• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    There are a lot of places to get armor as stated above. Just be weary, if your buying from a reputable company you're probably in good shape. However, I see a lot of people buying armor on eBay and those places. Keep in mind that used armor is used armor. It's easy for hard armor to be broken and the person not even know it. Especially all these plates coming from service people. You and I both know that these guys don't treat govt gear like they would treat the gear they paid for!

Online is the best place for someone not associated with a law enforcement agency.

There is the option of soft and hard armor. Soft being for pistol calibers and hard armor being for rifle rounds. Remember that soft armor can be easily penetrated with a sharp object without some kind of trauma plate in front or behind it. Soft armor also needs to be sized correctly but it's not hard to get yourself measured for one.

I hate Galls but they have a pretty extensive collection of armor on their website. It will give you a good idea about prices.

All Products Gear & Equipment Body Armor - Galls

Thank you both!! Would it be more smart for me to wait until im law enforcement? I have about a year until i graduate. Im just looking at my LBG and what i want to get and what type of setup i want

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've considered the eBay Chinese vests

I wouldn't advise it.

Body armor is one of those things that you might go your whole life & not ever "need" but if by chance you ever do actually "need" it ... you will definitely want it to work.

Yes good body armor is expensive, but due to the serious nature of it's purpose it is not something I would recommend attempting to cut costs on.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As I recall, kevlar needs to be kept as dry as possible and not exposed to UV light. This shouldn't be too much of an issue if the kevlar is in a proper carrier. Ceramic plates should be stored upright and checked for cracks. Our aviation body armor used the same ESAPI plates as the infantry body armor. If they get dropped, the only way you can tell if they're still usable is to have them x-rayed. You can generally find these plates from OEM sellers online for @ $175 a piece.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I work with the material now....but while I was on active duty those vests get soaked almost daily and they were by NO MEANS new, but they were still effective....and we use the material in all sorts of conditions where I work.....so I wouldn't put too much faith in the "hear say"

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have given some thought to picking up a cheap one to wear at the range. I am confident in my skill level, but not in the skill level of strangers and it would be an extra layer of protection just in case. Otherwise it would be impractical to wear, as I am a fat man and my coolant always runs hot. This guy doesn't need anything else to trap the heat in.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I checked out the Galls website and I am still wondering do they ship to non LE?

Online is the best place for someone not associated with a law enforcement agency.

There is the option of soft and hard armor. Soft being for pistol calibers and hard armor being for rifle rounds. Remember that soft armor can be easily penetrated with a sharp object without some kind of trauma plate in front or behind it. Soft armor also needs to be sized correctly but it's not hard to get yourself measured for one.

I hate Galls but they have a pretty extensive collection of armor on their website. It will give you a good idea about prices.

All Products Gear & Equipment Body Armor - Galls

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I work with the material now....but while I was on active duty those vests get soaked almost daily and they were by NO MEANS new, but they were still effective....and we use the material in all sorts of conditions where I work.....so I wouldn't put too much faith in the "hear say"

Absolutely. I was avoiding looking up care instructions, but since it's come up: excerpts from TM 1-1680-377-13&P DEC 2009

Air Warrior Body Armor, Equipment Characteristics and Features: WARNING: Do not soak soft ballistic inserts or use bleach or starch. When wet, untreated aramid cloth could lose up to 40% of its ballistic capability thereby decreasing its protective quality and endangering the safety of the wearer.

TABLE 1 Operator Preventive Maintenance Checks and Procedures : WARNING: If the Ballistic Upgrade Plates are suspected or known to have been damaged sufficiently to cause cracking, i.e., a drop of 48-inches or more onto a hard surface, or a force of 40 ft. lbs. or more, they shall be X-rayed (WP 0524 00) and inspected for damage at AVIM.

WARNING: Do not store or dry Body Armor Assembly in direct sunlight. Continuous exposure to ultraviolet rays will seriously deteriorate the armor

And, if anyone needs it, a final CAUTION:
    In the case where the armor was fully or partially penetrated by a ballistic round or fragment, no repair is authorized to the soft ballistic inserts. Damaged soft ballistic inserts shall be discarded.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    If you are wearing it in Indiana you should be fine but I believe some states have laws that non LE cant wear vests. Be careful

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I believe in Indiana, if you're wearing a vest and committing a crime at the same time, it ups the severity of the crime, like from misdemeanor to felony or something.

Someone here ought to know the details, not that anyone should be considering a criminal career :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom