• ...and so much more!
  • Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Stepford...aka Fishers, IN
    Got my very own scary black rifle today. :rockwoot:
    An almost brand new DPMS AR15 20" with A2 upper, quad rails and a chinzy red dot. :)

I can feel the fever coming on already. First things first is to swap out the standard fixed stock and put on one of those fancy Magpul jobs.
    Next is about 500 rounds of ammo and a trip to the range to see how this SOB shoots.

I'll get some pics up soon for you all to critique. :)

I'm sure this disease will get worse after I shoot it.
    Anyway, if anyone has any pearls of wisdom for a AR noob, feel free to contribute.

Thanks.

39974_419989006635_588141635_5303794_5946101_n.jpg

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Got my very own scary black rifle today. :rockwoot:

Anyway, if anyone has any pearls of wisdom for a AR noob, feel free to contribute.

Thanks.

Congrats on your new BBBR (Big Bad Black Rifle).

I don't own any of the AR15's myself but after going to the range with both an AK and a buddies AR, I can say clean it, then clean it some more and then when you think it's spotlesss, clean it again. Seems like we had to clean the AR 3 times for every time we clean the AK just to keep the AR shooting.

Also I would buy several different brands of ammo for the first range trip sometimes it seems like AR's can be picky about the rounds you put through them from time to time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Thanks.

If or more likely when, someone tells you that you shouldn't be happy with your gun because it isn't spec'd the same way they want theirs just ignore it. There's a lot of people out there who think everyone should have their gun setup just like theirs or it's wrong. You'll like that gun alot and it's a good one.

Every once in a while, it's not a bad idea to get out a spray can of carb cleaner and hose the inside of the receiver and bolt carrier assembly down to remove even the finest bits of crud. Then oil it.

Basically clean it, oil it, shoot it, repeat.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    EBR disease I'm starting to get it too!!!! I'm working crazy amounts of OT for the next couple weeks so I can get it for a birthday present to myself!!!! Fastmover enjoy it and I'm a little jealous you got yours first. :D

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    If you think BRD is bad now just wait til you buy a .22 kit, then it gets REAL BAD.

You'll never put the darn thing down after that, it'll just be cheap shot after cheap joyful shot.:ar15:

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If you think BRD is bad now just wait til you buy a .22 kit, then it gets REAL BAD.

You'll never put the darn thing down after that, it'll just be cheap shot after cheap joyful shot.:ar15:

Well funny enough I just acquired a 10/22 about 3 weeks ago from a friend of mine so I've got something to plink with.
    I thought I'd have the fever converting it to an AR style stock, but I guess the disease took over and I ended up buying my DPMS. :)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I can feel the fever coming on already. First things first is to swap out the standard fixed stock and put on one of those fancy Magpul jobs.
    Next is about 500 rounds of ammo and a trip to the range to see how this SOB shoots.

I'll get some pics up soon for you all to critique. :)

I'm sure this disease will get worse after I shoot it.

Thanks.

I'd take it to the range with the fixed stock FIRST, and then, if you don't like the fixed stock, replace it. If you replace it before ever shooting it, you may be spending money to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Fastmover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yeah I'll be heading to the range this weekend to give it a trial run. Thing is I'd like my wife to be able to shoot it if needed and she is of small stature.
    If I end up liking the fixed stock, I guess I'll just have to get an M4 type that will fit the wife.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah I'll be heading to the range this weekend to give it a trial run. Thing is I'd like my wife to be able to shoot it if needed and she is of small stature.
    If I end up liking the fixed stock, I guess I'll just have to get an M4 type that will fit the wife.

That's the idea. I figured my wife is smaller than me so she gets the M4gery. I'll take my 20 A3 Hbar that's like my m16A4gery since it's bigger and heavier. There's always another excuse to buy another black rifle. That's how the disease spreads.

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    Yeah, just wait until you get into the other Variants. I just ordered a 458 socom for my EBR. I am hoping to finish my lower at the 1500 next weekend, making my second complete AR.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    congrats on the rifle and disease, it is by far my favorite rifle platform with so many different options. I thought i had a problem and i only have 4 total rifles and and extra complete lower waiting on a .458 socom upper.:):

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    if anyone has any pearls of wisdom for a AR noob, feel free to contribute.

If you encounter a stoppage at the range it'd probably be handy to know the SPORTS drill.

Slap the bottom of the magazine to ensure it's seated.
    Pull the charging handle fully to the rear.
    Observe the ejection port to make sure that the stoppage was cleared.
    Release the charging handle.
    Re-aquire your Target & Shoot.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I am starting to get the black rifle fever. God help me!

Yes they are a very addictive rifle platform, so many factory & aftermarket parts, configurations, optical & caliber options that they are literally like an adult tinker toy.

In fact their versatility is the AR platform's main strong point, you could own a dozen different AR's & not a single one could be like the next.

Top Bottom