• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting take on Erik Killmonger.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/02/black-panther-erik-killmonger/553805/

Parts of it I disagree with, but I can see the author's point.

ETA:
    I will expand on one area that I think the author overlooks - N'Jobu ended up influencing T'Chaka anyway. Before he died, the king was expressing a desire to become more integrated into the larger world. In fact, under his reign, Wakanda had sent relief workers to Lagos (where they end up getting killed).

T'Chaka, at some level, probably sympathized with N'Jobu's goals, just didn't agree with the means or timetable.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I saw it with my son yesterday. We enjoyed it, I rather liked that it was fairly different from the other superhero movies, the genre is getting kind of tired at this point. My chief complaint is that it continues the use of the rapid fire camera changes during the action sequences that are so common now. It makes it hard for me to follow what is going on and my tired eyes literally hurt by the end of the movie. I really liked the tech, particularly the suit he wears. I did not care for all the shots of the dudes with the large rings implanted in their lips, why on earth would you do that to yourself? The young man next to me, not my son, but one of his friends that coincidentally was there too, groaned every time they showed that.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I saw the movie last night as well, and I can say as a kid who was a marvel fiend, this was well executed. The themes were well thought out along with the build up of Wakanda/background as a whole that will now let marvel make many sequels and possibly even a prequel showing how the "traitor" was actually trying to do good out in the community etc. Me being a technology lover, the suits, and tech as a whole was cool to see.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There's some irony I can't just put my finger on...

:D

It sometimes difficult to discuss racism in other cultures without being racist. :D

I will say, having become familiar with several other cultures in my life, American "racism" is unique to America. It totally makes sense that it is, given our unique history on the matter.

In other cultures, though, it is kinda more about being openly prejudiced against everyone that isn't from your own "tribe." It doesn't necessarily mean you treat them worse (although it usually does), it is just another observation point. Like how someone's hair color or eye color.

They are more open about in many ways than American culture is. So, they can "get away" with saying things that would be taboo here in the US.

I'm not drawing lines between right/wrong. Just observing that things are different.

Top Bottom