• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    1. Just wondering if any of you have body armor in your SHTF gear? 2. Is it even legal for a civilian in Indiana to possess body armor? Just throwing that out there to get thoughts, facts, and opinions...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up an IBA from the local army surplus for $70. Its ACU including all the soft armor. It is dated 2005. They wanted to make sure I understood that no plates were included.

I need some plates and I am gtg. It is legal, but I would not sell them personally to someone I did not know.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Body arnour

Not sure any more, used to be a place up on N. keystone that sold it many years ago. Don't know if it's still available locally. Don't think it's illegal to own, might find some at the 1500. Can't afford it so haven't looked in a while.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Legal to own in IN but I believe if you commit a crime while wearing one there are some stiff penalties involved. Don't recall where I hear/read that.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'd like to hear a LEO's opinion on this. I don't take INGO for gospel; however, I do punctuate well. Everybody has heard everything from everyone. My focus of this topic was to determine the legality of body armor, and to see if anyone, especially civilians, had armor exclusively for SHTF. I cannot think of a reason a civilian would even consider owning armor otherwise. I guess it would look cool wearing a vest while mowing the grass though.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is what I wear around...nobody even notices.

masterchief_7777.jpg

fpdcop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Madison County
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    IC 35-47-5-13​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    Unlawful use of body armor​
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet
    resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide
    protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor
    while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a
    Class D felony.​
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]As added by P.L.

Here you go!!
    [/FONT][/FONT]

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This ^. Thanks fpdcop!
    IN LAW ONLY talks about "body armor" in terms of you getting a felony if you wear it and commit a crime. Type "body armor" in here (bottom right) Indiana Constitution
    and see how that term only appears for the law stated above. Thus there is no law aganist wearing body armor. You are free to wear body armor inside your house, cut your grass, go shopping, etc! Just don't commit a crime while wearing it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    IF your food/water/shelter preps are SOLID and your other self defense plans are solid, THEN think about getting body armor. But it should not be higher on the list than those things.

Yes, I have some. Had some L3 before the fire, now have some L2 that was retired out when my GF was a state trooper. Be aware that BA should be stored properly and when worn daily degrades over time. As pointed out it is legal to own and wear unless you are committing a felony.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I include a vest in my SHTF gear. You can catch them for sale now and then, usually by LEO's who are upgrading. Like most other preps they do have a limited lifespan after which their protective value starts to degrade. Be sure to find out the age of the vest/armor you are buying and research what the manufacturer says about its lifespan.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    My wife and I each have vests purchased for $100 each from LEO friends that upgraded. My research has indicated that prolonged exposure to heat and moisture, and a few other variables can degrade the materials. Some will claim they are only good for 2 years but this is incorrect, it is likely his particular agencies policy to replace every 2 years. I've found armor for children online, but it is more of a blanket or wrap. I may get some for them if I get to the point that I feel otherwise prepared and have some extra cash. Man, I wish I could afford some new dragon skin! Oh, I also plan to purchase a few helmets next time I'm in MN. I found surplus helmets, complete for about $25 up there. They may not be the most modern or the best, but they're still better than a tinfoil hat;)

Top Bottom