• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We've probably all heard of the potential lawsuits against KIA and Hyundai because some of their models are easily stolen with a usb thumb drive (as I understand it). I just saw a piece on WTHR this evening that a Shell station at 34th and Emerson is now under scrutiny because there have been 4 homicides there in the last few months.

How are KIA and Hyundai responsible for the actions of car thieves? How is the owner of a gas station responsible for the scumbags that live in that area and are killing other people? It just seems that everyone wants to put responsibility for crime on anyone but the actual criminals themselves. :nuts:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We've probably all heard of the potential lawsuits against KIA and Hyundai because some of their models are easily stolen with a usb thumb drive (as I understand it). I just saw a piece on WTHR this evening that a Shell station at 34th and Emerson is now under scrutiny because there have been 4 homicides there in the last few months.

How are KIA and Hyundai responsible for the actions of car thieves? How is the owner of a gas station responsible for the scumbags that live in that area and are killing other people? It just seems that everyone wants to put responsibility for crime on anyone but the actual criminals themselves. :nuts:
    Obviously we need common sense Shell Station and USB thumb-drive control.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Kia and Hyundai were the cheaper option to Honda and Toyota. Buy less get less. Not much said of Hyundais that are brand new catching fire and "burning down the house" better park that 2023 Tucson outside. And the only 93k effected are the ones that shut off at at stop light and start again. (Cafe standards anyone)

The above only updated the software after the insurance companies raised the rates for all who purchased those models because they were easy to steal and smash up. When everyone traded them in for Hondas the updated the software.

The Shell station in the bad neighborhood is most likely not owned by a NATIVE American. So he set in that bullet resistant box selling CBD and smokes. He is making his. No need to hire security. 34 and Emerson ave is the issue not the shell station. If no one enters the store or buys gas then the store closes. Closing a business by the government is just plane wrong no matter what the data shows. Closing it by not making any money is capitalism.

Only why to solve the problems is to vote with your wallet. Something I always do. Want my cash, be someone I want to spend it with.

Walmart I bet I spent 30 dollars in the last two years. (Was convenient to purchase)
    Amazon done with it.
    Netflix done. Cable done.
    Facebook never had one.
    LinkedIn (you gave 844 million for jo(k)e Biden deleted.

I can go on. I think we have a thread with zombie companies I am over

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It just seems that everyone wants to put responsibility for crime on anyone but the actual criminals themselves. :nuts:
    That my friend, is today's bottom line.

"when justice is delayed, the peoples heart grows sick".

There is an entire generation coming to voting age that have never seen justice, and were taught to run from responsibility. How CAN they make a righteous decision?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You have to keep in mind that the criminals are the actual victims in our current society.
    Right? You evil gas station owner! Why did you open your business in a crime-ridden area? You should close! Then we can complain about a "gas desert" in the area. :rolleyes:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Perhaps, but I've been very happy with my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring. Not a lick of trouble, no recalls, only regular maintenance done. Not sure Honda or Toyota can say that since 2011.
    I can assure you Honda and Toyota cannot. Been a Korean car owner since 2002. Put around 500k miles ourselves and the cars combined well past the million mile mark. The only engine failure was bought with a snapped timing belt at 212k to be a project, the only failed transmission happened after the wife ran a 13”wheel over a 12” curb avoiding a moron turning into Starbucks with no brake lights nor turn signals.

We have 2 new Kia’s in the garage. There is nothing in the market that provides the smiles per mile of the forte or the utility and economy of the wife’s Seltos nor the overall quality and features.

As for the thugs claiming victim… well they wont let us deal with it and they wont deal with it so I don’t think it’s getting any better

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because in 'their' world, there is no PERSONAL responsibility.
    It is all the fault of the EVIL CORPORATIONS.
    Yes. Even small businesses.

because they are ignorant (uninformed).
    And not interested in actual digging in and investigating how things (or people) work.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How is the owner of a gas station responsible for the scumbags that live in that area and are killing other people?

What if the owner and/or employees are creating an environment that is conducive to illegal activities? Perhaps purposefully? Perhaps because they are buddies with some of the bad actors? Or enjoy a financial incentive to do so? What if the decent people in the neighborhood recognize this?

I'm not saying this is or isn't the case. I would remind you that not all information available in the world is available in a public format and that any conclusions are speculative at best without answers to those questions and others.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What if the owner and/or employees are creating an environment that is conducive to illegal activities? Perhaps purposefully? Perhaps because they are buddies with some of the bad actors? Or enjoy a financial incentive to do so? What if the decent people in the neighborhood recognize this?

I'm not saying this is or isn't the case. I would remind you that not all information available in the world is available in a public format and that any conclusions are speculative at best without answers to those questions and others.
    The WTHR article is kind of vague, but it sounds like they want them to increase security and stop staying open 24 hours. I don't see any mention of the owners being specifically part of the problem. The city wants to sue them as a nuisance property.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The WTHR article is kind of vague, but it sounds like they want them to increase security and stop staying open 24 hours. I don't see any mention of the owners being specifically part of the problem. The city wants to sue them as a nuisance property.

I mentioned this in another thread recently, but don't believe the media is telling the full story. Even if they have it. Public figures have fewer protections against slander/libel than private citizens do. The media may not have the full story. Involved people may hold cards close to their chest because they want to keep bridges of communication/relationships open hoping for cooperation on the other party's side, etc. Others who may have a fuller picture may not put the information in a public forum due to work rules, social expectations, etc. In a neighborhood where people are scared of retaliation, do you expect people to put their name to a complaint in the media? Gov't employees likely have rules against disclosure outside of professional requirements...

Nuisance property has certain requirements. An example that's unrelated is a hotel that had signs telling guests to not call the police, to only call the front desk. Why would such a sign exist?

I would also point out that the premise of who's accountable being binary is overly simplistic. The real world is messy enough that multiple people or entities can have some responsibility for any given act. You can hold the trigger puller accountable for his role in addition to those who facilitated the act.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    I think the store owner should sue the city and demand a squad car be parked there 24/7
    crap forgot the purple or maybe not

Top Bottom