• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've used a .270, 35 Whelen, 30-30, 32 Win and 405 Win in Florida, Texas and California. We see quite a few coyotes on these trips, and can use the rifles for pig or predator, it works well.

The last few trips I've used 44 Mag and 41 Mag in revolvers with soft and hard cast bullets, those trips have been in thick woods in the Carolinas.

They all work well. My brother is headed to Texas with a long bow in a few weeks, he always gets a few.

At the end of the day, a lung shot will always kill them, the only pigs I've truely "dropped" were head shots or double front shoulder shots (.270 with Nosler Partition).

Shoot the .270, or any other favorite round, and enjoy!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, are you asking because you already have a .270?

If you already have one, I'd certainly use it. It's plenty good hog medicine. Plus ammo availability seems to be good, too. Walmart ALWAYS has it. Might not be the best stuff around, quality wise, but they'll always have it.

If you're starting from ground zero in the hog hunting firearm realm, there are lots of things to consider... Cost to buy the platform, availability of the ammo, cost of ammo, what other purposes do you want to use the rifle for...

If I ever get myself on a hog trip, I'm going to borrow my step dad's .270 and his .30-30.

-J-

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Hogs aren't hard to kill, put it through the boiler room and you have bacon. I have killed them graveyard dead with 65 gr bullets out of a 223 through the shoulders. Any good deer rifle is a good hog rifle. Just put the bullet where it belongs.

PaPa 260

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Bowie knife and some good dogs.

You'll never look at gun hunting the same again.

lol so i was in ft polk LA with the 10th mountain and one of my fellow NCO'S says ssg trap lets take this 4 day and head to my farm in FL and go hog hunting. i say hell yeah lets do it brother. so we get down there and do our thing. we are riding in a truck with the dogs in back and bam we stop dogs give chase (for a huge distance damn) we are chasing (me with my rifle) and the dogs bay this sow, rather large 200 lbs or so (decent for american pigs) and my buddy runs up jumps on and sticks that bit#$. the next one he jumps on and ropes it so they can save it. i am steady trying to tell him this isn't how we do sh@# in the midwest but he won't listen so he says ptrap its your turn get em and its a big boy probably close to 350 lbs the dogs bay it up and we run up on it and he says jump on it and stick it. so i am standing next to him and he is laughing and watching as i shoulder my rifle and shoot that mf'er lol and he says wtf. i said brother thats how we do it where i am from, yall can keep that jumping on the back sh@# down here in the south lol. none the less i ended up knifing one and it was insane but a ton of fun but the meat is definitely much gamier when you do it that way i think based off the adrenaline in the pig alone. either way its a different sport for sure. i love pig hunting and have tons of stories for it even involving guns where it didn't effect the pig like folks thought (saw a guy dump 17 rounds of 9 mil in the plate or shoulder and the pig turning to charge) wow sorry for the rant. find a spot and fill your fridge with some fresh bacon.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    .270 is a good round. Get on Texasbowhunter and ask those guys the best way to hunt them and what bullet. I have seen lots of vids with folks using a whole lot less but it has to do with bullet placement more than anything.
    Chris Kiefner

Top Bottom