• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    What is Tom Selleck doing staring in the new anti gun, forget the 4th amendment show this new show called " Blue Bloods"

How do you go from being an NRA arguing with Rosie O'Donnell about gun rights to this garbage?

Was he that desperate for money or fame?

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I haven't seen an episode yet; mainly because it just didn't look all that interesting to me. Can you enlighten us? What's going on in the show to earn your wrath?

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I haven't seen an episode yet; mainly because it just didn't look all that interesting to me. Can you enlighten us? What's going on in the show to earn your wrath?
    It seemed that everyone carrying was automatically thought of as a criminal. In one scene the uniformed officers saw a guy wearing a jacket and "bulge" so they chased him down and arrested him. They said he threw his gun away.

They collected "evidence" if not illegally then very questionably.

Several conversations were about cc and NY zero tolerance. I wouldn't want to live in NY but there are permits available.

All in all it seemed like a very non gun friendly show.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    It seemed that everyone carrying was automatically thought of as a criminal. In one scene the uniformed officers saw a guy wearing a jacket and "bulge" so they chased him down and arrested him. They said he threw his gun away.

They collected "evidence" if not illegally then very questionably.

Several conversations were about cc and NY zero tolerance. I wouldn't want to live in NY but there are permits available.

All in all it seemed like a very non gun friendly show.

I haven't seen that episode, maybe he really needs the money:dunno:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What is Tom Selleck doing staring in the new anti gun, forget the 4th amendment show this new show called " Blue Bloods"

How do you go from being an NRA arguing with Rosie O'Donnell about gun rights to this garbage?

Was he that desperate for money or fame?

I see this differently. They discuss issues of 2nd Amendment freedom on a few episodes and discuss the difference between what is right and what is the law. Much is debated at the dinner table amongst the family and you get a two-sided look at the issues.

Do you notice that Selleck's character is 'the voice of reason' whereas characters around him are, in varying degrees, are on one side or the other on virtually every issue? He's kind of the moderator.

Overall I like the show, though I disagree with the actions of some of the characters.

Watch it yourself / Decide for yourself - Fridays at 10 pm on CBS.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I see this differently. They discuss issues of 2nd Amendment freedom on a few episodes and discuss the difference between what is right and what is the law. Much is debated at the dinner table amongst the family and you get a two-sided look at the issues.

Do you notice that Selleck's character is 'the voice of reason' whereas characters around him are, in varying degrees, are on one side or the other on virtually every issue? He's kind of the moderator.

Overall I like the show, though I disagree with the actions of some of the characters.

Watch it yourself / Decide for yourself - Fridays at 10 pm on CBS.
    I get sick of the see it all sides thing.There are somethings that are one dimensional have no opposite side.

He might be playing the voice of reason but the characters in the show out weigh his table talks.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I get sick of the see it all sides thing.There are somethings that are one dimensional have no opposite side.

He might be playing the voice of reason but the characters in the show out weigh his table talks.

No, sir, nothing is one dimensional. Perhaps you're a tad lacing in dimension, have you considered this possibility yet?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Wife watches so I'm usually held captive but uninterested. Set in NYC which is anti gun and just about no one has a permit to carry.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wife watches so I'm usually held captive but uninterested. Set in NYC which is anti gun and just about no one has a permit to carry.

Sarge is exactly right. In NYC if they see someone carrying it is illegal more than likely. The show isn't set in Indiana.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I am sorry but I strongly disagree there are some things that have no opposite. We have too much false statement that are based on Yin and yang trying to say that there are opposites to everything that is neither scientifically true, physically true nor spiritually true.

For instance cold is not the opposite of hot, cold is the absence of heat.

Dark is not the opposite of light, dark is the absence of light.

Death is not the opposite of life, death is the absence of life.

These are both physical and scientific facts. We try and change facts by making them philosophical discussions, we do this because we do not like the facts and want to bend them to our personal views. I understand that almost everybody does this from time to time but this does not make it right nor excuse it.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I am sorry but I strongly disagree there are some things that have no opposite. We have too much false statement that are based on Yin and yang trying to say that there are opposites to everything that is neither scientifically true, physically true nor spiritually true.

For instance cold is not the opposite of hot, cold is the absence of heat.

Dark is not the opposite of light, dark is the absence of light.

Death is not the opposite of life, death is the absence of life.

These are both physical and scientific facts. We try and change facts by making them philosophical discussions, we do this because we do not like the facts and want to bend them to our personal views. I understand that almost everybody does this from time to time but this does not make it right nor excuse it.

Interesting philosophical proposition.

Absence of heat does not exist until you achieve a temperature of Absolute Zero. The descriptor cold can be used to define temeratures above Absolute Zero. There cold is not the absence of heat. Cold and hot are relative descriptors subjectively defined based upon context.

Dark and light fall into the same categories as hot and cold. Subjectively it can be dark even without the absence of light. These terms are used to describe a subjective, non-scientific measure of state given a particular context.

Death is not the absence of life. It is a state of life. Is a rock dead? Or water? Air? They has no life, but that does not make them dead.

Everything has an opposite state, unless the possibilities are truely infinite.

I am so friggin bored today.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Great TV show:rockwoot: Shows what a little of what law enforcement might be like in NYC. The family situation is interesting. They actually pray on camera...wow what a shocker! I can't get upset about the cop who "stretches" the law, because the bad guy gets caught. It is hard for a person who sees things as totally black and white, but hey it's a TV show, not real life.

I think that cop families, like pro sports families, etc. are somewhat like this. I don't see it as anti-gun at all. A re-run last night showed how the cop and prosecutor had compassion for the guy who bought a gun for self-defense and carried and used it. In the end, he was going to get straight probation. As stated, the gun laws are very strict in NYC and getting a carry permit is nearly unheard of. The show only deals with the realities of the laws in NYC.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008

Absence of heat does not exist until you achieve a temperature of Absolute Zero. The descriptor cold can be used to define temeratures above Absolute Zero. There cold is not the absence of heat. Cold and hot are relative descriptors subjectively defined based upon context.

Dark and light fall into the same categories as hot and cold. Subjectively it can be dark even without the absence of light. These terms are used to describe a subjective, non-scientific measure of state given a particular context.

Death is not the absence of life. It is a state of life. Is a rock dead? Or water? Air? They has no life, but that does not make them dead.

Whether something is/isn't the opposite of another is a different discussion from whether those traits can be stated as relative or absolute. It is true that you can state both cold and hot as relative terms, it is also true that relative cold is the measure of the relative absence of heat.

So I think Bonehead88's original statement stands. Your does as well, but it doesn't negate his.

:popcorn: Yeah, I'm bored, too. :)

On a related topic, some of my favorite illogical phrases are:
    twice as slow
    twice as cold (or, for that matter, twice as hot)
    less than 60% off (this is not illogical, but usually misused)

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

Like I said that would be factually incorrect. Absence does not equal opposite. That is what philosophy has done to physics.

I did not make a philosophical statement I made a statement made on physics. meta truths are not true statements know matter how many times someone says them or portrays them as fact.

Cold is the absence of heat. yes it is totally absent at absolute zero, but you can start removing heat right away. you can never add or take away cold.

The same goes for light and darkness. You cannot take darkness away or add darkness it is dark, you must add or take away light.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground

Your view point with regards to physics is right-on and undoubtedly under-appreciated,
    but situations involving opinions and desires do have many possible angles and do have opposites... and seeing the "many sides" as possible provides benefits to understanding the bigger picture, and sometimes insights into motivations.

Having not seen the show yet I can only guess perhaps the producers are wanting him in situations with antagonists.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Why would you move it. This is a political discussion. Tom Selleck has been a very political figure in Gun Rights with the NRA.

I recognized that it is a political discussion, so I moved it from "General Firearms Discussion" where you started this thread to "General Political Discussion" where it belongs.

Top Bottom