• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    Just noticed them yesterday at the intersection at 37 and 2nd st. going towards downtown, and today several intersections heading towards downtown on 3rd st. Are these new and will more intersections have them or am I just now noticing them?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Lots of urban intersections have cameras.

MOST of them are timing/control aid devices and are NOT "red light cameras".

-J-

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    We have several in Columbus, too. I always try to make sure that I'm picking my nose when I go under one of them, just in case our beloved Mayor might be watching.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They couldn't hardly use them as red light cameras. All the local and state politicians wouldn't be able to use their "get out of jail free" cards and plates with a digital record.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I don't believe the "traffic control only" for an instant. They have lights that will flash so they can see your beautifull face and plates. Just came from Norfolk/Hampton roads area, that's like Cold war era Berlin with all the traffic cameras. So really can't complain, so long as they keep 37 camera free I'm good.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't believe the "traffic control only" for an instant. They have lights that will flash so they can see your beautifull face and plates. Just came from Norfolk/Hampton roads area, that's like Cold war era Berlin with all the traffic cameras. So really can't complain, so long as they keep 37 camera free I'm good.

Where you WERE probably did have red light / enforcement cameras.

Those in Bloomington (and in most other urban areas in Indiana) are traffic flow / pattern devices.

You're certainly welcome to believe that they're enforcement cameras - but you'd be incorrect.

-J-

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana

Well, thankfully we don't live in Berlin and you have the freedom to believe in what ever you want to. You can believe as hard as your conspiracy loving heart wants to and that still wont change the fact that they are there for flow control only. I know. I use to work in the very same Public works dept many (MANY) years ago when they first started putting them up. And in the ten years since then, while working in and around law enforcement all over Monroe County, I've never seen a single computer lying around that was collecting license plates and issuing tickets. Or even a person using them to spy on your everyday driving habits.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Are you saying you've witnessed the above reference cameras "flashing" to record pictures? I'd like to see that... they are traffic control.

Let me explain further. Some stoplights have a sensor loop in the pavement. You can often see evidence of that where they cut the pavement with a saw, laid the wire in, then filled the cracks with a sealant. Some other traffic lights forego the sensor loop and use cameras instead. This has been common for 2 decades now, before redlight citation cameras were even popular.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I concede, though thinking they're red light cams would make me a safer driver, thanks for making the road a more dangerous place:):

Top Bottom