• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I carry a 1911 and I want to get a better retention holster for when I OC. I'm seeking feedback from folks who are familiar with Blackhawk Serpa and Safariland ALS, especially from anyone who carries a 1911.

I have a good leather holster with a thumbstrap. What I am interested for purposes of this thread is a retention holster that actually locks the gun in place.

I've narrowed the choices down to either the Blackhawk Serpa CQC or Safariland ALS, but I'm open to others, just don't know about them.

I recently ready an article that was critical of the Serpa retention system: SERPA Holsters Should Be Discontinued | The Truth About Guns. Any thoughts on this? Serpas have been around for a long time, so I am not necessarily willing to give up on them due to one critical article like this one.

Mainly I am interested in:
    1. Safety
    2. Ease of operation under stress
    3. Comfort
    4. Low wear to surface of weapon.

Feedback on any of these features is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :ingo:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Some folks think the serpa is unsafe due to finger placement. On my m&p it puts my finger right on the slide where I want it. My biggest gripe is that the paddle assembly is flimsy, mine broke apart after about 2 years of light duty.

I've considered going to the ALS but having to relearn my draw mechanics is the biggest thing stopping me as I put alot of time into getting drawing from the Serpa down. I just use the belt slide on a wilderness 5 stitch belt at present.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Some folks think the serpa is unsafe due to finger placement. On my m&p it puts my finger right on the slide where I want it. My biggest gripe is that the paddle assembly is flimsy, mine broke apart after about 2 years of light duty.

I've considered going to the ALS but having to relearn my draw mechanics is the biggest thing stopping me as I put alot of time into getting drawing from the Serpa down. I just use the belt slide on a wilderness 5 stitch belt at present.

Is it correct that either the SERPA or the ALS both have the option of removing the paddle and just using the belt loops? I'm thinking that would be my preferred set up.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Is it correct that either the SERPA or the ALS both have the option of removing the paddle and just using the belt loops? I'm thinking that would be my preferred set up.

The Serpa has the option to eliminate the paddle and just use the belt loop. Noting that....The Belt retainer adjustment clips on the Serpa suck. My personal opinion is that the Serpa is over priced for another plastic holster with a retention feature. I would consider them priced right if they were half the price. I carry 1911s ONLY. I didn't care for the Safariland either as I had "2" hang ups with it. I'm going back to leather only.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I carry a 1911 and I want to get a better retention holster for when I OC. I'm seeking feedback from folks who are familiar with Blackhawk Serpa and Safariland ALS, especially from anyone who carries a 1911.

I have a good leather holster with a thumbstrap. What I am interested for purposes of this thread is a retention holster that actually locks the gun in place.

I've narrowed the choices down to either the Blackhawk Serpa CQC or Safariland ALS, but I'm open to others, just don't know about them.

I recently ready an article that was critical of the Serpa retention system: SERPA Holsters Should Be Discontinued | The Truth About Guns. Any thoughts on this? Serpas have been around for a long time, so I am not necessarily willing to give up on them due to one critical article like this one.

Mainly I am interested in:
    1. Safety
    2. Ease of operation under stress
    3. Comfort
    4. Low wear to surface of weapon.

Feedback on any of these features is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :ingo:

I only carried with my Serpa during the winter months, but I really liked it. I thought it was very nice. I don't seem to have a lot of wear on my G19 and it was pretty comfortable for me at 2:30 - 3:00. I've read about the retention issues and I guess I don't understand it. Drawing from mine always puts my finger just above the trigger guard, right under the slide where it should be. I've tried drawing many different ways and it never changes. I use the same holster with my G34 during IDPA matches and have never had an issue. For ~$40 I think they are a good value and plan to keep using mine. As a matter of fact, I plan to pick up another one for my PPQ.

BTW, the model I have has a belt loop attachment and a paddle attachment. I didn't like the paddle attachment so I use the belt loop attachment.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had both but only have the ALS now. The belt loops are stronger. It holds the pistol farther away from your body making it harder to conceal & better for OC. I think the release mechanism has a lower risk of getting jammed with debris. It was hell on my plastic front sight though. That's probably not going to be an issue with a 1911.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I use SERPA with most of my Pistols. I use belt only, don't like the paddle. The problem with SERPA was the height of outside side that could go into the trigger guard and fire the pistol, which did happen. New ones have shorter outside side/top. I like them very much. I bought a Blade Tech for my Shield ,just before the Shield SERPA came out. Still might get one, but the BT works well ,but no retention.

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I prefer the ALS over the Serpa. I think it's better quality holster and better for retention. If your worried about wear on your gun, safariland holsters have a soft felt material on the inside of their holsters.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    IIRC, there's a YouTube video that was posted here on INGO where a guy had a ND with the Safariland ALS, shooting himself in the leg. His thumb inadvertently kicked off the 1911 thumb safety while depressing the ALS thumb release, and fired the gun as the 1911 cleared the holster. A simple search should locate that.

I have the CQC for several handguns, and have never had an issue with them. As the trigger finger depresses the release, a natural draw rests the index finger above the trigger guard, where it should be placed.

I've had zero issues with the quality or adjustability on the ones I've owned (more than 5 years), YMMV.

Personally, I think the whole CQC issue (index finger release causing ND's) is due to 'user stupidity'. And we all know, "ya can't fix stupid". Again, YMMV.

Since you're OC'ing anyway, Mark, might want to consider a regular 'duty-rig', like a Level 3 retention system. Just a thought. :yesway:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    IIRC, there's a YouTube video that was posted here on INGO where a guy had a ND with the Safariland ALS, shooting himself in the leg. His thumb inadvertently kicked off the 1911 thumb safety while depressing the ALS thumb release, and fired the gun as the 1911 cleared the holster. A simple search should locate that.

I have the CQC for several handguns, and have never had an issue with them. As the trigger finger depresses the release, a natural draw rests the index finger above the trigger guard, where it should be placed.

I've had zero issues with the quality or adjustability on the ones I've owned (more than 5 years), YMMV.

Personally, I think the whole CQC issue (index finger release causing ND's) is due to 'user stupidity'. And we all know, "ya can't fix stupid". Again, YMMV.

Since you're OC'ing anyway, Mark, might want to consider a regular 'duty-rig', like a Level 3 retention system. Just a thought. :yesway:

I looked at the duty rigs. There seems to be a lot of different types, high ride, mid ride, low ride, etc. A duty holster would probably work OK with a 1.75 inch belt. I wish I could try a few on to experience the difference between a regular belt holster and a duty rig, or even a tactical holster worn on the thigh. I'd like to experience first hand what the difference is in drawing from each holster type. For starters, I was thinking of the belt holster. I'm thinking it would provide the retention, plus a slick draw, without looking like I'm trying to be Wyatt Earp. :D

Is there such a store where you could actually try some of these holsters on and actually do some practice draws with an unloaded weapon or blue gun? That would be an ideal way to find the perfect holster.

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Be careful with the duty rigs. They tend to stick pretty far off the body, which can be uncomfortable at times.

Also, I found the mid to high ride to be the most comfortable. The low ride dug into whatever I was sitting on.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Be careful with the duty rigs. They tend to stick pretty far off the body, which can be uncomfortable at times.

Also, I found the mid to high ride to be the most comfortable. The low ride dug into whatever I was sitting on.

Thanks. I think for starters I'll try the belt holster.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Safariland 6378 is the way to go. It is made of kydex instead of just injected molded plastic making it not only tougher but quite adjustable with just a heat gun if the need arises. It also has a felt like material on the inside which keeps the gun looking alot nicer than the black hawk. And to top it all off it sits much closer to the body than any other paddle holster i've tried while using a superior retention mechanism. To compare it to a black hawk serpa is simply unfair.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    IIRC, there's a YouTube video that was posted here on INGO where a guy had a ND with the Safariland ALS, shooting himself in the leg. His thumb inadvertently kicked off the 1911 thumb safety while depressing the ALS thumb release, and fired the gun as the 1911 cleared the holster.

This video was at the very top of the article that the OP linked in the first post. Tex (the man who shot himself) had been training a quick draw with a glock in a holster similar to the safariland. He then switched to a 1911 in a SERPA holster. His muscle memory was still stuck on the thumb release mechanism, so he inadvertently thumbed off the safety on his 1911 when he drew. Having not immediately released the weapon from the holster, he mashed the release button on the SERPA, which caused his finger to slip into the trigger guard and pull the trigger.

The problem here was not the type of holster, but rather switching between two holsters that require different types of movement to release the weapon. Tex even says in the video, "This is not something I blame on the holster. I blame it purely on me."

That being said, I carry a Springfield XD in a SERPA holster (sorry, no experience with 1911's). I do find that the SERPA sticks out too far to comfortably conceal in anything other than a heavy winter coat, but I prefer to OC so that doesn't bother me. I don't know how the thumb release mechanism on a safariland holster would work in correlation with a 1911's thumb safety, but if you're comfortable with the way it works then go for it. Ask around on INGO to see if anyone would be willing to let you check out their holsters. There are plenty of friendly, helpful individuals here that would love for an excuse to head to the gun range. Choose whatever holster you like the best and then train regularly with it. I wouldn't recommend switching back and forth between holsters with different retention systems though; you might end up like Tex!

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The ALS holster for the 1911 has a guard to prevent swiping of the safety in relation to the release of the firearm from the holster. it would/is easy enough to remove though if thats how you want to rock it.

firefighter4884

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Evansville
    I too prefer the Safariland stuff to the SERPA holsters, though I do own both, and have used both.

if you're looking purely for an open carry holster, you might also look at the Safariland SLS hooded system that locks the gun in place. The motion to move the hood is a push down / rotate forward, vs a pull to the read for the ALS holsters. The motion is completely different from swiping the safety on a 1911.

Top Bottom