• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Somewhat in the manner of Paul Matthews, you shoot muzzleloading bullets in a center fire.
    An example would be taking a .45-70 and shooting a 100 grains of black. The bullet of course is slightly under bore diameter and expands into the grooves, pretty much the same as done with large capacity black powder cartridges. No different from shooting any other muzzleloader except your "inline" can also be fired using brass cases filled with smokeless should the urge come upon you.

A really quiet .45ACP bolt action would really be just too much fun when it could also be muzzleloaded with 400 to 500 grains of paper patched soft lead.

jamesb

Plinker
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well I am shooting BPCR in 40-65 and 45-110 with the holy black if that counts as "shooting large bore centerfires as muzzleloaders". I am not sure how far you would need to compress to get 100gr of the black in a 45-70 case. Maybe if you filled it to the rim compressed with a wad and then seated the bullet in groves and just slid the case in behind it. I have read about shuetzen rifle shooters doing it but not anything that large. Are you talking about using a round ball loaded in the case or loading a case as I described then feeding the a round ball into the muzzle and seating it on the case? My current load for the 45-110 is 90 grains ff with a slight compression behind a 535gr postel. Haven't worked up the load for the 40-65 yet.

Dimik

Plinker
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    I just recently got into shooting black powder. Shooting a cap and ball revolver is just way too much fun! No wonder you can't have them in NYC. I sence a wave of muzzleloader purchases coming.

shootr

Plinker
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    I wait until The NMLRA shoot in the spring and fall and then I buy it there. Flintlocks in Niveveh, In. might be a place to try.

tday16

Plinker
    Aug 27, 2011
    Does anyone know of any places to purchase real black powder in Indiana? I just purchased my first flintlock and I need some powder. I just want to get a couple pounds to hold me over until the NMLRA spring shoot when I’ll stock up. I’ve only ever shot percussion guns before using substitutes.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Does anyone know of any places to purchase real black powder in Indiana? I just purchased my first flintlock and I need some powder. I just want to get a couple pounds to hold me over until the NMLRA spring shoot when I’ll stock up. I’ve only ever shot percussion guns before using substitutes.

Where are you located Tday? There are places to be found depending on where you are.

Congrats on the new sparker too. Post up some pics if you can.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I just recently got into shooting black powder. Shooting a cap and ball revolver is just way too much fun! No wonder you can't have them in NYC. I sence a wave of muzzleloader purchases coming.

You said it friend. Colt 1860 Army 44cal.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Who's at Friendship? We're just about.4.spots North of the Memphis mafia cabin right on the road. Off and on rain has kept us off of the woods walk, but the primitive range was open.

Between the weather and the fee hikes, it was not crowded at all. I found a nice old Scott & sons shotgun reasonably priced. And a very reasonably priced small caliber powder flask. LOL. Oh, and a lead hammer. To match my intellect.

Got to have nice visit with cousin Carlton, away from lodge or a funeral, for a change. And spent a couple of great days with the fabulous Johnston boys, and their chef, Mark. Boy, do we eat good.

So, anyone else here? How's your experience?

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    What would be recommendations for a flintlock kit for a beginner? Im wanting it to eventually do rendezvous with but also want to maybe hunt deer with.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    You need a little flint knapping hammer and a screwdriver. Lots of places have a combo tool.
    You need a vent pick.
    You need a nice brass or steel ramrod, with a cleaning jag.
    You need a worm screw for pulling balls, and a wire patch screw.
    A breech scraper helps get the bottom corners of the barrel cleaned out.
    You need a pound bottle of 2 or 3 F black powder.
    You need a pound of 5 F.
    You need a powder flask, and a measure.
    You need a priming flask.
    You need a supply of balls, and patches.
    You need cleaning patches.
    You need a ball starter.
    Bore butter is the best for wiping down your rifle and oiling the bore between uses.
    A few spare flints is always a good idea.
    A bag to carry your powder, patches, ball, and tools is a must. It can be cloth or leather.
    I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting.
    Have fun!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    If anyone wants to see the 1860's, 51's etc in competition come out to Paradise Pass in Etna Green Aug 9-10-11. It's the Indiana Blackpowder Guild annual championship. 1860-1892 rifles, cap and cartridge handguns and double or lever shotguns. Side matches on Friday, main match on Saturday and Sunday. Shooting from 9:00am until noonish both days. I'll be shooting my Blackhawk .44s, an 1892 and a double gun. Full charges of APP in all. We may play with a Sharps or two also!

ashby koss

Shooter
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Derp, just found this sticky. Yes we should get a separate sub room channel whatever.

Ferreting out the black powder stuff from the modern cartridge is daunting and blackpowder and muzzleloading is valid deer hunting.

Top Bottom