• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    DNR says there are NO Black Bear in Indiana. There for there is no season on Black Bears. Who had the trail cam pics of the bears in Brown County?

illmaniac123

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    East Indianapolis
    I never heard about anything being on a trailcam in brown county. They had that crazy guy let out all of the exotic animals but they only have a monkey running around now. Call the DNR and see what you can do about them

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are many pioneer stories about grizzly and black bears.

Along with every variety of north american animal. Cougars, elk, several variety of deer, bison, wolves, coyote, etc...

Indiana hunters and farmers are so prolific at what they do, that everything big enough to kill with a muzzle loading rifle was dead or chased off by 1850.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    In the Indiana State Museum, there is recorded history of black bear in Indiana. You can see it on display of native wildlife.

'Tis a shame we still don't have 'em. I'd prefer black bear to wolves.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Before the draining of the grand kankakee marsh there were many species not here now including Bison.

I have no doubt that black bear either roamed thru Indiana, if not made their home here, despite what their traditional native range might list.

Cougar too.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    There was a black bear hit by a car in Rush County a few years ago. I'm sure there are a few around. But probably they head towards high wooded part of the state. A cougar was seen last fall about this time in Shelby County.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The journals of the settlers are very interesting reading. Many years ago I read about a fellow named Moore, the founder of Mooresville, just sw of Indy, used to watch bears play in a nearby meadow. I also read another about another settler that killed and ate a bear near Martinsville. After having made bear stew myself, I can see why.;)

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    The locals around where I hunt in Southern IN swear there's black bear and they think they have seen them. I'm not sure but Jack Daniels and Jim Beam may have helped them to see those bears:dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There have been some bears in Eastern KY for at least 30 years so I would be surprised if some of them haven't traveled some.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The last report I read said black bears may have crossed the Ohio River and be present down in the hills of SE Indiana, but it hasn't been confirmed. It could be that the locals don't want every yahoo down there trying to shoot one.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    there is/has without a doubt been black bear in Indiana. As stated, definitely before Indiana was so "settled", but even still the home range on a bear is quite large, so to assume that NONE ever wander in now a days is naive. There is no current established population of them in IN that is known. Just like the Mountain Lion.. Yes there are some, just not many. If our neighboring states have them, Indiana without a doubt will have them cross into our state lines at some point whether it be permanent or temporary. Are we likely to encounter one in the woods? Not at all, but its not impossible. :dunno:

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    there is/has without a doubt been black bear in Indiana. As stated, definitely before Indiana was so "settled", but even still the home range on a bear is quite large, so to assume that NONE ever wander in now a days is naive. There is no current established population of them in IN that is known. Just like the Mountain Lion.. Yes there are some, just not many. If our neighboring states have them, Indiana without a doubt will have them cross into our state lines at some point whether it be permanent or temporary. Are we likely to encounter one in the woods? Not at all, but its not impossible. :dunno:

So what are you saying? They don't heed the "No bears allowed" signs at the state line? :dunno:

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a hard time envisioning how they'd cross the Ohio River into Southern Indiana. Seems it'd be a pretty newsworthy event were one spotted crossing a bridge. The Ohio's a big, wide river.

Realm of possibility? Maybe. Probable? No.

Top Bottom