• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I understand the problem but am trying to figure out how it happened; my boat trailer is a tandem axle trailer and last year I noticed that both tires on the rear axle are seriously positive cambered. The tops of both rear tires are canted out noticeably at the top. Both tires on the lead axle are square as they should be. I'm trying to determine what caused the problem, if the trailer were overloaded I would assume that all 4 tires would display the same problems. I've jacked it up and checked the bearings and all appear to be in good condition. Anybody got any ideas?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My first thought was bearings but you said they seem good. A quick google search had me seeing mention of a tweaked axle (but one of those posts the people knew they hit something).

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Was it always like that or did you notice that the tires just didnt look right? Does the cant change when its loaded/unloaded?

We have a 40' trailer at work thats about 10 years old and the rear tires are canted too. I noticed this when the trailer was about a year and I called the manufacturer of the the trailer. they said that was the norm. The trailer gets heavy use and has a lot of miles on it and we havent had any problems with tire wear.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Was it always like that or did you notice that the tires just didnt look right? Does the cant change when its loaded/unloaded?

We have a 40' trailer at work thats about 10 years old and the rear tires are canted too. I noticed this when the trailer was about a year and I called the manufacturer of the the trailer. they said that was the norm. The trailer gets heavy use and has a lot of miles on it and we havent had any problems with tire wear.

I don't "think" it's always been this way.. . . . . . .I had it in storage for about 3 years (pre through post divorce) but don't honestly remember it being this way. On the off chance that somebody pulled a switcheroo on me while it was buried at the storage facility I crawled up under it to see if there were any obvious signs of a swap but there weren't any. I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see what they say. I have another tandem trailer and it's definitely not this way.

Top Bottom