• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    That was pretty sad. Picked up a lower receiver and dipped. Had my eye on another piece but the ATM in the building was out of order.

It seems like sitting this one out was the right decision. I was at last year's Bloomington show, and it sounds like it still has room for improvement. I have no idea of the date, but I recommend the Bedford show when it rolls around. I always pick something up there.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I saw no good reloading deals for me. Powders north of $23-25. Primers @ $32 or slightly higher. Bags of 100 9mm or 45acp for $20.

I was even told that you can't shoot lead bullets at any Indiana indoor range and could be fined $3000 if caught. They had to be coated with copper with no exposed lead. I did not bother to ask about powder coated. Who is crazy, me or him?

Oh well, I got the return at Wally world accomplished afterwards.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did have a conversation with a guy about my Q5. When I told him that they were selling online for $690-730, he replied saying; "yeah I thought they were about $600. :dunno:

As I walked away I heard the guy at the table with him say if he was interested he should offer me $600.

I think it's interesting the world we live in these days. Here are a couple guys that are investing time and effort to set up at a show and they not only don't try to sell what's at their table, but they are reluctant to offer others for items they have for sale.

The same thing here. You get lots of lookers but little to no offers.

I guess we have all grown to dislike negotiating.:)

Being in sales, I don't have that option. I have to negotiate.

I think the shows are more of an opportunity for like-minded friends to get together for a couple hours.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Yeah, it was a pretty sad show. M855 green tip selling for .50 a round. Tula 223 20rd box for a bargain price of $10. POF 6.8 AR for $2250. I got quite a bit of chuckles. One guy mentioned he wasn't running a "Flea Market". Looking at his prices and quality of what he was selling sure seemed like it:):

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm in need of a stripped lower in the $70-or-less range. Not wanting an Omni or other polymer. Would it be a good idea to go tomorrow (Sunday) or just wait until RK gets another shipment of Andersons?

I assume they're not allowing people to carry as well.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I'm in need of a stripped lower in the $70-or-less range. Not wanting an Omni or other polymer. Would it be a good idea to go tomorrow (Sunday) or just wait until RK gets another shipment of Andersons?

I assume they're not allowing people to carry as well.
    One of the dealers had stripped lowers yesterday for $55, but I don't think he has any of those left. I don't see any more in the display case.
    Loaded firearms or magazines are not allowed in the building and all firearms must be safety tied, same as every other gun show I've ever been to.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    There were some deals when I was there yesterday. A friend picked up a CZ-52 pistol for $175. I got a 3-pack of Orion 12ga flares for $5.00 - happily paid the old fellow his asking price. I also picked up a set of RCBS .22 Jet dies for $20 (bargained down from $25), and an assorted lot of projectiles for 10 cents each - a full box of .308" 110gr PSP, a partial box of Speer 8mm 125gr, and a few other odds-n-ends. Got a 10-round box of some very rare ammo for a Cape Gun of mine - 6.5x58R Sauer - jackpot! Sold my jug of powder that's been listed in the classifieds here for several weeks. A successful show for me and worth the drive down from Indy.

And there were at least twice as many vendors this year as last year, good variety of stuff too. One gentleman had several nice old Marlin lever actions and a cherry Parker 10ga double. Another guy had several black rifles including a Kel-tec RDB - don't see those at too many shows. Saw a bag of 25-36 Marlin ammo, very rare, but I don't have a use for that particular round. There was a nice parts kit for a Yugo RPK, bore was mint which is unusual for those and the price was right. Good stuff and variety, but no show is going to have everything for everyone. Powder was typical retail, but if you're already there and need it...why not? And a few prices were high, but that's that nature of things. I can say that about any show or any gunshop. No one source is going to have the lowest price on every item. And it doesn't matter whether you are at a show or shop, you have to LOOK closely, TALK to people in a civilized manner, and ASK intelligent questions if you want to be successful at buying OR selling. If you're only spending 20 minutes at a show or in a gunshop, you aren't doing it right. :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well Aaron, I don't know about "doing it right" so I'll accept in your eyes' I am doing it wrong but I go to gun shows with a particular mission. I am a minimalist so I'm not interested in purchasing anything that is interesting or a good deal if it is not something I explicitly want or need.

No knock against the shows; they are what they are. But I go to shows looking for something. On a show of that size, with as few people there were attending at the time I went, it did not take me long to see they did not have what was on my "list" that day.

I can see by what you bought you have a broad range of interests when it comes to firearms. That's great. I can see how shows would be a great little gold mine for you. It's just nice to see that the stuff get's a new life with people instead of just sitting in some guys basement collecting dust. You will most likely do something with your purchases. That helps the seller and the buyer.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Well Aaron, I don't know about "doing it right" so I'll accept in your eyes' I am doing it wrong but I go to gun shows with a particular mission. I am a minimalist so I'm not interested in purchasing anything that is interesting or a good deal if it is not something I explicitly want or need.

No knock against the shows; they are what they are. But I go to shows looking for something. On a show of that size, with as few people there were attending at the time I went, it did not take me long to see they did not have what was on my "list" that day.

I can see by what you bought you have a broad range of interests when it comes to firearms. That's great. I can see how shows would be a great little gold mine for you. It's just nice to see that the stuff get's a new life with people instead of just sitting in some guys basement collecting dust. You will most likely do something with your purchases. That helps the seller and the buyer.

Very fair points Greg, no offense intended on my part. It certainly is easier to see and shop when there isn't much crowd and I don't know what you were looking for...I just couldn't help but think of the times when I've either witnessed or personally experienced something like this while I was shopping: "I see you've got the magazine for ABC model and ACD model...I don't suppose you ever run across the magazine for the LPO model?" Vendor replies he either has it in a box under the table, but didn't have room to put it out and usually doesn't because it's an oddball (shocked customer happily buys rare mag that wasn't displayed)...or he has it at home (vendor and buyer exchange contact info)...or he has a box of oddball mags under the table that he doesn't put out because he doesn't know what they are (customer digs through box and maybe finds that long sought item).

And you are correct about me having broad interests, lol! Oh, and I also help out friends and good folks who are looking for things...good will/karma/etc. comes back to you and the bigger your network the more rewarding this hobby becomes. Post up or send me a PM about what you are looking for and I will see if I can help :) :ingo: :patriot:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Very fair points Greg, no offense intended on my part. It certainly is easier to see and shop when there isn't much crowd and I don't know what you were looking for...I just couldn't help but think of the times when I've either witnessed or personally experienced something like this while I was shopping: "I see you've got the magazine for ABC model and ACD model...I don't suppose you ever run across the magazine for the LPO model?" Vendor replies he either has it in a box under the table, but didn't have room to put it out and usually doesn't because it's an oddball (shocked customer happily buys rare mag that wasn't displayed)...or he has it at home (vendor and buyer exchange contact info)...or he has a box of oddball mags under the table that he doesn't put out because he doesn't know what they are (customer digs through box and maybe finds that long sought item).

And you are correct about me having broad interests, lol! Oh, and I also help out friends and good folks who are looking for things...good will/karma/etc. comes back to you and the bigger your network the more rewarding this hobby becomes. Post up or send me a PM about what you are looking for and I will see if I can help :) :ingo: :patriot:

No offense received! I was looking for a case or two of shotgun shells for this upcoming clays season and a Citori CX shotgun. So you can see how I was able to move through rather quickly. :)

In the past when I was looking for more stuff, I did just as you said; ask. I once scored a mag for my Weatherby XXII rifle. Those are not easy to find. And if I had known there were slight differences I would have bought a barrel for my Ithaca Model 37, but the guy said I really needed to have my receiver with me to be sure his would fit.

Early on I used to hit the shows but as I got to the point where I had most everything I needed, it became a stroll just to look around, pick up some cleaning patches, a gun rug, whatever. Now, I don't even need those items.

I would buy powder and primers to avoid hazmat fees but again I have all I need at this point.

Top Bottom