• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wear cargos all week at work. I like them but they seem to get stained easier than jeans when I'm tromping around in the woods. I appreciate all of the advice but it's looking like I can't save my trusty old jeans :(

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I wear cargos all week at work. I like them but they seem to get stained easier than jeans when I'm tromping around in the woods. I appreciate all of the advice but it's looking like I can't save my trusty old jeans :(

You might try the Propper BDU pants in ripstop fabric. I have managed a landscape company and have had my crews wear these for years and they held up very well. They also seemed to wash better than higher cotton jeans etc. They are a little cold in the winter.

Last edited:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Try relaxed fit jeans from Dickies. I order all my pants from Dickies online. Some stores carry some of their pants but not in all the sizes. These are the best jeans that I have had in a long while. I am a slim/tall guy and these have good room for hiking/climbing/working/riding etc. They have a regular fit that I believe would be too tight for me but I have not tried it. Very happy with these jeans for $24.99. Oh yeah, seven belt loops that don't come loose.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

If you can figure out where they sell raw denim, you might be able to find out who does repairs in the area. I know of a place in NYC that does repairs, Denim Repair - Denim Doctor - Repair Jeans - Denim Therapy NYC. Their prices don't seem too bad. I know of a place in Detroit that does repairs, Repair Shop - Detroit Denim Co.. I like that they take payment for a standard chain stitch hem in a 6 pack of decent beer.

But since everyone is offering up something other than you asked for, the Levi's Shrink to Fit 501's are a much better product than the regular Levi's.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    When I was a pup they called them dungarees. 'Jeans' are a lifestyle choice. When I was a tyke, Levis were it, followed by Wrangler. Lee always made yer a** look fat no matter how skinny you were. A pair of levi dungarees would just start to look and feel right after about 3 yrs. You would curl up about a half inch of cuff because the stripe looked cool and no other jean had that. They were twice as thick as blue jeans and breaking in a pair took years. I still buy Levis and the #'s keep changing. Sometimes one pair fits and another is annoyingly tight. What I do is wet the waist, squeeze it out, then wear it wet like that all day and it gives a bit. If I remember from when I was an amoeba, that's what Hollywood actors did to make them fit right. It's uncomfortable for a few hours, but may work for you. Well, maybe not since you ripped the crotch outta them. My other thought is to wear some really cool colored underwear and start a new look. Call it 'open carry.'
    This shorts.png or perhaps this don't judge me.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was told by a real cowboy that lee jeans were the most durable, but then that was 40 years ago.

Lee still makes some of their stuff the same way they did 40 years (or more) ago. Wrangler and Levi's do as well. The Lee's made like they did in 1952 are usually around $150 (some designations easily double that). Those models of Lee are quality denim (I wouldn't buy them because I find it stupid to pay that much for casual clothing).

The Wrangler 13MWZ (Pro Rodeo), I wouldn't buy @ $25 because of the fit. Might work out well for people that haven't enjoyed years of heavy squats.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I'm currently sitting on half a dozen pairs of blue jeans with either the crotch or the rear end ripped out of them. I'm picky about (everything) jeans and how they fit and unfortunately, showing my age here, they don't make em like they used to.

I know exactly how you feel. I have a corner in the laundry room that has a stack of otherwise perfectly good jeans except for the same condition that you state. It happens so quickly that I cannot bring myself to throw them away. I wear jeans to work and I am convinced that the problem is moisture weakening the fibers until they give along the seam. I even tried a larger size (funny, people at work asked me if I had lost weight) to give a ridiculous amount of slack with the same result. I now consider it as a cost of doing business but still hard to throw away.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I know exactly how you feel. I have a corner in the laundry room that has a stack of otherwise perfectly good jeans except for the same condition that you state. It happens so quickly that I cannot bring myself to throw them away. I wear jeans to work and I am convinced that the problem is moisture weakening the fibers until they give along the seam. I even tried a larger size (funny, people at work asked me if I had lost weight) to give a ridiculous amount of slack with the same result. I now consider it as a cost of doing business but still hard to throw away.

If you're buying expensive jeans (or semi expensive) or have some sort of attachment to them, they are more comfortable the older they get/more wear they get, you've just got to find someone that can do quality darning. If you're buying fairly inexpensive jeans, use the torn up jeans for a project or donate them to a group like this SMART: Donate, Recycle, Don?t Throw Away - Recycle Clothing, Shoes, & More. People will find a use for them and we can at least pretend to feel good about getting rid of our more comfortable jeans. Btw, Goodwill will take stuff in bad shape because they'll sort what they can sell through their various channels and then donate what can't be sold to SMART for recycling.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I WAS a big Levi's fan. Wear them till the knees or crotch wore through. Seems like it took less and less time for this to happen.

I tried a set of Wranglers 'cargo pants' and that was the best thing I did. I never looked back! The Wranglers just last and last. They don't rip or ware through like the Levi's. In fact, the pants are made so if you do get a hole, it holds together instead of ripping further.

They are more comforable, warmer, etc... they just work!

I recomend you try a pair... BTW, they're cheaper too! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom