• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    where are all the bird hunters at i have allways wanted to try it but dont know anyone that does it i would love to learn about it and see how the dogs work the birds and not even sure where to even look where to start at :dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Worst case scenario, go to one of the locations of the DNR put-and-take hunts this week (starting Saturday) and ask if any of the hunting groups have any extra birds you can buy and hunt with them or if you can just tag along.

Tell them you've never bird hunted before and you want to learn. You may very well be shot down by a bunch of them, but you may just get lucky and find a great bird-hunting group that you can hunt with for years to come.

The group I hunt with has been going to Glendale every year for more than 30 years now. I would invite you to join, but it isn't my place. There are a select few old-timers in the group and they decide who gets invited (for safety/security reasons) and I was only invited within the last few years. I would be out of place to invite a stranger. But knowing the guys in the group, if one were standing at the office at check-in asking about extra birds, they would more than likely let you hunt with them, and would do a very good job of teaching you and ensuring you got a bird or two.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Watching this thread closely.

I've been wanting to get into bird hunting (specifically dove) and bought a gun for it last weekend.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Watching this thread closely.

I've been wanting to get into bird hunting (specifically dove) and bought a gun for it last weekend.

Dove hunting is different from most "bird hunting".
    The best dove hunting I ever did was over a hay field that was mowed the day before. We were hiding along the edges of it. So you are mostly just pass shooting at the doves as they come in to feed. Most dove hunting is done in September. The state game areas plant food plots with grain crops and they have hunters assigned to each field. You usually hunker down in those food plots and shoot them as the come in.

Let me add that it is the only upland birds I will hunt without a dog. 90% of the enjoyment of bird hunting (for me anyway) is being out with the dogs.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Dove hunting is different from most "bird hunting".
    The best dove hunting I ever did was over a hay field that was mowed the day before. We were hiding along the edges of it. So you are mostly just pass shooting at the doves as they come in to feed. Most dove hunting is done in September. The state game areas plant food plots with grain crops and they have hunters assigned to each field. You usually hunker down in those food plots and shoot them as the come in.

Yeah I went with my uncles once when I was younger and it looked like a blast!
    Just shoot and wait for the next round to come over.

I also want to try dusting a few crows..

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah I went with my uncles once when I was younger and it looked like a blast!
    Just shoot and wait for the next round to come over.

I also want to try dusting a few crows..

Believe it or not, there is a crow season because of the Mexicans. There is some treaty or something. Unless that has changed. One of the funnest shoots I was ever on was crow shooting. My uncle had one of those recordings of crows fighting an owl playing over a loudspeaker. The crows just kept streaming in on us.

Top Bottom