• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I starting shoot Blackhills ammo when I picked up my AR and I had to get it in KY for a longtime. I have been lucky enough to find a little in Indiana over the past month but when i buy it from the shop owner they tell me that's all that they've been able to get.....Really, I'm guessing that they could have done a whole lot worse. In my humble opinion, this is exceptional ammo.

Ok, so let me get to my point. Has anyone else heard of it or shot it before? I have personally just stuck with 223 or 556, because I don't want shoot match ammo thru my FN FAL. Can anyone tell me about the pistol ammo? Is it worth it?:dunno::dunno:

:popcorn::ar15::popcorn::ingo:

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Blackhills makes some very good ammo. Not the cheapest stuff out there, but excellent quality. It can be tough to come by. I've seen it in very few shops.

If I have to shoot commercially made rifle ammo, this is my first choice.

I have no experience with their pistol ammo though.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've been shooting Black Hills for years when I don't have time to reload my own.

It is considered one of the best out there, better than the Remington,Win, or Federal in my opinion.
    You can get either the reloaded cases or new cases, either is top notch stuff.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Custom ammo?

Great company. Will build ammo to special requirements as well.

What kind of minimum do you need to order custom loads?

I picked up a case of 75gr V-Max in .223 a case of 50gr V-Max in .223 and close to a case of 55gr and 75gr in .223. The shops that have had it have been scattered all over the state and it's been dumb luck every-time that I've found them.

Last edited:

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    No not really, but if you need a few boxes I'll help you out.

My goal was to learn more about Blackhills Ammo from local yours and maybe even get pointer on what to shoot thru my Noveske AR.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i dont need it, but i would like to have more. I have 100 rounds of the hollow but its only 52gr. I was hoping to get my hands on soemhting a bit heavier. I dont plan on shooting it through my AR, but probably my bolt gun when i practice long range precision. I have some AE.223 and some federal green tip i would be willing to trade also so you dont lower your ammo inventory.....

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I don't consider my Noveske to just be a typical AR. I've been lucky enough to get 1/2 MOA at 100-150yds without making many adjustments and with Federal ammo. The reason that I bought the BH's 75 & 77gr was to help with wind at 300-400yrds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of the Black Hills offerings use true Match bullets from Hornady or Sierra. Some of it, I think the blue box, uses recycled brass, and the red box is new brass. Either way, the bullet quality and load consistancy is what makes tight groups on the target. Black Hills is great ammo. I shot a lot of it with the 68 grain bullets. I was very happy.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Most of what I've picked up has been New/Red box, however I have plenty of the remanufactured/Blue box also. I'm honestly not a good enough shooter to be able to tell a difference between the two.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    What kind of minimum do you need to order custom loads?

I picked up a case of 75gr V-Max in .223 a case of 50gr V-Max in .223 and close to a case of 55gr and 75gr in .223. The shops that have had it have been scattered all over the state and it's been dumb luck every-time that I've found them.

You'd have to give them a call. They build a lot of ammo for lr competition and military snipers (Seals used to use it, I'm not sure about today).

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    It's great ammo. I can't find it anymore.
    Please let us know where you have found it around the state! I found some in Kentucky last fall.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Black Hills Ammo is amazing. Their people are very good too. They have always been very kind to the gun writing crowd. You should have seen the lavish care package they gave out to writers at the SHOT show this year. Every year my father goes out there he acquires so much Black Hills swag he has to ship it home via Fed Ex. Lol. They know how to treat a guy.

I can't say that I have seen too much of BH ammo on store shelves... but since we get regular ammo shipments from them containing several boxes of various caliber; we don't have to go looking! ;)

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Sorry, I was out of town for a few days on business.

I can't remember where I found it.....ha-ha. Ok ok, up north in Warsaw at Albertson's. It was crazy, i stopped in to grab some SS shotgun ammo for my snow geese hunt and they had cases just laying in the middle of the floor. I grabbed one, and it sparked a panic buyer in the store to grab 6. At this point, I'm pissed and so I grabbed another. When we left the store they only had 4 cases left. I have called back asking for more of the heavier grain and they are on back order until April. If you guys want to commitment to some, i'll grab a few more and we can divide the cases out using exactly what I pay for it.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've only tried their rifle ammo, top notch for sure. Never tried/seen any of their pistol ammo, however, I would guess that it is also top quality.

jjacobs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indy S./Bloomington
    Black hills ammo is exceptional quality. That's the reason noveske test fires their rifles with it. I have shot it several times out of my JP enterprises CTR-02 with good results. Personally I prefer to reload myself, but if I am buying already loaded ammunition in the 223/5.56 I go with Black Hills.

Top Bottom