• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Getting ready to place an order for 223 55gr ammo from hsm they have it in blitking by siera or vmax by hornady the price is 23.00 for blitzking & 22.00 for the vmax per box of 50 (once fired brass) + shipping which 16.00 for five boxes or more. would love to get some feed back on this before I place the order later today.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I would take anything Hornady over anything Sierra, but I don't care for the 55 VMax. The 50 is a better way to go, being a boat tail.

Some Sierra's 55s are, like BlitzKings, but they lack in pretty much every other category.

Last edited:

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    My savage shoots 55 vmaxs very well. My remington shoots 55 soft points much better than 55 vmaxs. Point being, I wouldn't order a bunch of either one without trying some first. One rifle might shoot BK better, the next gun might like vmaxs.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My 20" doesn't like 55 vmax at all. It makes the 52 bthp sing, though.

You might get a few of each to see which is better in your gun. At that price, you won't go wrong. Then, order more of what your gun shoots well.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My savage shoots 55 vmaxs very well. My remington shoots 55 soft points much better than 55 vmaxs. Point being, I wouldn't order a bunch of either one without trying some first. One rifle might shoot BK better, the next gun might like vmaxs.

My 20" doesn't like 55 vmax at all. It makes the 52 bthp sing, though.

You might get a few of each to see which is better in your gun. At that price, you won't go wrong. Then, order more of what your gun shoots well.

^^Both good advice^^
    I have a Savage 10 heavy barrel .223. It shot 55gr FMJ into 1 ragged hole useing AA2015. We were going Prairie Doggin, I got a good deal on some BLC2. I tried every weight of V-max I could with the BLC2 Ended up using the 60gr V-max. Guess what I'm trying to say is try them with the powder you intend to use ,because it will make a big difference.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    i have used both the 5o's in my shilen 1n8 20'' and the 50 gr blitzking was buy far the better but i agree with slows1911s buy a box of each because every barrel is different , find what works and stick with it gets real expensive finding good ammo

kenyo64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Love the 55 v-max in my savage mod 10, over IMR 3031, but it doesn't meter very well. Longest pairie dog shot is 550 yd with range finder :D I don't limit myself on one powder, the next I am going to try is VV-133, so now I have to get shooting the ones I have loaded.
    ken

Top Bottom