• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Blythe's id one of the best gun stores I have ever visited. The guys (and gals) behind the counter are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about helping people. Not the same old "What the h*ll are you doin' is my store messin' up my huntin' stories?" looks you get at most (yeah, unfortunately, most) gun stores. I've not been to the Valpo location, but I have every intention of heading up there soon.

I'd much rather patronize these locally owned spots. Nothing against Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Gander Mountain--I know those stores do a great deal of good for The Cause, but I'll always prefer the mom and pop shops for general relaxation and camraderie.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've gotten some GREAT service at Blythe's and some great prices too. My ONLY problem with them is their attitude and pricing on TRANSFER guns. I collect one particular brand of gun that has been out of production for many years, even doing multiple transfers they hit me for $50 per transfer. That is crazy.

They want to hit me for $50 for a NEW production gun that they can order and sell me, honestly I have no problem with that, but to hit me for $50 for old guns, especially when I do multiple transfers and they charge $50 each gun, well that is a bit too much for me. I will shop there, I will buy new guns from them, but they will never get another transfer from me.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Yeah, I overheard them telling someone that when asked. I couldn't believe it. Kind of negates any good deal you find through online auctioning. I guess no where is perfect, and everyone has a right to eat, but it is aggravating.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I overheard them telling someone that when asked. I couldn't believe it. Kind of negates any good deal you find through online auctioning. I guess no where is perfect, and everyone has a right to eat, but it is aggravating.

I have no problem with them beating people up for buying a Glock or XD on an online auction for $20 less than they could buy it from Blythes. But my gripe is for old guns/out of production pieces/collector arms. Some of the guns I've had transfered in are literally one of a dozen produced and were made 20 or 30 years ago. They wouldn't be selling those guns out of their inventory. So all they did was chase me to another dealer.

I used to deal with CNI in Crown Point, he had a 2 tier price system. $50 for a new gun, or $20 for an old piece. If I did multiple transfers at the same time he'd give me an additional discount.

The kid at Blythe's gave me a song and dance (actually he lied through his teeth to me) about how if the gun costs more they have to deal with it differently and was angling to charge me more for a gun that cost over $1000 by claiming (lying) that expensive guns have to have different paperwork. Bullcrap.

I did 2 transfers with them, both from another collector, both in the same shipment on the same day. Both guns were the same brand, same model, but one had unusual stampings and that made it more valuable to collectors. They wanted to charge me more than $50 to transfer that gun because it proof marks stamped into it and cost more on the collectors market? BULL. And the reason he gave was because that gun cost me more? He's a liar and I'll never deal with him, the other guy was a nice guy. There are several nice guys in there and a few tools.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I have no problem with them beating people up for buying a Glock or XD on an online auction for $20 less than they could buy it from Blythes. But my gripe is for old guns/out of production pieces/collector arms. Some of the guns I've had transfered in are literally one of a dozen produced and were made 20 or 30 years ago. They wouldn't be selling those guns out of their inventory. So all they did was chase me to another dealer.

I used to deal with CNI in Crown Point, he had a 2 tier price system. $50 for a new gun, or $20 for an old piece. If I did multiple transfers at the same time he'd give me an additional discount.

The kid at Blythe's gave me a song and dance (actually he lied through his teeth to me) about how if the gun costs more they have to deal with it differently and was angling to charge me more for a gun that cost over $1000 by claiming (lying) that expensive guns have to have different paperwork. Bullcrap.

I did 2 transfers with them, both from another collector, both in the same shipment on the same day. Both guns were the same brand, same model, but one had unusual stampings and that made it more valuable to collectors. They wanted to charge me more than $50 to transfer that gun because it proof marks stamped into it and cost more on the collectors market? BULL. And the reason he gave was because that gun cost me more? He's a liar and I'll never deal with him, the other guy was a nice guy. There are several nice guys in there and a few tools.

thats messed up how he lied like that, i was there once and the prices are decent.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Blythe's was OK when I bought a handgun a few months ago from them, however I went a couple days ago, my wife wanted to look at a couple guns. She was somewhat reluctant to pick which ones she wanted to handle, so he just walked away not saying a word. I actually had cash to buy her one and almost bought myself another S&W. They lost my business.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Blythe's was OK when I bought a handgun a few months ago from them, however I went a couple days ago, my wife wanted to look at a couple guns. She was somewhat reluctant to pick which ones she wanted to handle, so he just walked away not saying a word. I actually had cash to buy her one and almost bought myself another S&W. They lost my business.

Are you saying that Blythe's was not forthcoming enough?

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Go to Debs in hammond for transfers I think its like 25.00 unless someone told me wrong. They can also order any gun you want and will beat most others from my experience.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Go to Debs in hammond for transfers I think its like 25.00 unless someone told me wrong. They can also order any gun you want and will beat most others from my experience.

Blythes has ordered many guns for me and given me great prices and service, not required a deposit, etc. I can't complain about that. What I am specifically upset about is the kid who lied to me. Skinny young man, dark hair, crappy attitude, I could easily pick that kid out of a crowd and if he was the only guy available then I'd walk out.

Overall I'm not a big fan of the store but I certainly am not against it either. I understand they need to make a buck or two on transfers and I don't begrudge them making a profit. As I've been known to do as many as 30 to 40 transfers a year I was just hoping to work out a long term arrangement with them. I've had that with other stores and in exchange was a loyal customer on other goods, only reason I no longer use CNI is because Chuck retired and moved to Arkansas. I did run into his brother at the Indy 1500 and he offered to cut me a deal on transfers at the shop he is working with now, a bit of a drive but if I don't find someone closer then that is where I will be going. (Class III Sales, New Carlisle)

I'm not asking for anything for free, not asking for anyone to lose money. I'm just asking for a bit of consideration on the transfers of OUT OF PRODUCTION COLLECTOR PIECES that they can NOT inventory from one of their suppliers. Most of the pieces I buy come from other collectors and we buy/sell by word of mouth, sometimes over internet auction sites, but in any case we need a dealer for transfers.

Blythe's got a $100 from me for two transfers that took them 10 minutes to process. They won't get it again. Yes, I know they also have to log them into/out of their book in the back but seriously $100 for that? If they would have charged me $20 or $25 each I'd be back there this week. And probably a couple times every month for the foreseeable future. Probably would be buying ammo and supplies while I was in there too. Seems like they screwed up. I told the guy how many transfers I do. Either he didn't believe me or didn't care. But in either case he lost a good chunk of business, its a 30+ minute drive for me to get to Griffith, so no skin off my back if I only make it there a couple times a year.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Wesforth's gave me a line about you HAVING to use an FFL to sell a gun privately, and how it will be traced back to you, bla bla bla. I still go there to negotiate, once they know that you aren't an idiot they will sell a gun to you for the real world price.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Got a guy in Portage who will do a $20 transfer, last I checked. PM me for info.

Chuck down in CNI is a great guy, very fair, but isn't open anymore.

I have always been treated well at Blythe's in Griffith, but have never done a transfer there.

glockarmour34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    debsw does charge $50 a transfer but if you do do mutli transfer from same dealer its just $50 so you can have 5 guns transfered there its only $50 thats $10 a gun and if you talk to them and plan on using them more im sure they would work something out with you

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I've got some really great deals from the guys at Griffith. They have treated me right on many a trade in/purchase. Their selection is nice for the relative small size of the store. However, if it weren't for the indoor range at the Valpo store - I don't think I would frequent there anymore. I have been quoted some really low trade in values on some safe queens that I was looking to swap and although I understand economics 101 - I was really turned off by them. There prices are very high unless you catch one of their sales. There's no reason that they have to get $25 more for a S&W M&P clip than I can find at many locations elsewhere. All in all - great sales but thats it!

Top Bottom