• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I was looking for a few books to read and learn from. I am new to this so I would also like them to be small enough to go into a BOB.

What I think would be good to add to the bag would be a SAS type book, edible plants of indiana, and some type of medical first aid book.

Any suggestions on portable size books?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    SAS Survival Handbook, pocket edition for sure. Small but packed with info. May very well help you make better use of the rest of your bag.

Adventure Medical Kits: Wilderness and Travel Medicine would be a good one too. Also a pocket sized book

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm in the process of putting mine onto a pdf and then onto a micro SD card to have on my phone or whatever device will read them. Adobe is pretty universal and I already carry a solar recharger for my phone.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    None for me.
    Takes too much space and weight that can be used for other things.
    Books are great but you need to read them before you need them, not when you need them.It's true for both first aid and survival stuff, you're not going to look out how to stop heavy bleeding in a book when that happens in the field.

Of course it depends how much weight you're willing to carry on your back.
    If you're not going to be on the move on foot then books are always great to have (including novels if you get bored, not just technical books).

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    None for me.
    Takes too much space and weight that can be used for other things.
    Books are great but you need to read them before you need them, not when you need them.It's true for both first aid and survival stuff, you're not going to look out how to stop heavy bleeding in a book when that happens in the field.

Of course it depends how much weight you're willing to carry on your back.
    If you're not going to be on the move on foot then books are always great to have (including novels if you get bored, not just technical books).

+1

A friend of mine has already through hiked the Pacific crest trail and is currently in NM on his way to completing the continental divide trail and he takes nothing that isn't absolutely vital necessary , he read all the books before hand.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I do plan on reading and practicing but in the mean time I would like to have some pocket type books.

There might be a scenario where I am the one needing aid and another person with no experience needs to give it.

I dont want a complete survival book or the like... more like a clifs notes for survival.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Little Black Book

Thomas Glover Pocket Reference

Lots of seemingly useless information, until you need something off the wall.

Magnetic Declination Map
    Rope Pull Angle vs. Strength Loss
    Beaufort Wind Strength Scale
    Morse Code
    Military Rank and Grade
    Climate Data in U.S. Cities
    Concrete Mixture

These and many more in a really small package. A lot of construction mechanical info but still plenty of variety. Occassionaly think about tearing out pages I dont need but then think, you never know when a little knowledge will go a long way.

Top Bottom