• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Just was reading about bobcat steel (which is awesome) and was wondering about body armor. Who here wears some regularly and what brand ect.. do you recommend? Also for the LEOs does the department buy your armor or is it up to you and do you have standard you are required to meet if purchasing your own?

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I wear ESAPI plates in an old school IBA with the soft armor, right now it has the groin protector too lol. Not necessarily what I would recommend tho. Plates are fine but the carrier is hot and heavy. I would recommend just get a smaller plate carrier like Ronin Assaulter Lite (AL) - RONIN TACTICS or a Crye, if I had the coin.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Department buys it for us every so many years. We get Level II with the option to upgrade to III-A if we pay for the difference. We got new a year or two ago and it was Armor Express.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I don't wear it as regularly as I used to but I still put it on sometimes. (Wore some for a photo op/cornhole game this week. Yes, beer was involved...)

The thing about body armor is you have to decide what you're going to be using it for and buy accordingly. There's no "one" body armor that's good for everything. You can buy LE style Level-II soft armor and it will be fine for wearing under a shirt and protecting you from pistol rounds. Or, you can buy an IOTV with E-SAPIs and you'll be good for direct hits from rifles though you won't be wearing that under a shirt.

The steel plates go best in a light and fast carrier that's just a plate carrier. They're more for "so you don't die" than anything. Chances are good you're still going to get knocked on your butt, unconscious and shrapnel wounds but you won't take a round through your center mass and that's preferred. Is it worth a couple hundred bucks and a weight penalty of 10 lbs? Maybe. Depends on your mission.

I like a nice small soft armor for tooling around. I like big heavy battle armor for static defense or vehicle ops. I like a PASGT flak vest for general purposes/patrolling. Your mileage may vary.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have worn level II, IIIa, and III and avoid wearing it at all costs no matter what you get you will be unbelievably uncomfortable and if you are a cheapskate like me it will kill you because you will constantly be buying undershirts. My personal hard armor is ar500 armor steel plates in a condor mopc. I have beat the heck out of the condor vest and it is still holding up. Cant remember who made my fitted soft armor but i hate it and think the guy measured me wrong.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Departments typically issue soft body armor to all full time road level officers. This armor is replaced every five years typically. This is because Kevlar Body armor is typically given an expiration date at 5 years from the date on manufacture. I currently have Second Chance I believe. Our department currently issues level IIIA.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Check out AR500 Armor. Not the lightest, or probably the absolute best, but very affordable, and will get the job done. (Loads of videos on youtube of different rounds failing to penetrate.)

For basic civilian SHTF, it's worth checking out.

AR500 Armor Body Armor

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    As said before, most departments issue soft body armor. A lot even to their reserves. Reserves sometimes have to get their own. Soft armor "expires" but it is still good. Especially if well taken care of. Things like getting it wet, as well as letting it bunch up are all bad. Storing Kevlar as worn is a no no, lay it flat. If you are a cheap bastard, steel plates are the way to go, it's worth the extra for ceramic plates. The market exploded with options and there are so many good options out there. With ceramic plates you hang to make sure they aren't broken, and aren't thrown. They will break. Also buy/use sapi plates at your own risk, they are usually abused and can be broken as well as they are always the property of the U.S. Government. Do as you see fit. wearing just a plate carrier and sapi plates, no side plates even, sucks. Bad. Otvs are horrendous, iotvs are slightly better. 10lbs doesn't sound that much, but when you are wearing it, and 3-6 magazines as well as carrying a rifle is heavy hell.

colts1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kokomo
    I run ar500 with the double thick paxcon coating in a pig plate carrier. Steel is heavier but if you spend the money on a well built plate carrier it helps a lot with distributing the weight of your plates.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Infidel Body Armor, Bulletproof Vests & Plates for Sale in Texas , Tactical Body Armor, Bullet Proof Vests, AR500 Steel and ESAPI Plates

I got mine at the above website. I wear it when I take my walks more because it builds up muscle faster than just walking. As someone who isn't likely to see combat nor am I a LEO I got it more for insurance should things get bad in the world and this country so I don't die as fast. See I am not able to run for the hills with my health issues but if things just get more dangerous rather than go away I will still be able to go and get my meds and not get killed. I know full well that I am not someone who can prep too much as the meds I need are a bit perishable so I hope it just gets dangerous to do what you need rather than a big collapse though even then I may still be able to trade for what I need from whatever remans of the government or whatever emerges. Otherwise, my house should yield much of what people who are more able to take care of things so perhaps I am just doind it for them. See, as a Christian I know both where I will wind up and that God will provide what I need to do what He wants of me. :)

OK, I bought steel LVL 4 plates and use a carrier I know fits me which most of the small TACTICAL type vest do not. :(

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    When you say that soft armor expires what does that mean. Does something in the Kevlar go bad or what? And 5 years is not that long of a period is it still good as long as you take care of it?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Second Chance armor here for every night wear. As a 3rd shift worker we are allowed to wear ours in a MOLLE outer carrier. The only way to wear body armor IMO. Much cooler and comfortable. Armor is replaced every four years (not five) as per our policy. Ours is provided by the agency free of charge.

Back about five years ago new legislation was passed mandating that agency's provide armor at no charge to the officer. Up until that point there were many smaller departments that did not provide armor. Officers were left buying them their self.

For everyday wear it is best to not scrimp on quality (cost). Back a few years ago a local Indy armor supplier was pushing a certain brand of armor. My agency fell for it. Even after being correctly fitted there were only a few guys that would wear the stuff because the carriers were of such poor design. They were so bad that instead of four years we replaced them at under two. Don't scrimp on armor that will be worn daily or you will be hating life.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    When you say that soft armor expires what does that mean. Does something in the Kevlar go bad or what? And 5 years is not that long of a period is it still good as long as you take care of it?

The warranty expires in five years. Chances are that the armor is just fine. We tested some that was 20 years old and it did just fine by stopping everything it was designed to stop. That included a 3" 12 ga. 1 oz. slug at point blank range. As others have said armor has to be taken care of. It needs to lie flat when not in use, not be left in a hot car for prolonged periods and allowed to be promptly air dried when wet.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    You can also check ebay for Military lvl 4 plates, you have many soldiers and marines who dont manage thier money properly.......... Make sure they say US on the back of the plates. There are knock offs on ebay and avoid anything not involving pay pal. you can get a carrier at the Army Navy store, dont buy online, one size does not fit all, you need to try them on in person.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    You can also check ebay for Military lvl 4 plates, you have many soldiers and marines who dont manage thier money properly.......... Make sure they say US on the back of the plates. There are knock offs on ebay and avoid anything not involving pay pal. you can get a carrier at the Army Navy store, dont buy online, one size does not fit all, you need to try them on in person.
    I hear they have military issued Eotech's and ACOG's too...if you like buying stolen government property so much.

You are recieving stolen property if you buy the military plates. They are property of the united states government.
    This.

Tp222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Laporte
    Be wary if the ar 500 plates, was informed by a fellow Le brother that in trials in indy the 500 plates allowed penetration of .556 fmj rounds from 15yds and in, use at your own description but I don't know if I can gamble on rhe fact that I might get shot inside of 15yds or not. Check out armour express. My department makes us as reserves provide all equipment down to carry ammo and boot laces .

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have shot ar500 armor brand plates with xm193 and m855 ball and had no penetration and i was probably only 7 yards away. Its what i have in my vest and i completely trust it.

Top Bottom