• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I've never seen beans in Brunswick Stew but that's not to say you can't add them. It's really a hodge podge of whatever you like however and I have made it a few different ways. The way I like best is very simple. I lived in Savannah, GA for a while and still go down there quite a bit for work so I have had a variety. I think outside of your Q, the key ingredient to getting it how you like it is the BBQ sauce. I rarely use sauce on any of my Q but I am also pretty picky. The sauce I like most is from Wiley's in Savannah and IMO has made some of my best stew which closely resembles the one's I like down there. Remember you can add or subtract to your liking, there is no right or wrong way, although not ever having it before you may not know exactly what taste you're after, but here's mine:
    1-2 pounds of chopped brisket
    1-2 pounds of chopped pork
    1-2 pounds of smoked turkey breast (if I have any)
    2 cans of diced tomato (just plain, not the seasoned or the one's with peppers)
    2 cans of white or mixed yellow & white corn
    1 cup of chopped onion
    2-3 cloves of garlic chopped (depends on the size and your liking of garlic)
    1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
    Chicken stock
    Start by sautéing the onions and garlic in the pot you are going to use then add the tomato, corn and meat, and BBQ sauce. I strain the corn but add the whole can of diced tomato. Once that is all in there give it a stir and mix it up a bit then add the chicken stock ( I prefer the low sodium but use whatever you want) and you will only add enough to come to the level of ingredients in the pot. Those 32oz resealable cartons work pretty good since you really have no exact measurement you are shooting for. You can also pour in a bottle of your favorite beer before the chicken stock and then add the stock. Then just let it simmer in the pot for a couple hours. It's supposed to be thick, not like soup. You shouldn't need any seasonings because the meat is already hit with whatever rub you used. You can use one meat or five however you want but my preference is to at least have brisket in there. You can eat it on it's own like a meal or as an appetizer type of serving. I like it with corn bread. I just made some last week, if I had any left I'd try to meet you so you can try it and see what you think. My kids eat the hell out of it and well, so do the wife and I. It's just something I always make because I will cook a 11-13 pound packer for just the four of us to have the extras for them for when I am out of town and to make stew. Hope you get a chance to make it and like it. Let me know

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never seen beans in Brunswick Stew but that's not to say you can't add them. It's really a hodge podge of whatever you like however and I have made it a few different ways. The way I like best is very simple. I lived in Savannah, GA for a while and still go down there quite a bit for work so I have had a variety. I think outside of your Q, the key ingredient to getting it how you like it is the BBQ sauce. I rarely use sauce on any of my Q but I am also pretty picky. The sauce I like most is from Wiley's in Savannah and IMO has made some of my best stew which closely resembles the one's I like down there. Remember you can add or subtract to your liking, there is no right or wrong way, although not ever having it before you may not know exactly what taste you're after, but here's mine:
    1-2 pounds of chopped brisket
    1-2 pounds of chopped pork
    1-2 pounds of smoked turkey breast (if I have any)
    2 cans of diced tomato (just plain, not the seasoned or the one's with peppers)
    2 cans of white or mixed yellow & white corn
    1 cup of chopped onion
    2-3 cloves of garlic chopped (depends on the size and your liking of garlic)
    1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
    Chicken stock
    Start by sautéing the onions and garlic in the pot you are going to use then add the tomato, corn and meat, and BBQ sauce. I strain the corn but add the whole can of diced tomato. Once that is all in there give it a stir and mix it up a bit then add the chicken stock ( I prefer the low sodium but use whatever you want) and you will only add enough to come to the level of ingredients in the pot. Those 32oz resealable cartons work pretty good since you really have no exact measurement you are shooting for. You can also pour in a bottle of your favorite beer before the chicken stock and then add the stock. Then just let it simmer in the pot for a couple hours. It's supposed to be thick, not like soup. You shouldn't need any seasonings because the meat is already hit with whatever rub you used. You can use one meat or five however you want but my preference is to at least have brisket in there. You can eat it on it's own like a meal or as an appetizer type of serving. I like it with corn bread. I just made some last week, if I had any left I'd try to meet you so you can try it and see what you think. My kids eat the hell out of it and well, so do the wife and I. It's just something I always make because I will cook a 11-13 pound packer for just the four of us to have the extras for them for when I am out of town and to make stew. Hope you get a chance to make it and like it. Let me know

Sounds pretty tasty, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for sharing the recipe :D

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sure thing, and anyone else that wants to try it hope you enjoy it.

On the cold weather thing, all I have found is that it will use more fuel in cold or very cold temps.doing a long smoke like for a butt. But I can still get that 700° if needed unless it's really cold like near 0

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just finished making some hamburger patties and they're resting in the fridge seasoned up. I'll be firing up the Weber here in about an hour. Came up with a new recipe for black eyed peas which included some pulled pork I had left over from the weekend to go with the burgers. Mmmmm.....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nothin like grilled burgers on New Year's Eve

IMG_1875.jpg

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Nothin like grilled burgers on New Year's Eve

IMG_1875.jpg

:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway: Looks terrific and the recipe sounds great!! Are those the cast iron grates?

Have you tried doing ranch burgers yet, tried those a couple months back and were pretty tasty.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They are cast iron, love them so far.

I've never done anything to season the ground beef other than sprinkle a bit on them after I make the patties. I've heard of the ranch but haven't tried them yet.

Top Bottom