• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    In the course of my work I am in many homes every day. Usually I carry a 3" to 4" blade.

While cutting down a water heater box at a customers house I used my partially serrated Spyderco Tenacious. The customer was pretty shocked so I decided to look into something smaller for EDC.

I fell in love with the Fallkniven FH9 and bought one. The blade length is around 2½" and it is a nice gentlemen's knife. I carried it about a week and loved it until I had a situation which I needed it to possibly defend myself.

While walking to a house a German Shepherd looking dog came from behind me and nearly bit me. I did not even try to get my knife as it would take two hands to open so I walked backwards to my van yelling loudly at the dog while he showed his teeth and barked. The neighbor came out and got the dog and I went about my business.

This really bothered me as I did not feel like I could use my pocket knife to defend myself in this situation based on three things. One it would take two hands to open. Two, the knife scales are too slick. Three the blade length seemed to small. Maybe the blade length is fine, all I know is at that time I wanted larger.

I have been bit twice since March. Once on the achilles tendon area and once in the butt, both owners told me their dogs did not bite when I arrived.
    This situation really woke me up about security. I love dogs and have one of my own but I thought that German Shepherd wanted to destroy me with a passion.

How much does blade length play into your decision on what knife to carry?

I've updated my EDC. :):):)
    IMG_1345.jpg

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    blade

I'd been carrying the same Smith & Wesson knife for the last 10 years with a 4" blade.

If you really like the new one with the small blade why not carry both?

:dunno:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    it only takes a 1/4" blade to cut the jugular so... the most important factor IMO is having the absolute sharpest blade you can, because if it won't cut you, paper, etc. it won't cut the bad guy.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    That 8 should do the job. I am not a fan of serrations I prefer razor sharp blades but that one would do the trick I am sure.`

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    First I would get a box cutter to do the breaking down of boxes, cardboard is very tough on the edge of a knife. I carry slipjoints for daily cutting and I carry a "tactical" that never sees the light of day...the only time it would get pulled from my pocket is an emergency. Quite often I have to touch up the edge on my daily user when I get home but I know that that emergency knife always has a razor edge on it...just in case.

My normal length is 3 to 4 inches depending on what knife I am carrying that day. Pics of some of my "tacticals" can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...my_for_a_lack_of_a_better_word_tacticals.html . Most could serve double duty but my karambit was made for just one thing....

k6.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i don't think a knife is the best defense for a dog. having said that..... in this case, the bigger the better. if you think that dog is scary when it isn't wounded and attacking you, wait till you try to cut it while its attacking you. like putting your face in a wood chipper. unless it just turns tail and runs. THEN you have to explain why you stabbed or cut a k9, which was fairly obviously not intent to do harm. something you will have to explain anyway, if you engage a dog.

i would get a big honking can of Bear Spray.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    :+1:That might be your best option. Will not kill but will definatly stop it.

I really don't want to carry a can of spray around with me but it's a thought. I think I'll just keep my eyes peeled.

Generally the dogs have been pretty decent. It changes when you go into their house and on their property. I understand it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Look into a folding box cutter/knife. I have a couple that I carry or at least keep handy as they are good for cutting anything and if the blade gets dull you can just flip it or replace with a new razor blade. Also, if you are in the service industry and frequent houses then I would get some kind of pepper spray.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I carry the biggest damn folder I can find and try to keep it razor sharp. My current EDC is an Emerson Karambit and CQC-8.

That said, my first response to a vicious dog would be to reach for my OC spray (or p238 depending on how vicious the dog is :D).

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I did one day. It was kinda weird carrying two blades, one in each pocket :D.

I carry three knives daily :D . A smaller slipjoint in my pocket for social settings, a larger lock blade in a belt pouch for heavy chores, and a pocket clip knife of the "tactical" sort for emergency use only. For example if I find a thread hanging while I am in the parish house I don't want to whip out a big tactical knife, I take out my Case Peanut and trim it off. Breaking down cardboard boxes? That is what the large lock blade it for. Out of bullets or at the scene of an accident with a jammed seatbelt? Then it is time for the "tactical".

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    I slept on it, and I think I will keep a can of spray in the vehicle. I'll just have to leave it at the shop when I get into Michigan along with the knife. :n00b:

Two years ago I went to guys house who seemed normal. About ten minutes into the job I turned around and he had this blank stare on his face and he was only wearing his underwear. I walked past him to my van and left everything. An hour later I came back with another guy and completed the job.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I slept on it, and I think I will keep a can of spray in the vehicle.

I think this is your best defense, it keeps you at a distance from them.

I would still carry a nice assisted quick opener that can be deployed with one hand in case the you get in a situation where they are on you and you are fighting off the dog.

If they are close enough to nip ya it's almost to late to deploy the spray if they are overly aggressive.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I love knives, especially "small ones" and I've carried one almost all my life. Usually fixed blades from 2 to 3 inches. I consider them a tool, not a defensive weapon. Of course, if it is all you have, think about situations before they might present themselves.

During the recent unpleasantness in SE Asia I got some extra training in managing close combat. A major mantra we were told day in and out was, "If he can touch you, you have lost control. If you are not in control you are stupid, and maybe, dead". Or, something to that effect.

We've all heard the line about the best thing to use in a knife fight; a gun. It's true. Think about it; if the bg, or dog, can touch you, you may die. In liu of a gun, get some spray or whatever. Just my two cents.

NRA Lifer since 1971

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Right hand pocket

Cold%20Steel%2062K.jpg

Left hand pocket

skeletool-cx-diagram.jpg

The tactical blade is only for defense, and never gets dulled, the multitool is for "everything else"

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    As a pretty good general rule I've found that there is very little that I can do with a small knife that I can't do with a larger knife. However, the opposite is hardly true, there are many things which cannot properly be done with a small knife. My usual carry knife is my Benchmade Presidio:
    BM%20520.jpeg

Top Bottom