• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm working on polishing up a couple of S&W 686's using some Blue Magic Metal Polish I picked up at the Autozone. It's coming along ok, but I'm wondering if Mothers is any better, works faster, etc.?

Came up with somer interesting search results on the web; seems folks have different preferences depending on whether or not they are polishing mag wheels or straight razors.

How about stainless handguns anyone?

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    Blue Magic is a really fine polish. I would start with rouge sticks. You can get these at harbor freight or other hardware stores. Start with a brown, then go red, then white. Use a buffing wheel on a grinder or dremel if you want it to be a mirror finish. It's doable, but it's going to take a lot of work/time.

Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I've never used Blue Magic but I also did a polish job on my 686. I used Mothers and it took out all of the fine scratches. There was a lot of rubbing involved and it took many hours but turned out shiny like new. For a couple of the deeper scratches I did use a dremel with a foam bit to polish a little quicker but then finished it with a cloth.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Blue Magic is a really fine polish. I would start with rouge sticks. You can get these at harbor freight or other hardware stores. Start with a brown, then go red, then white. Use a buffing wheel on a grinder or dremel if you want it to be a mirror finish. It's doable, but it's going to take a lot of work/time.

+1 .. Stainless is extremely tough stuff .. it would take a lifetime of rubbing by hand to get to a mirror-finish .. some kind of buffing equipment is probably going to be necessary.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Royal Museum in London uses Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish for all their priceless articals in metal, leather, wood and paper. I have been using it for nearly six years and will now use nothing else on my fine leathers, woods and firearms.

I highly recommend this Wax, also known as Ren-Wax.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The Royal Museum in London uses Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish for all their priceless articals in metal, leather, wood and paper. I have been using it for nearly six years and will now use nothing else on my fine leathers, woods and firearms.

I highly recommend this Wax, also known as Ren-Wax.

This is good stuff. A tiny bit goes a long way, too. I usually use this as a final coat to whatever I've polished. Seems to keep the fingerprint smudges down.

I picked up some polishing compounds and buffer wheels at Harbor Freight after work, and started in again. Nice finish so far, but not mirror finish. I think I'll have to do more work with the white rouge

Top Bottom