• ...and so much more!
  • Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Did you check out the website? Lot's of options. I'm seriously considering trading in my Ronco Pocket Fisherman and getting one of these...lol

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you havent already, check out yo-yo reels. I bought a few cases for barter and for my BOB. I figure you can set a few and leave them so you can attend to other things.

Fishing: Yo-Yo Automatic Fishing Reels - product summary - Bing Shopping

I agree with Rhart.

If you are fighting boredom, a little fishing rod and reel is great for your pack. If you are fishing to survive, I really think limb lines or jugs are the way to go. You can carry a whole mess of hooks and lines in a tiny container. Set them out, check them every now and then, you'll produce much more fish on average than you ever would with a rod and reel.

I like fishing with rod and reel, been doing it all my life. If I had to fish to survive, I would run limb lines no question.

Yoyo's are a nice way of running limb lines if space and weight are not a premium.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    You can cast a long way just wrapping line around a smooth round stick or tube. Just flick it off the end. A few hooks sinkers and bobbers in a capped pvc tube are my Bob fishing gear.

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    Where I fish on a semi-private lake, I watched two Latino men fish with coke cans with line rapped around the side of the cans. When they would catch a bluegill they ran up the bank then the other one would unhook it and toss it in a bucket. Yes they outfished me.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    2 cents

Seems like it would take up excessive space in the bag. I have a collaspable rod I got for christmas and dont have any room for it in the bag. I would go with a spool of 12lb and fill the cut outs in the middle with a few hooks, feathers, and lures. Cover it up with duck tape and you have a mini fishing kit.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you know and understand the flipping technique, this can be very handy to have with heavy test line. Just remove the measuring tape and reel on some line.

Wright & McGill Fly Reel Tape Measure | Bass Pro Shops

The hand line technique can be used on anything shaped like the hand held coil posted earlier or on any round can or bottle you find. You just need the line so you might as well coil it on something you can use.

http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationforthesoul.com/articles/hooray_for_the_hand_line.html

Another trick, most serious fisherman have extra spinning reel line spools, often some go to reels they no longer even have. You can wrap one with line and toss it in your gear. There is a flat version of a hand line coil that is very good. I have made similar ones but his are cool, if you can find them? No clue of the name of it or if they are still available. Once you see one, it is an easy concept to copy.

I have 2 Lews Speed Sticks from the 70's if I want to pack a heavy duty casting rod. Many other spinning pack rods as well. The rod in the OP is a 50-100 year old design that was made in different size rods at one time or another. Since you need a reel you don't gain much with it when you factor the weight of that rig versus ultralight pack rods, fly rods or collapsible rods.

If you are going to use a reel you want quality line on it and a good drag in the reel. For that reason alone I would pack a quality UL spinning reel over the rig in the OP. You can also easily pack ice fishing rods in a pack to use with a UL spinning reel. You can also make a rod in the field and attach the spinning reel to it Tennessee style. To this day I prefer to have some of my serious rods rigged this way.

Now pay attention son...................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sdGFEgJjs

I keep a homemade mini trotline that uses small treble hooks in my kit.

PS found it http://www.streamlines.com/order.htm

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Where I fish on a semi-private lake, I watched two Latino men fish with coke cans with line rapped around the side of the cans. When they would catch a bluegill they ran up the bank then the other one would unhook it and toss it in a bucket. Yes they outfished me.

A lot to be learned in fishing from other cultures. I'd love to get down to New Guinea someday and check out that kite fishing they do there.

SnakeDoctor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I was doing some research on this and came across your thread. You ought to check this out. It's small, compact and really cheap. Talked to the guy in CA that makes them and he said they work great. The main site has a video you can watch. Anyway, I ordered one and thought I'd pass along the info. Cheers!

Streamlines Homepage

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Just got back from Mexico & a local took us out fishing. When we got to the spot, he handed us each a small spool of line with a hook and sinker. We used cut up fish for bait. We were a little skeptic but ended up catching 1/2 of a 5 gal bucket in a couple of hours

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Some coworkers and I went in on a 12 pack of fishing yoyo's. Total price from amazon was 33.40$, split 3 ways 11$ each for 4 auto reels. Not a bad price considering a single costs 5$ +. I was the one who ordered and amazon recommended buying the Speed Hook, so I ordered a 3 pack for myself and the price was a little steep 15$. I am sitting here looking at the speed hook, as seen on TV, military has them in some survival kits blah blah blah. Not really sure the speed hook is durable enough to be tossed in a b.o.b. I am questioning how to package them to keep from damaging them. Although the speed hook looks highly effective with the possibility of use during snaring small game, time will tell which is more valuable the speed hook or the whites fishing yo yo.

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    I teach boyscouts to earn there fishing merit badge and I start out my talk by casting a lure with the line wrapped around a old water bottle. it is really easy and you would be shocked how far you can cast. and if you use braided line it is easy to set the hook since there is no line stretch.
    fish

Top Bottom