• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hey guys. I am headed down to Florida in the next couple days, and I am planning to do some boar hunting (:rockwoot:)while I am down there. The thing is, I have never hunted boar, and I don't know much about it. I have permission to hunt some property well-populated with boar, and the owner has been putting corn out to bring 'em in.

I'll be hunting at night, but I'm not sure on much of the specifics. If anyone has done this before and has some advice, I'd much appreciate it.
    :ingo:

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    If you keep calling them boars your going to be disappointed when all you see are 100lb wild pigs.

I like to stalk around during the day time and kill them that way. Their eye site is bad. They have a good nose but its usually in the dirt.

Good luck and have a good time.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Haha fair enough!

Do you normally stalk them by tracks, or just searching a certain area?

stalk through the woods and palmettos. Walk slow scanning the areas looking for them sleeping. FInd the areas that look like a tiller went through them and you will find pigs. If you bust them up out of the brush, snot, squeal like a pig and stomp your feet. They are pretty stupid and will come back to you.;)

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    What area will you be hunting. I was down there last year around Deland and saw a couple that would have went well over 200lbs.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    using a red light helps , doesn't scare them off usually . Keep your shots in the head , neck area . Wounded pigs can turn mean and they can really run . Carry a back-up handgun , get in the brush with one is fun but dangerous . good luck

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I go out for coyotes pretty frequently at night with a light that supposedly was developed for hog hunting at night. I recently switched from one of the primos red scope mounted lights to the wilson, and have had great success with it even without a red filter. Have fun, and I agree with the other post as to carrying a pistol as well as the long gun.

Night Hunter Kit | Fits 1" Scope-Wilson Combat

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In FL you can either go hog hunting...

(and) or you can go hog killing.

Both are done and both are necessary. The wild hogs down there are ruining stuff at an amazing pace.

Along the levies/dams/waterways/etc...the hog killing is done as pest control. And they're treated as such.

Hog HUNTING would be for the purposes of meat for yourself and/or your hunting party (or to donate to a food bank, I suppose).

As said above, these are wild hogs...not really 'boar'. And as such, you can get away with lighter gear than if you were to travel to the Ural Mountains in Russia and attempt to tackle 600lb Russian boars.

Still, though, be sure to bring enough gun. Shoot well; don't let 'em suffer. Kill as many as you can!

-J-

Top Bottom