• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeronimoJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Just adding my $.02, Blythe's in griffith and Blythe's in valpo are like night and day. In Valpo there is some fetus behind the counter that has more crap hanging off his utility belt than Batman, and some balding grump who looks like he crawled out of a duffel bag. As far as prices go, anything with a black stock and a flash hider may as well be made of gold. That being said DEALS CAN BE FOUND you just have to be in the right place at the right time. All you have to do is wait for someone to come in with something they want to sell, watch carefully and listen for Cromagnum Man to say "That is the best price I can do, those don't sell around here" and wait for the would be seller to begin to walk out. Now all you have to do is offer a fair price and make your deal. I have seen this done a number of times and done it myself, I even asked Homo Habilis for a sheet of paper so I could write up a Bill of Sale.

cubsfan1984

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    +1 for Blythes

Went in earlier today. They had tons of surplus ammo all over the place, mostly .308 and 7.62x54r even tracers. Went on looking at HD shotguns and maybe a .22 pistol for the woman. Didn't get either but on the way out I saw a little box of magazines marked $5 so I decided to look through it. Needless to say I found brand new magazines for my Taurus PT140PRO, my friends Hi-point C9, and my parents M&P40.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Hi

I just purchased my first gun and tried to use Blythes. They said they wanted I believe it was $85.00. They said they really don't like doing transfers, that they want to sell the gun themselves. I got even a higher cost at Westforth's in Gary. I finally got to Bass Pro Shop and they said $35.00, which is the figure I read about on all forums around the country. So I now drive to BPS from Gary. They have earned my business from now on.

I found the best price on guns at Impact Guns Online Store

jim

Where is this Bass Pro Shop? I have heard so much about it, but have never been there...

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have alot of experience with the valpo store. I have been going in there since i was a little kid with my dad, so like 25 years now. I only deal with one person in the store, not sure if i should give out the owners name or not. I would say that over all most of my experiences have been good ones. I don't go in there near as much now as i used to since i moved..and work in a different gun shop, but if i am in the area i always stop in. Never know what you are going to find.

Ram1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Porter County
    Positive Experience

I've followed this forum for a while, but finally decided to register and post something. Maybe Blythe's has tried to improve over the past year or two... I've been going in there on and off for about 25 years. I agree that they have been sort of "standoff-ish" to talk to, but maybe they're working on that, too.

I was looking around to trade in a Colt Woodsman for a compact to subcompact sized auto for conceal carry. After looking around at a few different shops in the area (the big ones), as well as the internet, I decided to go with something in the 9mm. It was a toss up between a Walther PPS and the new Ruger LC9... the Ruger was more around my price point for what I wanted it for, and I've had few other firearms from Ruger that I was really happy with.

I had already brought the Woodsman into the store to get an idea of what they would take for it, and it was very much in line with the valuation of a 3rd-series target model in it's condition (taking into consideration trade-in value, not selling outright). That being the case, I was willing to overlook Blythe's typical markup on their firearms, which in the price range for the LC9 to PPS, looks to be about $50-$100 more than the internet prices.

This is where it gets interesting... when I finally decided to go in and give them my business, they were very courteous, attempting to get the paperwork going and done as quickly as possible (I was on my lunch break and didn't have a lot of time). When the gentleman pulled the pistol down from the wall, I said, "I think it was tagged at $429 when I looked at it last", and he took a look at the tag and said, "How about I give it to you for $399?"

That really floored me that I didn't even have to enter into bartering with them... they just gave me a break from their tagged price right from the get-go. I know that $399 is a little on the high side compared to LC9 internet prices, but when you add in a transfer fee, it really starts to get very close to what you can order online.

Anyway, who knows, maybe their coming around some from years past... at least it was a positive experience for me. :)

valposhooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    valparaiso
    Yes? No? What do you guys think? I have used them several times since I really don't have anything close. Kinda high on ammo. No reloading supplies! Seems they like to use fear tactics as selling points. Price on long guns seemed O.K, Handguns Sorta inline. Used guns forget it way to high. Black guns and any other "Assult" type seemed way to high. :twocents:
    Great prices in their ads in the local newpaper. Nwitimes.com

Ram1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Porter County
    I've followed this forum for a while, but finally decided to register and post something. Maybe Blythe's has tried to improve over the past year or two... I've been going in there on and off for about 25 years. I agree that they have been sort of "standoff-ish" to talk to, but maybe they're working on that, too.

I was looking around to trade in a Colt Woodsman for a compact to subcompact sized auto for conceal carry. After looking around at a few different shops in the area (the big ones), as well as the internet, I decided to go with something in the 9mm. It was a toss up between a Walther PPS and the new Ruger LC9... the Ruger was more around my price point for what I wanted it for, and I've had few other firearms from Ruger that I was really happy with.

I had already brought the Woodsman into the store to get an idea of what they would take for it, and it was very much in line with the valuation of a 3rd-series target model in it's condition (taking into consideration trade-in value, not selling outright). That being the case, I was willing to overlook Blythe's typical markup on their firearms, which in the price range for the LC9 to PPS, looks to be about $50-$100 more than the internet prices.

This is where it gets interesting... when I finally decided to go in and give them my business, they were very courteous, attempting to get the paperwork going and done as quickly as possible (I was on my lunch break and didn't have a lot of time). When the gentleman pulled the pistol down from the wall, I said, "I think it was tagged at $429 when I looked at it last", and he took a look at the tag and said, "How about I give it to you for $399?"

That really floored me that I didn't even have to enter into bartering with them... they just gave me a break from their tagged price right from the get-go. I know that $399 is a little on the high side compared to LC9 internet prices, but when you add in a transfer fee, it really starts to get very close to what you can order online.

Anyway, who knows, maybe their coming around some from years past... at least it was a positive experience for me. :)

Oh... and I forgot to mention, they also gave me a free range card ($10 now) when I picked up the LC9. :D

I tried going to nwitimes.com and clicking on the "Print Ads" link, but eventually just got errors before getting any actual ads.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I got a bad taste in my mouth when I called them about doing a transfer. The guy on the phone said they "started" at $50. I asked, "What does 'started' mean"?

He told me that they have to insure each gun that comes in, so that is an extra charge.

BS! I can see if you're a class 3 dealer bringing in a $30,000 MG, but your liability insurance policy would cover any firearms you have in the store.

Any dealer that feeds that line, or especially the "sales tax" on a transfer line, will never get any of my business if I can help it.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Blythe's wanted $100 - plus shipping - for the transfer paperwork when I was selling a Hi-Power to someone in another state.

As far as I'm concerned it's a shooting range with some nice guns on display.

Top Bottom