• ...and so much more!
  • Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The problem was the long waits. So rather than measure the ACTUAL problem, they ignored the problem and through slight of hand made themselves look great without having to change anything. (they did get better, coincidentally)
    I don't know but here's what I think. They can't really control how many people walk in the door at the same time. If they shorten the time to do business, doesn't that also shorten the time that others wait? It seems useless to me to measure time that people are waiting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't know but here's what I think. They can't really control how many people walk in the door at the same time. If they shorten the time to do business, doesn't that also shorten the time that others wait? It seems useless to me to measure time that people are waiting.
    They cant control the customers but they can control staff levels. If we have to wait too long, its because you dont have enough staff to properly service the customers in a timely and reasonable manner. So if there are too many customers, its your job to hire more staff to handle them. Plain and simple.

Measuring the wait is EXACTLY what is needed to prove the ENTIRE picture of their efficiency.

If they have only one person who is REALLY good at what they do trying to service a mob, are they truly being efficient? Measuring only part of the process is lying.

EDIT: If Dominos went back to the "Delivery in 30 mins or its free" gimmick, but didnt start the clock until the driver put his key in the ignition, is that a fair measure of 30 minutes?

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thanks guys, this is in state clear title. From the perspective of someone who grew up having to do this stuff in Illinois the Indiana BMV is one of the best parts of Indiana. I only wish they had not closed down the Crown Point office.
    Big agree. I've been turned away a couple of times, but always with a clear explanation of what I needed. Don't think I've ever shown up with what I needed and not been able to complete what I was trying to do.

Granted I don't think we should be paying for any of this tax and licensing nonsense, but we for sure have a much more efficient BMV system than a lot of states.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So if there are too many customers, its your job to hire more staff to handle them. Plain and simple.
    I'm sure they have a count of the customers to determine if they need more staff. You still don't need to keep track of wait times. I guess we can agree to disagree about that. As you said before, the wait times decreased.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I just went through the private sale process this week. I was told that bills of sale are not necessary for in-state private sales. BMV doesn't even want to see them. Filled out boxes on the back of the title are enough.

OP yes you can gift a car and sell for $1, or $100, or whatever.

Do be aware that you cannot mark out and fix any mistakes when filling out the title. They will turn you away and tell you to make the seller sign a revision form. Ask me how I know. But for in-state a signed title, driver's license, and proof of insurance on the new car is sufficient.
    Bill of sale requirements must depend on which office you go to. I've had to go back to the seller and get a bill of sale to register a vehicle before...

There are provisions to gift a vehicle to a relative w/ no sales tax required, but I forget the details.

--Rick

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It was a cash deal we bought outright. To be honest, there isnt a difference.

It really depends on the employee. I go enough to know which ones may let me slide and which ones are by the book.

A couple months ago I had one employee making me jump through hoops trying to replace a title lost by my bank. I took in all this paperwork she requested. When I brought it in, the next girl set all of it aside like it was nothing, which it was.
    I once was told I didn’t have the required docs, walked out and right back in, waited a second time, got it done easy with different clerk.

Pro-tip: particularly when buying out of state, get limited POA if seller will sign it so you can legally fix anything that the doc dictators say. Went in, was told seller must sign a particular doc, went to the truck, signed it for seller with POA, went right back in and they did not even ask to see the POA. LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And from wherever Glenn Beck is from, I guess they had a doozy of a system out there. I cant find the audio, but many years ago he told a nightmare story about his tripS to get something done. He'd show up and they'd tell him (after he had to wait 45 minutes) that he didnt have everything he needed. So they sent him away to come back with x y and z. He returned as instructed and was told that no, he needed w, y, and z, and x wasnt necessary. After another 45 minute wait of course.

I forget how many trips he made, but as I recall my part of the story is half or less. At least here, They usually have somebody greeting you when you get there to make sure you have what you need before taking a number and waiting. Ive seen numerous people turned away within minutes of arrival. So they do something right.

But dont get me started on the great scam that is the time stamp that proved how efficient they are. But the clock doesnt start running when you walk in the door; it finally starts AFTER your wait when you sit down to actually do your business. And that wasnt the problem. The problem was the long waits. So rather than measure the ACTUAL problem, they ignored the problem and through slight of hand made themselves look great without having to change anything. (they did get better, coincidentally)
    Sounds like Michigan, the SOS office is so f***** up that covid shutdowns made it better. That statement is no exaggeration at all. It is that bad.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Bill of sale requirements must depend on which office you go to. I've had to go back to the seller and get a bill of sale to register a vehicle before...

There are provisions to gift a vehicle to a relative w/ no sales tax required, but I forget the details.

--Rick
    Well, from what people are telling me in this thread I'm gonna keep doing bills of sale on cars going forward. Doesn't cost anything, takes five minutes, goes in my personal records either way. Thought it was kind of weird that the form is still on the state website and still one of the first Google results if "we don't use those for anything anymore".

Top Bottom