• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    According to this mornings Bloomington Herald Times, the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Board has entered into contract, for a sum of $31,000 with White Buffalo out of the state of Connectict to cull 100 deer from the Griffy Lake area. Early addition listed that White Buffalo would use Remington 700 in .223 caliber. White Buffalo said they would be aiming for head shots. The company, White Buffalo, says that they will use sharpshooters. The mayor had initially vetoed the plan but was overruled when another vote was taken.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fools and their money

Not so foolish considering the liability insurance that is likely carried...

Individual hunters don't carry that type of insurance (generally speaking) and as we all know - folks aren't nearly as good a shot as they think they are.

I do have a question: How did/do they get special dispensation to use .223...when the minimum caliber for depredation permits from the DNR is .243?

-J-

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    My understanding is that those hunters that are issued a depredation permit from IDNR can use the caliber of their choice. I stand corrected if I am wrong on this.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Not so foolish considering the liability insurance that is likely carried...

Individual hunters don't carry that type of insurance (generally speaking) and as we all know - folks aren't nearly as good a shot as they think they are.

I do have a question: How did/do they get special dispensation to use .223...when the minimum caliber for depredation permits from the DNR is .243?

-J-

Brother you need to look into the number of accidental second party archery injuries - they're almost zero nation wide. Bloomington could have easily used the in-place procedure to request an urban deer zone for archery-only and made (let's do some math $24 * 100) $2,400 dollars earned instead of wasting $31,000 belonging to the citizens of Monroe County. No gun shots. Low impact. No contract. No liability. Deer culled, profit made, win-win-win. Makes WAY too much sense for Monroe County Politics.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    So much wrong. Other than the economics of it, head shots?! There's a reason IDNR Hunter Education recommends NOT taking head shots. Ever see a deer starve to death after his jaw is removed by an errant head shot? You'd never take one if you did.

Out of state? Not only do the wrong thing - against the DNR plan for urban deer zones - but send that money out of state? The citizens of Monroe County get what they vote for. A reckless, economic and unsafe disaster. Congratulations Bloomington.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So much wrong. Other than the economics of it, head shots?! There's a reason IDNR Hunter Education recommends NOT taking head shots. Ever see a deer starve to death after his jaw is removed by an errant head shot? You'd never take one if you did.

Out of state? Not only do the wrong thing - against the DNR plan for urban deer zones - but send that money out of state? The citizens of Monroe County get what they vote for. A reckless, economic and unsafe disaster. Congratulations Bloomington.

".....with that small town charm!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe these White Buffalo people from New York are anti-gun (except for theirs), and thus appeal more to the dweebs running the Bloomington Park & Rec dept.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Maybe these White Buffalo people from New York are anti-gun (except for theirs), and thus appeal more to the dweebs running the Bloomington Park & Rec dept.

I think part of the 31k goes towards exorcising the weapons of the evil spirits that make them hurt people.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If you live anywhere near Griffy, what would you rather have in your neighborhood:

1) Out of state (Connecticut) paid shooters firing .223 rounds attempting head shots on deer.
    2) Indiana Archers, close range, down angle, boiler-room shots.

Since the board went over the Mayor's head and opted for #1, I'd be finding out who to contact for property damage claims. I'd want to know where the deer are going after they're killed and who's responsible to make sure wanton waste laws are obeyed. I'd want to know who's responsible to follow up on wounded and starving jawless deer.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Remember when New England police and politicians were saying that .223/5.56 were no good for hunting deer? I can't find the specific one, but I remember emailing one of them specifically because he said you couldn't hunt with an AR-15.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Many states that have multiple big game species do not allow the .223 round (I know Wyoming is one - there are many others).

On their website: White Buffalo Inc. They make it sound as if they ran the hunts here in Indiana at NSWC Crane and others. They did no such thing. NSWC Crane Natural Resources runs their own hunts; Purdue students collect the data. I've been here since 1985 and I've never seen anyone from White Buffalo at the hunts.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Remember when New England police and politicians were saying that .223/5.56 were no good for hunting deer? I can't find the specific one, but I remember emailing one of them specifically because he said you couldn't hunt with an AR-15.

Must be at least .243 in Connecticut and at least .357 (for now) here in Indiana. According to this guy about half the states do not allow .223 for big game: Minimum legal calibers for big game hunting | The Firearms Forum

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I didn't mean in a legal sense, but in the effective sense that they feel the cartridge is only good for people. Obviously many states limit your selection for various reasons.

I've heard the .223/5.56 round was adopted - vietnam era - to wound/stop rather than kill. In my opinion the .223 round is plenty lethal for white tailed deer, but no round is good for a head shot especially one so light and prone to ricochet.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    By the way, I looked up their website and on their research page they claim (or it reads that way) to have run the hunts at three different closed hunt sites in Indiana including NSWC Crane. If so, that's total BS. The NSWC Crane Natural Resources runs their hunts and I've volunteered to help many many times. Purdue students are usually here to collect data - haven't ever seen or heard of anyone from White Buffalo working the hunts.

Top Bottom