• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    My routine: after cleaning store the rifle barrel down on top of some cloth rags for 3 days. Run dry patch, if it has rust coloring clean again. Repeat process until dry patch comes out clean.

At the range. Clean barrel with 90% alcohol patch, clean with dry patch, fire one percussion cap without powder.

Always works for me. TC Hawkins .50 cal rifle.

indydave

Plinker
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    before my smokeless ML i used blue dawn water and windex w amonia then poured libereral amounts of near boiling water avoiding my scope. let dry it dries quick then TC borebutter it melts an sinks in the pores of the metal. or if in a hurry Eezox wipe down while hot to the touch check on it monthly
    never have had a spot of rust show on the steel i was shooting black powder and pyrodex then.
    777/ blackhorn powder is a lot more forgiving

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I was banished from cleaning guns in the house years ago. Strictly a garage or barn project now.
    I was cleaning a small number of 50/45 brass the other day and the smell was commented upon! another good reason to look forward to warmer weather. Doing this outside makes us all happier!

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I shoot BP all the time. Water, a drop of Dawn sop , scrub a little and done. Oil for next time. Not complicated. Have a small air compressor under the bench to blow off water.

Usually in the Mancave downstairs but sometimes in the kitchen. Wife comments on the smell but likes to shoot with me at times so no bog deal.

Don

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Used crisco after boiling water and dawn for years. I've gotten away from BP entirely in the last year. Since I can deer hunt with centerfire on the farm, no real need to extend the season for me any more.

Top Bottom