• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I am planning a trip to Tenn. for Russian boar hunting. I have narrowed it down to 3 lodges Wilderness Lodge, Caryonah, and Spartan. Does anybody have any recommendations for getting a large Russian boar. I don't want to shoot a hog that looks like one that I have in my barnlot though.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I'm headed to Caryonah in July. There are a couple members on here who have already been there. Hopefully they will chime in.

I read reviews for different lodges in Tennessee and it seemed that Caryonah had the most favorable.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    have hunted at both Caryonah and Wilderness, in years past. I also have hunted at Clarkrange, years ago. The only place I ever saw any hogs approaching "pure russian" was at Wilderness. Alan Wilson has a nice place. Plus, you can hunt any way you like. With or without a guide, spot/stalk, tree stand, or dogs. Here's a couple pics of the hogs we took there in March of 2010.

my hog

my son's hog, taken on the same trip.

a pic of one of the 3 lodges he has.

Maddog

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    I took mine from a tree stand out of a herd of 8 that all looked that way. There were several russian types taken that weekend from several hunters. They do have the razorback/feral type of pigs, too. You just have to know what you are looking for, and be somewhat picky.

Maddog

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I took mine from a tree stand out of a herd of 8 that all looked that way. There were several russian types taken that weekend from several hunters. They do have the razorback/feral type of pigs, too. You just have to know what you are looking for, and be somewhat picky.

Maddog

Did you make a mount? Got pics?

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I watched a few youtube videos from Wilderness, and they showed a lot of what look like barn yard hogs, but the ones you shot look like that is the place to go.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I checked out Wilderness's website. I'm assuming it's a fenced in hunt when I see things like the exotic animals. Is it?

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    In TN., all the advertised hunts for hogs/exotics are high fence hunts. You want free range, your best bets are Fla. or TX., and most all of those are feral hogs. California may be one of the few places you can find free range "russian" type hogs.

Mad Dog

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While doing some research a yr or two ago I stumbled across info about a southern ranch of thousands of acres, where they had their own breeding population of euro blood boar.

You could shoot sow, piglet or boar, and each had a price.

IIRC a big boar had over a 2K trophy fee (plus whatever the hunt cost). Monsters were $2500, maybe more?

Technically not free range, but with that much ground and full access, it was close enough IMHO. Expensive though.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Technically not free range, but with that much ground and full access, it was close enough IMHO. Expensive though.

That's kind of where I come from on these things. If's it's fenced and I can stand at one far corner and see the other then I don't see it worth the $$ to pay to shoot a critter. On the other hand if it's fenced and I could get lost going from one end to the other that's a different situation too. I look at the fenced hunting and put & take bird hunting as a do-it-yourself grocery store more so than a hunting trip.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am sure Wilderness has both ferral hogs and black Russian type. My father in-law shot a ferral barn yard looking hog there and had it mounted. Boy is he ugly! I went down to Loushbough hunting range in TN and shot a nice pure looking russian type. I wanted a good eater size so I picked out a small one. I did see some that were pretty large. I also hit Little Lake Lodge in Okachobe FL and had a great time. Also went for more of a meat hog and doubble tapped a small one on the run with my AR. Good times!

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    We visited the High Adventure Ranch in Cook Station, Missouri last fall. We wanted two large Sow hogs for meat...no interest in trophy teeth. The Feral hogs ranged in appearance from barnyard to Russian with a lot of half-breeds in the herds. The place is 5 sq miles, so it is easy to lose sight of the 'fenced-yard' concept.

We found a herd that had several mixed breed hogs and nailed two Sows each over 300 lbs. I used my Winchester Model 100 308, with a 165 gr sjsp Remington round. My wife used her Rurger 44 mag semi-auto carbine, with Mag-tech 240 gr sjsp ammo. The guide helped her find a place to sit and she used my cane for a shooting stick...range about 70 yards, and her Hog did not move, just dropped where she was. Jan got an ear-shot. I hit mine just behind the shoulder and popped her lungs. The hog did a great back flip (for her weight class) and died.

We were looking for meat hogs, and these two really did it. They may look like 'yard hogs, but they were running with a mixed herd all sizes, shapes and attitudes.

Jan got a White-tail doe as a bonus on this 'hunt'. We were treated very well, the ranch was very comfortable and the food was great. We had the hogs butchered and wrapped by the guys there...as opposed to quartering and then processing it at home. We came hone with 465 lbs of grocery quality pork and 67 lbs of pkg Venison.

Jan shoots her hog
    12226.jpg

Then gets her Doe
    12229.jpg

Our two hogs ready for cleaning and cutting
    12227.jpg

Ribs a week later
    12245.jpg

And part of the 25 lbs of Bacon made fomthe Pork Belly-
    12265.jpg

We will go back to this 'ranch' this year. It beat the primitive hunting camp we hd used before in Texas. I can't walk much anymore so a stand or a truck hunt is my only option. High Adventure saved us a long roadtrip (expense) and was all-inclusive, rather than getting lots of add-on fees like we did at the Texas camp. We are considering chasing down a Bison with our Hogs this year. Cost a bit...but I would love to have a freezer full of Buffalo with our hogs.

12240.jpg

12256.jpg

Deer, Elk, & Bison come into the meadow at sunset...They know there is no night time hunting on the ranch. The fences enclose a five square mile area plenty of room to 'roam'.

Last edited:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We've started looking into a hunting vacation and I'm really glad to see someone mention High Adventure Ranch as that's one we've (I think) put on the short list to consider.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Lori-
    3 factors really affected our decision... The Texas camp we used before was a 2600 mile round trip and required motel stops each way and a very long drive. AND the accomodations were basically Home Depot sheds with small AC units and a hanging lite fixture and solid wood bunk beds in them. Then there were a number of fees..buying our own bait corn, skinning and quartering, freezer time, mandatory tipping amounts...all raising what started to be a moderate priced hunt. Our 3 day 2 nite hunt cost about $3200 including travel and the cost of the meat processor at home .

High Adventure was all-inclusive pricing. We tipped our guide and the lady who provided some fine food in the dining hall, voluntairily. Our pkg included the two hogs and one doe, with full meat processing and freezing included. The ride was less than 6 hours from the Metro Louisville area (Floyd County, IN). We did go over the evening before and stayed in Rolla, MO to be nearby for the morning entry., but left with our meat in coolers and was home before 4PM the day we left.

Accommodations were very nice. i require a 'handicpped' facility and bath and theirs was a Modular home tha could have slept 12 in 3 bedrooms and three bths. We had the place to ourselves in Mid-September. Very comfortable arrangements. The camp can handle 20+ hunters at a time. There were 6 in camp including us the mid-week days we were there.

After dinner in the evening we drove around the place photographing the various animal breeds. They come in out of the woods each evening. the elk were bugleing all night for 'music to dream by !!
    Our total cost including gas and one nite in a local motel and all camp costs was $2300...about a $900 less than our previous Texas trip, with a much more relaxing overall outcome. It will be a late summer or fall trip for us this year again.

PS if you have them do the meat processing , have some of your hog made into their ground sausage...it is better quality than any of the store sausage we have used. It is GOOD !

Last edited:

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Give these guys a look before you make your decision. I've been a few times and they offer a pretty good deal...no fancy lodge though.

Index

After a couple of Texas Ranch trips where the bunkhouses were H D Sheds with a hanging light fixture and a gravel path to the common shower room and latrine, the Missouri place seemed pretty nice to us. The modular home had a handicapped room on one end, a full kitchen that we did not use, and then two more bedrooms and two baths on the other end...unoccupied doing our stay. The dining room was comfortable, and was spotless clean. The food was first class. AND our guide treated us as family...

It was my wife's first ever hunt, so she got to do pretty much whatever she wanted to do regarding tracking and shooting. The Guide checked her shooting arrangements and she did well following his directions.
    We are seriously considering going back this Summer (September) for two more Hogs and a Cow Bison (herd cull animal). No decision yet, but we are thinking it over.

Top Bottom