• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Are you telling me that proving (via birth cert, passport, etc) that you are a valid resident of this state is really that much of a hassle? We are all bitching about our security but don't want to do this or that. Yes some things are more useful that others (ie: taking off your shoes at the airport). I want to see that items that truely cripple the flood of illegals. Obama is already taking care of eliminating small business jobs in America- no jobs then no need for illegals...

I think you are missing the point (at least MY point). It is not the increased proof of residency/ID that I object to. It is that after all this increase in security, they then turn around and MAIL you the ID/License.

Do you realize how easy it would be for some unscrupulous Postal employee(s) to start an ID theft ring now? Sure, the pic won't match, but they now have a Valid ID in possession to make the rest of the process that much easier.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    These new ID cards are now conforming to the UN Global ID specifications as mandated by the Federal gov't in the REAL ID measures to stop "terrorism". Congress realized they needed additional biometrics which will be in the implementation of PASS ID, which is awaiting passage on Capitol Hill.

new ways of herding the sheep to slaughter. Folks keep trading Liberty for "Security".

The problem i have is they are stealing my Liberty for their "Security".

No thanks.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I saw the interview on the news with the Head of the BMV explaining this.

His reasoning for this was that 90% or of the time people do not use there drivers license to prove they are a driver. They use it for ID when asked.

I have always had a problem with this especially in business. I go to a lot of different customers. They always ask me for ID and I show them my workid. If they ask to see my drivers license I usually will decline. I even had one company want to scan my drivers license and put it in their database. Uh... NO..

Why is it they won't let you have an ID and a drivers license? Never made sense to me.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm in no way opposed to the BMV making sure that people are who they say they are. My two complaints with the change are:

1. I'm not a fan of having information commonly used by identity thieves sitting in an unsecured mailbox - hence my choice to have a P.O. Box for my bills, credit card statements, etc. Identity theft is a HUGE and ever-growing problem and two of the easiest things you can do to protect yourself are using a P.O. Box (to prevent shopping in your mailbox) and a shredder (to prevent shopping in your trash). Both are excellent ideas.

2. I'm a fan of simplifying processes - governmental ones included. The process of issuing a temporary ID card and later mailing the real one will clearly require more people and substantially more $$$ than the current process. Again, I'm a fan of making sure people getting ID cards really are who they claim to be, but think there could be another way.

If the image system updates at night (makes sense from a system standpoint), could the comparison not be made to the database at the time the image was taken? The short answer is "yes" of course. There is a longer and I'm sure very complicated process involved, but of course it could be done at that time so you could simply take the ID when you leave...just like now.

In that case, your photo might not be able to be verified against other photos from TODAY, but it sounds it could be compared to every other photo in the database from PRIOR TO TODAY. On the off chance that someone ran around to several BMV branches on the same day for fake ID's they would still get caught that night and each ID would be flagged.

I 100% support making sure of the identity of the person on the ID. I do not support waste or well-intentioned policies that have negative unintended consequences.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    BMV: The 149 Stolen Identities Of William Sherman Smith

The 149 Stolen Identities Of William Sherman Smith

William Sherman Smith acquired 149 different Indiana driver's licenses and identification cards using authentic birth certificates and Social Security numbers, mostly from deceased Ohio residents. Using the fake identities, Smith was able to swindle $250,000 from various businesses. He was captured in Nebraska in December 2008 and has been charged in multiple Indiana counties and by the federal government for various crimes.

See the link for all the pics of the guy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom