• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danger Boy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Clark county
    My week+ BOB is well thought out and stocked... I Can revisit it in a month or so... Now for my next project... BOBs for the kiddos -- 3 girls 7 & 13.
    Any ideas?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. Make sure they include a small, but liked, stuffed animal or other important item. It will be their anchor to stability. But let them pick.

2. ID with full contact info in case of separation.

3. Food.

4. Change of clothes - keep it up to date.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I pack ours like I do my own. The basics for shelter warmth food and water carry. Tools such as small knives and whatever else. Rope and fire starting. Make sure they know how to use all the things. I taught my daughter who is now 18 how to use the fire starters and how to set up shelters and so forth. They are old enough to understand concepts.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    In addition to items mentioned above, I would include wool blankets and LED flashlights with extra batteries. Also a card game to help pass the time.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My daughters BOBs have changed over the years since they were around 5 or 6. (now 12 and 10).

Before they had a multitool with a blade, (10th birthday) I gave them a pair of scissors with a sharp point.

They have always had: a headlamp, a chemlight, a water bottle (nalagene), a couple Clif bars, 1st aid kit within their scope of practice/knowledge, wool cap, section of nysil, some flaggers tape, whistle, 550 cord.

More importantly, they know how to use all of that stuff, in multiple ways to ensure their survival. They get drilled on it each year, and then we learn a couple new skills, like land navigation, shooting, animal tracking and so on. Our family time often consists of going to the woods, hiking in, building a shelter and one of them getting a fire going with flint and steel.

I'd wager my girls at 10 and 12 know more about getting along in the woods than half the grown men in this country.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    My son is 5 but I put together a small setup in his little back pack that I let him play with to get more familiar. It has some band aids, food bars, water bottle, blanket(soon to be upgraded), hot wheels, story book, headlamp, hat, gloves, and socks. Also, he has a swiss army knife but he only gets that when we are outside but I am thinking of switching to a smaller multi tool I have.

I'm looking to upgrade the blanket to a better setup as well the pack to a Camelbak scout so that he can have his own hydration bladder like dads. The main thing for me is to give him stuff he can think he is ready for anything but also so that he is not weighed down since 5-10lbs is pushing a younger child and could easily be to much if you aren't careful.

chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I have a 3 year old son and he's bag really just has a few small items that he can handle carrying in his back. His mom and I carry everything for the family as far as clothes food tools weapons and so on. If something we to happen we plan on bugging in for the first 72 to 96 hours than weighing our options and how well we can bug out to our locations. I'm curious to see yours all option on my bag for my 3 year old.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I seen someone say id with contact info...what I suggest for all kids is not only a laminated card that has their name age address...mom and dads cell numbers but also numbers of family and close friends in a near by town or another state...put 2 in their BOB so you can safety pin one to the inside of their clothes in a bug out situation. I think about those little kids after Katrina that had nothing and no one knew who they were.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I seen someone say id with contact info...what I suggest for all kids is not only a laminated card that has their name age address...mom and dads cell numbers but also numbers of family and close friends in a near by town or another state...put 2 in their BOB so you can safety pin one to the inside of their clothes in a bug out situation. I think about those little kids after Katrina that had nothing and no one knew who they were.
    Look around in the front of a big box store (think walmart) some time and you will find vending machines that engrave tags for like $5. They even have military style "dog tags". I'm thinking this might be the way to go for kids ID...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN

^^^^^^^ This is great info and advice! Rep inbound! +1 :ingo:

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When packing a BOB for the kiddos I planned it like we were going camping. Bugspray, ID, Sunscreen socks clothes food and a water bottle. My pack has all the major essentials for the family, weapons, med kit, mre's etc..

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Both my boys have their own "Go Bag" as they call them. They are responsible for the content and placement and we go through them quarterly to update clothing and batteries.

Each system contains:
    Headlamp
    SS water bottle
    Fire starters
    Solar blanket
    Sleeping bag
    Thermals (winter)
    Gloves
    Hat(s)
    Chapstick
    Bug Juice
    sunscreen
    plastic bags
    Woodland camo poncho
    zip ties
    Cliff bars
    Drink mix
    Light food- Ramen/instant hot chocolate/instant mac
    Mess kit
    TP
    space saver towel
    wet wipes
    light first aid kit
    Mirror
    Knife
    whistle
    clicker
    compass
    Undies
    Socks
    topo's of our area. retreat area and rally point maps
    Cordage

Shared:
    Shovel
    Esbit Stove and fuel
    goody bag (chocolate)

Bags come to 14lbs for 10yo, 12lbs for 7yo. The bag itself is a digital camo knockoff brand with molle attachment points and pockets. Inexpensive and light. Not waterproof though, so keep trash bags handy.

Practice with the bags as much as possible. We are into scouting so we take every opportunity we can get to go practice our skills. That's the only way to get the kids ready to use the kit. I know I've seen a marked improvement over the last year in readiness with regard to the bags. It's streamlined my bag quite a bit as well. I carry a 2 man tent and the wife does as well. works out great.

Top Bottom