• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I really appreciate everyone's advice. Right now I may be leaning towards an off the shelf upper and building my own lower.

What, specifically are the benefits of building your own lower? A few of the things I have seen on the net seem (at least with a rifle of decent quality) the main difference is options for control surfaces and some cost savings.

After looking at some of the steps involved for building an upper, I think I'll avoid this step for now. I figure, if I replace enough parts on the rifle I end up getting on this first one I should have nearly everything I need for the next upper. ;)

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    What, specifically are the benefits of building your own lower? A few of the things I have seen on the net seem (at least with a rifle of decent quality) the main difference is options for control surfaces and some cost savings.

Nothing really......except the chance to F something up if you are not careful.
    Detents and springs go flying never to be seen again. Your punch slips creating a big gouge through the anodizing. You don't support the "ear" well enough while driving in the roll pin for the trigger guard and snap it off.

Other than that.....it's FUN, but after you put a couple together, I'd just as soon buy one already put together. The thrill is gone :):

Take your time, do your research, I suggest going to M4Carbine.net and READING all of the "stickies". Educate yourself before you buy any thing.

Buy once, cry once. Cheap parts cost you in the long run.
    :twocents:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I go to bed every night thinking about an AR, i dont have one, i've never fired one even but i got to have one! but the money, the money its always about the money!

but in the mean time i keep reading and trying to learn as much as i can, its tough not having one in my hand to look at what folks are talking about as to parts etc.
    good luck to all

jake

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside

Thanks for the rec. I read around online and there are some great articles about those uppers.

I actually pulled the trigger on the 16" Mid-Length Upper with Bolt Carrier group.

Still shopping around for lowers, but I think I'll end up using the DPMS parts depending on the lower. I also need a foregrip, so I'll be shopping for that, and I'll also need a carry handle.

I AM SO EXCITED.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    People on this forum dont like it when people suggest you buy quality... So I have nothing to suggest.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    i just started my very own build. sounds like im in the same boat, but after im dome building, i've got everything i want and not what someone else built.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Spend a few more dollars and get a better LPK than the DPMS. Last kit I used was the Daniel Defense one. World of difference between the two.

People on this forum dont like it when people suggest you buy quality... So I have nothing to suggest.

Well, I hate to spike your haterade but I think I'll go for the daniel defence kit, thanks for the rec.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Some really good books on the subject are The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck & Clint McKee. This was the book that lead me step-by-step in building up my first couple of rifles. Their book, The AR-15 Complete Owners Guide is an excellent starter book as well.

Patrick Sweeney has written three books on the AR-15 platform. All are very detailed and full of useful information on quality of parts, optics, accessories and ammo.

The book Green Eyes, Black Rifle is a detailed training book on the fundamentals of AR combat shooting. It explains the basic concepts until you can get to a training course.

choppers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    My first & only so far i built myself with a little help from Brownells.com. It is a complete LMT upper & lower but it has an Ergo grip in dark earth, a SOPMOD collapsable stock in dark earth, Midwest Industries quad rail & folding rear sight in dark earth. The rest of the gun is black. I bought some parts from this site & some from other internet websites. Had a ton of fun doing it to and its just my style not to mention a complete new setup like this was over a thousand dollars easy & i got about $950. in it cause i was huntin for deals.

Top Bottom