• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDY45

Plinker
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    I think this would be Great, I have both Modern and In-line muzzleloaders,But love shooting my Ruger Old Armys Makes you feel like Joesy Wales :draw::draw:!!!

Last edited:

toad

Plinker
    Sep 6, 2012
    northern MI
    I am a fan of cap and ball muzzleloaders, nothing aginst in-lines, but they are the devil. I am new here, but hope to see more on the muzzleloaders.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I shot this last Tuesday

And ordered this which arrived Friday.

IMG_20120928_131215.jpg

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Pedersoli Brown Bess .50 caliber flintlock from the Revolutionary War era. I plan to use this as a prop and to reinforce history at Appleseed. Plus shoot it for fun. BP load is 75 grains.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I went completely "new-school" on the old smoke-pole idea this year. I bought an electric muzzle-loader.

I know, I know, there are traditionalists out there who will scream, but it's legal, and I'm going to use it.

It's a .50 cal CVA "Electra". It does not use a primer, but rather a 9volt battery for ignition. That's right, no more fumbling around in the dark, only to drop my primer, or even to realize that I'd forgotten them. No more serious delayed ignitions. All of that is in my past.
    This CVA has basically a spark plug in the breach face, and a 9 volt battery in the stock. There is an on/off switch on the tang where a safety would normally be located. It takes about 10 seconds to charge, but after that you're ready to rock.

If you forget and leave your firearm "turned on", no worries, it will still have a charge for up to 28 days! One 9volt battery is supposed to be good for 500 shots! How much would 500 primers cost you? And for a single 9volt battery?

To continue, it sports a fluted stainless Bergara barrel, a real-tree camo composite stock, and fire-sights.
    With IMR "White-Hot" powder pellets (100grains) and Power-belt Areo-tipped bullets, I can hold 3-4" groups at 150 yards.

It's a breeze to clean, and I don't believe that I own a center-fire rifle that fires any faster. There is absolutely NO noticeable lag time in the ignition. When you squeeze the trigger, it goes boom NOW, and it goes where you point it.

I can't wait for muzzle-loader season this year.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    I went completely "new-school" on the old smoke-pole idea this year. I bought an electric muzzle-loader.

I know, I know, there are traditionalists out there who will scream, but it's legal, and I'm going to use it.

It's a .50 cal CVA "Electra". It does not use a primer, but rather a 9volt battery for ignition. That's right, no more fumbling around in the dark, only to drop my primer, or even to realize that I'd forgotten them. No more serious delayed ignitions. All of that is in my past.
    This CVA has basically a spark plug in the breach face, and a 9 volt battery in the stock. There is an on/off switch on the tang where a safety would normally be located. It takes about 10 seconds to charge, but after that you're ready to rock.

If you forget and leave your firearm "turned on", no worries, it will still have a charge for up to 28 days! One 9volt battery is supposed to be good for 500 shots! How much would 500 primers cost you? And for a single 9volt battery?

To continue, it sports a fluted stainless Bergara barrel, a real-tree camo composite stock, and fire-sights.
    With IMR "White-Hot" powder pellets (100grains) and Power-belt Areo-tipped bullets, I can hold 3-4" groups at 150 yards.

It's a breeze to clean, and I don't believe that I own a center-fire rifle that fires any faster. There is absolutely NO noticeable lag time in the ignition. When you squeeze the trigger, it goes boom NOW, and it goes where you point it.

I can't wait for muzzle-loader season this year.

They look pretty cool, the only negative thing I have heard it that some states have outlawed them for ML season, due to the ignition system it looks like. It is not as handy to make the gun "unloaded" (taking out the battery) as it is for other modern inlines (just taking out the cap). I think that I would still get one though.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I am thinking of getting a revolver for my first BP. Anyone have a suggestions for a good one that can be easily found today?

Also if there is a good starter kit? I saw some stuff on Cabela's but don't know the first thing about the quality of the BP stuff sold there obviously.

Do revolvers require percussion caps? If so I guess I will be going single shot.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am thinking of getting a revolver for my first BP. Anyone have a suggestions for a good one that can be easily found today?

Also if there is a good starter kit? I saw some stuff on Cabela's but don't know the first thing about the quality of the BP stuff sold there obviously.

Do revolvers require percussion caps? If so I guess I will be going single shot.

All black powder firearms require a "cap" of one sort or another, even the single shots,
    Musket
    or now 9v battery (rifle only)

unless you go really old, and go flintlock.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    All black powder firearms require a "cap" of one sort or another, even the single shots,
    Musket
    or now 9v battery (rifle only)

unless you go really old, and go flintlock.
    Yeah my interest for BP guns are for if things get bad long term and i need to make my own powder so it looks like flint lock it is.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Check out www.dixiegunworks.com they have about the largest selection of flintlock pistols. You can buy reproduction kits or pistols/rifles that are all ready put together. I just joined the flintlock era by purchasing a Pedersoli Brown Bess. (Photo above). I'm probably going to get a pistol by next spring. This era of firearms is quite interesting. I've become more interested the more I read.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/www.dixiegunworks.com

Grizhicks

Expert
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    atalon -- While a flintlock would be my 'last resort' back-up, I would look at at cap 'n ball pistol before that. 6 shots before reload vs. only one; and while you might run out of caps at some point, I would prefer to use it (over a single shot) as long as possible.

If buying a revolver, I would not buy anything from 'Traditions' and I would try to stay away from brass frames. Any steel frame revolver by Uberti or Pietta would be the way to go, and should be able to get for less then $300.

thekicks6

Plinker
    Apr 4, 2012
    Does anyone have any knowledge of keith lisle flintlocks and how much they cost. I know they're expensive but I was wondering about a specific range. I sent him an email about it not 10 minutes ago but until he replies I would appreciate any knowledge you can share with me. Thanks guys

indy1919a4

Master
    Jan 7, 2011
    Does anyone have any knowledge of keith lisle flintlocks and how much they cost. I know they're expensive but I was wondering about a specific range. I sent him an email about it not 10 minutes ago but until he replies I would appreciate any knowledge you can share with me. Thanks guys

I went to that web site, Those were beautiful firearms... I did not see any prices.. Do you know what kind of price ranges these guns go for.

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Atalon,
    In buying a cap n ball pistol I would recommend you spend the money and buy a Ruger or Colt of you have some money to 'burn'. Most of the foreign makers have machining issues and require a bit of 'tuning' or gunsmithing work.
    There are advantages to single shot pistols and revolvers.
    I shoot a Pedersoli 'Kentucky' .54 percussion and am very accurate with it. I have an Armi San Marco 1847 Walker and it has binding problems that I am currently filing out.

As an fyi, there are many good pistol/rifle makers out there and there is a great Gun show the third weekend in Feb. at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds. The guy I am apprenticed too has about 300k in guns for sale and also many other dealers too with fine examples of weapons.

I shoot up at Hamilton Cnty Fish and Game the first Sunday (11am) of each month. Come on up and see us.

Cheers, DonK

Last edited:

Lethgar

Plinker
    Oct 18, 2012
    If you're just starting out, a single shot pistol is a lot less initial investment and can still be a ton of fun.

dagger dog

Plinker
    Oct 21, 2012
    Harrison County
    How about black powder cartridge ! Stuff the case full push a bullet on top (no air space allowed), and let her rip.

If it's a six shooter 45 Colt caliber you can stuff acase full of FFG compressed with a 8-10 BNH lead 255 gr lead boolit. It's good for 850-900 fps from a 7" 1873 Colt or clone, and it rips, do the math !

It really smokes too, but it also snorts and bucks you gotta hang on. If you use a RNFP boolit you can load it in a lever carbine and it will punch a hole through both sides of any deer .

Or try the old 45-70 warhorse with a 405-500 gr boolit out of a Trapdoor, Sharps, H&R Handi. Stuff that case as full of Goex FFG as you can get it and still get the boolit crimped with out distortion. MAKE SURE YOU GOT A RECOIL PAD. Now this one will punch a hole through just about anything.

I'm all for a black powder sub forum.

Heck you can even load and shoot great grandads Iver or S&W break top and have fun.

BPC is way fun.

I'm all for a blackpowder sub forum.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom