• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    While I can't comment on the quality of the kit, I purchased that same pistol already assembled. Two range trips out with it and it and very accurate. Always gets a look from fellow shooters. I say go for it!

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I'm looking for a mentor to teach me about shooting a muzzle loader. I have a 50-cal percussion rifle that I picked up used and have nothing else to go with it. So, for starters I need to know what else I should get and perhaps the pros/cons of the options.

Thanks in Advance

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'm looking for a mentor to teach me about shooting a muzzle loader. I have a 50-cal percussion rifle that I picked up used and have nothing else to go with it. So, for starters I need to know what else I should get and perhaps the pros/cons of the options.

Thanks in Advance

MCFG MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range has a M/L shoot on 21 May (Sat). If you want we can meet up, I'll bring all the "stuff" all you need to bring is your rifle. What kind it it?

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    That would be fantastic! I used to shoot FNS there regularly until I moved to McCordsville. I'll pm my contact info.

Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. - Hawken Rifle - Made in Spain - .50 caliber

OK, I'll contact you as the date gets closer. CVA is a solid company and the M/L I've seen by them were good shooters. I have a CVA Bobcat and it's still a great shooter.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    The third Sunday of each month,there is a ML shoot at Fall Creek Valley C.C.-----------fcvcc.org-------from McCordsville---hwy 67 to hwy 36,East on 36 to 100east--North to Gilmore Rd.------East on Gilmore 1/3mi--------you are there----------------->>>>>at hwy 36,and hwy 109<<-North,on 109 from Hwy 36 aprox 1 mile--West on Gilmore 2/3 mi
    Ask for Fred Peterson,or Gerald Jones----both nice guys,always ready to help.

In case you might be interested---fcv has trap fields---and 10,25,50,and 100yd rifle and pistol ranges

worddoer

Master
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    OK...I know that this may have been answered in the past at some point, but after looking through many of the old pages, I cannot seem to find what I am looking for. I probably just missed it I'm sure.

My son just signed up for Muzzleloader in 4-H. Just before he did that, they had a demo day at my local club (where the Adams county 4-H muzzleloaders shoot). While letting my son try one of the rifles, the instructor let me try one as well. I know the instructor when I used to have time to volunteer as a range officer at the club and it was slow, so they had time and available rifles. I have never shot a muzzleloader before and thought it seemed interesting. I own many rifles and have been shooting cartridge firearms for 30 or so years now, but never a muzzleloader.

If I remember correctly, they were Thompson Center rifles. They used shotgun primers and the loose powder (not the pellets I have seen at Rural King).

Now, in addition to the black rifle bug, I may have been bitten by the muzzle loading bug.

So here is my question........ I thought in the past I saw kits that gave you a rifle and most everything you needed to shoot a muzzleloader (with the exception of powder and primers). I don't want to buy cheap junk, but I don't need a hand crafted $10,000 replica either. I am not knowledgeable about muzzleloader manufactures and who has good quality for the money. And I have not recently seen any of the kits I thought I saw in years past. I would like to keep it at $300 or less for the total investment since I am not yet sure how long I will be interested in this. Is that even possible? Are there kits for beginners that include all the accessories needed?

I am open to purchasing used if I knew what to look for. But if I look used, what list of items do I need?

What do the far more knowledgeable INGO'ers suggest.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    OK...I know that this may have been answered in the past at some point, but after looking through many of the old pages, I cannot seem to find what I am looking for. I probably just missed it I'm sure.

My son just signed up for Muzzleloader in 4-H. Just before he did that, they had a demo day at my local club (where the Adams county 4-H muzzleloaders shoot). While letting my son try one of the rifles, the instructor let me try one as well. I know the instructor when I used to have time to volunteer as a range officer at the club and it was slow, so they had time and available rifles. I have never shot a muzzleloader before and thought it seemed interesting. I own many rifles and have been shooting cartridge firearms for 30 or so years now, but never a muzzleloader.

If I remember correctly, they were Thompson Center rifles. They used shotgun primers and the loose powder (not the pellets I have seen at Rural King).

Now, in addition to the black rifle bug, I may have been bitten by the muzzle loading bug.

So here is my question........ I thought in the past I saw kits that gave you a rifle and most everything you needed to shoot a muzzleloader (with the exception of powder and primers). I don't want to buy cheap junk, but I don't need a hand crafted $10,000 replica either. I am not knowledgeable about muzzleloader manufactures and who has good quality for the money. And I have not recently seen any of the kits I thought I saw in years past. I would like to keep it at $300 or less for the total investment since I am not yet sure how long I will be interested in this. Is that even possible? Are there kits for beginners that include all the accessories needed?

I am open to purchasing used if I knew what to look for. But if I look used, what list of items do I need?

What do the far more knowledgeable INGO'ers suggest.

Just after the season ended Rural King put their muzzle loaders on sale.
    I picked up a CVA Wolf for $79.99 brand new.
    It didn't come as a kit, but I already had all the accessories I need.

I'd be willing to bet you could go to RKguns.com and find the kit you're looking for, and it should be less than $250.

worddoer

Master
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Just after the season ended Rural King put their muzzle loaders on sale.
    I picked up a CVA Wolf for $79.99 brand new.
    It didn't come as a kit, but I already had all the accessories I need.

I'd be willing to bet you could go to RKguns.com and find the kit you're looking for, and it should be less than $250.

I looked at the RKguns website, but I could not find any muzzle loaders there. I tried the regular website as well, but no luck.

Any other suggestions? I would prefer to skip Gander or Dicks. Not a fan of those stores.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I looked at the RKguns website, but I could not find any muzzle loaders there. I tried the regular website as well, but no luck.

Any other suggestions? I would prefer to skip Gander or Dicks. Not a fan of those stores.

I know for a fact that Geneo's Hunting & Fishing in Lafayette has several CVA's on the shelf for a good price.
    PM me if you'd like his contact info.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Try Deer Creek Products in Waldron, IN.
    They are also on line. A local company that supports black powder shooting. They are also a distributor for GOEX black powder.

worddoer

Master
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    OK...I have looked online at many places. I have been able to find some Traditions or CVA rifles for around the $175 area. But since I am not sure what to get, I am thinking I need to go somewhere that has experience and lots of knowledge with muzzleloaders. I know there is a shop who is a member here on INGO that does reloading classes and specializes in reloading. Do we have any shops here in the Northeast that do this same thing with Muzzleloaders?

Is there a shop in Northeast Indiana (Ft. Wayne area or south) that anyone could recommend that could walk me through the purchasing process?

GoBlueHoosier

Plinker
    Feb 23, 2016
    Noblesville
    OK...I have looked online at many places. I have been able to find some Traditions or CVA rifles for around the $175 area. But since I am not sure what to get, I am thinking I need to go somewhere that has experience and lots of knowledge with muzzleloaders. I know there is a shop who is a member here on INGO that does reloading classes and specializes in reloading. Do we have any shops here in the Northeast that do this same thing with Muzzleloaders?

Is there a shop in Northeast Indiana (Ft. Wayne area or south) that anyone could recommend that could walk me through the purchasing process?

Try Albertson's Sport Shop in Warsaw, IN. Bass & Bucks in Wabash, IN

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Thanks singlesix for the muzzleloader lesson last weekend. You got me hooked and I'll be out practicing this weekend. BTW, my wife will probably hound me until I get her a flintlock.

Top Bottom