• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have a TC rocky mountain carbine which is more traditional style cap and ball rifle. I have used 385gr maxi balls in this gun since I bought it. I was looking today and it is getting harder to find the maxi balls now, not impossible mind you, but they are not everywhere like they used to be. My question is, can I shoot the sabots in this? My fear is the plastic getting in the end of the barrel and not being able to get it out like you would be able to do in an inline. :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a TC rocky mountain carbine which is more traditional style cap and ball rifle. I have used 385gr maxi balls in this gun since I bought it. I was looking today and it is getting harder to find the maxi balls now, not impossible mind you, but they are not everywhere like they used to be. My question is, can I shoot the sabots in this? My fear is the plastic getting in the end of the barrel and not being able to get it out like you would be able to do in an inline. :dunno:

YES! Go ahead and shoot the sabots. You'll find as a rule, they are a little cleaner on your rifle (much easier to clean afterward)
    Try Power-Belt sabots, they are VERY accurate, easy to load, and as I said, easier to clean after.

If a sabot wad(plastic) DOES come off in the barrel, either shoot it out, or use a "worm" puller;)

Hammer

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    YES! Go ahead and shoot the sabots. You'll find as a rule, they are a little cleaner on your rifle (much easier to clean afterward)
    Try Power-Belt sabots, they are VERY accurate, easy to load, and as I said, easier to clean after.

If a sabot wad(plastic) DOES come off in the barrel, either shoot it out, or use a "worm" puller;)

Thanks for the reply. I almost got a pack today, but wanted to check first. I just hate to sight this thing in again with a lighter round. This thing kicks like a mule.

Any suggestions on loads to start out with? With the maxi balls I was loading 120gr of FFg.

Also heard that if the barrel does not have sufficient twist it will not react as well with the sabots. The white mountain carbine has a 1:38 RH

YES... load em up and shoot them.... and i think you will find a general improvement in accuracy....
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...t_do_do_with_a_rainy_thursday.html#post590969

Seen that thread when I was posting this one, very good shooting BTW.

I have a Remington 700 stainless in .45 with a 3X9 bushnell scope, but like the old traditional style better. I dont know why, just something about it.

skier11

Plinker
    Jan 10, 2009
    Bainbridge
    I use the power belts in mine. They are dead on accurate. I use 110 gr. FFg. I'd have to dig out the package to tell you the gr. bullet. What caliber rifle do you have?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hammer;591114 Also heard that if the barrel does not have sufficient twist it will not react as well with the sabots. [/quote said:
    This is absolutely true. It has been many years since I shot muzzleloaders competively, but at that time we used a "slower" twist in the barrel and lead round balls. This was target shooting not hunting. I think my green mountain barrel had something like a 1:66 twist. Not at all accurate with sabots. My guess is that most new muzzelloading rifles are intended primarily for hunting and ae designed around sabots. My suggestion is try them. 1:38 is probably a medium twist intended to give flexability.

Also powder load will greatly affect accuracy. If you are using granular powder try a light load first. Shoot for groups. Increase the charge 5 grains and shoot for groups. The groups will tighten as powder is increased. Once the charge gets too high the groups will increase in size. Find the powder and projectile that works best and go for it.

Hammer

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I use the power belts in mine. They are dead on accurate. I use 110 gr. FFg. I'd have to dig out the package to tell you the gr. bullet. What caliber rifle do you have?

I bought some of the 250 gr T/C sabots, have not had a chance to try them out yet though. Oh, mine is a 50 cal

This is absolutely true. It has been many years since I shot muzzleloaders competively, but at that time we used a "slower" twist in the barrel and lead round balls. This was target shooting not hunting. I think my green mountain barrel had something like a 1:66 twist. Not at all accurate with sabots. My guess is that most new muzzelloading rifles are intended primarily for hunting and ae designed around sabots. My suggestion is try them. 1:38 is probably a medium twist intended to give flexability.

Also powder load will greatly affect accuracy. If you are using granular powder try a light load first. Shoot for groups. Increase the charge 5 grains and shoot for groups. The groups will tighten as powder is increased. Once the charge gets too high the groups will increase in size. Find the powder and projectile that works best and go for it.

Yes, it takes time to get a B P rifle shooting at its prime. Thanks for the info. :yesway:

1:38 is not bad for sabots; I've had good luck using sabots with 1:48. Personally I just stick with roundballs.

Thought about the round balls, but just like the accuracy of either a maxi ball or sabot.

Top Bottom