• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I lived in Lafayette, someone told me this:

Purdue had black and white so they would stand out and be readily recognized by different nationalities and cultures.

Lafayette City had black cars so they could sneak around easier and be more discreet.

ISP had white cars so they could be seen better on the freeways.

Sheriff's had tan and brown because...they don't want to change.:)

Might be pure BS, but it sounded kinda logical to me.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Fishers and Hamilton County both rock black patrol cars. Back when Current ISP super, Doug Carter, was Sheriff, he created quite a stir by switching from brown to black.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Fishers and Hamilton County both rock black patrol cars. Back when Current ISP super, Doug Carter, was Sheriff, he created quite a stir by switching from brown to black.

He sure did, PO'd the Sherriff association. He said it cost to much to buy and paint them traditional brown two-tone and they had far less value when they were sold...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I enforce it. :D Instant stopping charge.

You must be the only one VUPD (if you're talking about window tinting). I'm still not sure why the window tinting places that do it aren't prosecuted. I know that when going over options for getting mine done at Ziebart, they flat out said they were limited by law on how dark they could go on side windows, but obviously a lot of places still do it. In fact, I think the guy at Ziebart called it "beer tinting" - meaning the police couldn't tell if you were drinking a beer while driving because of the darkness of the tint.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've been known to stop for this charge. Depends on how much that 2-tone still look like a police car. Some people try to get away with looking like a police car.

IC 5-22-22-9 Disposal of law enforcement vehicles
    Sec. 9. (a) If a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is a model year of 1994 or after and is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color by transferring the vehicle to:

(1) a person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:

(A) a monochrome color scheme; or

(B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;

before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana;

(2) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person must repaint the vehicle in:

(A) a monochrome color scheme; or

(B) a color scheme that does not duplicate the color scheme of an Indiana law enforcement vehicle;

before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person to be operated on a public highway in Indiana;

(3) a person who will sell or otherwise transfer the vehicle to another person who will not operate the vehicle on a public highway in Indiana, the person is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is sold or otherwise transferred to the other person; or

(4) another governmental body, the governmental body is not required to repaint the vehicle before the vehicle is operated on a public highway in Indiana.

(b) Before a purchasing agency disposes of a law enforcement vehicle that is painted in a color scheme of more than one (1) color, the purchasing agency must provide a copy of this subsection to the prospective purchaser of the vehicle.

(c) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Am I OK?

19605Ro.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What about the people driving around in all white obviously former LE vehicles, including the spotlight on the driver's side? That seems as egregious as the two tone issue.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Spotlights are not mentioned in the code as far as I know, so they’re ok. Lots of work vehicles have spotlights so it would be hard to regulate them when they have legitimate use.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Could you alternate the panels on the cars? 1/2 of the cars are black with white doors and hood, 1/2 are white with black doors and hood. Then come time to sell just swap them out so you have half of the fleet solid white and half solid black? Resale problem solved. LOL

Top Bottom