• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a First Spear Siege carrier with some kind of soft pistol rated full wrap. I'm not sure of the brand.

I have UHMWPE plates front and rear. I moved the ViSM plate to the back and ordered a AR500 brand UHMWPE for the front. The AR500 is NiJ rated level III, the NcStar is not NiJ rated but they call it III.

code: twangnbang gets you a discount off this plate:
    https://www.ar500armor.com/polyethylene-level-iii-armor-10-x-12.html

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    https://vimeo.com/265019912 Suarez demonstrating 3A kevlar armor vs 12G buckshot and slug.

Consensus in the class was that the trauma to the body would be like hitting the steering wheel in a car crash.

Seems that soft armor is only practical for protection against pistol rounds and for SHTF, rifle rated plate is the only thing worth getting.

I wasn't aware how devastating the blunt force trauma could be and found this eye opening

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think a shield like this makes some sense to have around for a grab and go home situation, so long as you can shoot one-handed and have a light on your gun:

https://hardcoredefense.com/products/alpha-shield?variant=3387599355928

More coverage than a vest and quicker to deploy.

Demolitia Ranch did a review on something like this recently. I think these need to be deployed to every classroom in the country asap. How could a lefty gun grabber complain about a purely defensive deterrent. One or more shielded school staff rushing a shooter would end things imo.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Demolitia Ranch did a review on something like this recently. I think these need to be deployed to every classroom in the country asap. How could a lefty gun grabber complain about a purely defensive deterrent. One or more shielded school staff rushing a shooter would end things imo.

school shooting, for political gain, have nothing to do with protection/safety of the students or staff. it is merely a good event to use to further push for firearm restrictions.

does anyone have experienxe with that shield or others like it?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think a shield like this makes some sense to have around for a grab and go home situation, so long as you can shoot one-handed and have a light on your gun:

https://hardcoredefense.com/products/alpha-shield?variant=3387599355928

More coverage than a vest and quicker to deploy.
    Why, only rated for pistol, and probably weighs 50lbs. For less money, you could have ceramic Level IV plates that weigh 8lbs. and are rifle rated, and you still have both hands free for, I don’t know, lights for PTID, and firearms?

my bad, 14 lbs for the small one, and 22lbs for the big one, but either still has you operating one handed?

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Yeah but Shields are pretty nice if you're clearing stairs, fighting someone that doesn't have a rifle, among other things, but there is a definite learning curve there.

I have ceramic plates and run a very low-vis set up. I don't have any mag carriers on my plate carrier. I just keep the chest rig with the rifle. I can conceal my body armor under a hoodie. I guess it depends on how you're going to be using it.

*edit* I wouldn't spend the money on a shield unless it has the window. The shield in the link is basically a heavy version of personal body armor. I now agree with the guy above me. Put that money towards better equipment.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The AR500 (brand) UHMWPE plates are on sale for a couple of weeks. I just called to get my backorder status and noticed the price drop. They are sending a partial refund my way. :rockwoot:

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-ar...mor/polyethylene-level-iii-armor-10-x-12.html
    Unfortunately, AR500 is NOTORIUS for long lead times, and no delivery. I still have an open order for $1300 of IIIA Carbon Nanotube soft armor. They still have the $$’s and don’t even offer that armor any longer. I am working with my rep towards a resolution, but if it ain’t in stock, I’d recommend buying elsewhere. AR500 will make my situation right, eventually.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Why, only rated for pistol, and probably weighs 50lbs. For less money, you could have ceramic Level IV plates that weigh 8lbs. and are rifle rated, and you still have both hands free for, I don’t know, lights for PTID, and firearms?

my bad, 14 lbs for the small one, and 22lbs for the big one, but either still has you operating one handed?

Right on point, anyone that has carried one of these one handed while trying to hold a handgun will tell you its very taxing (hold 50lbs out in front of you while shooting your gun as an example).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I only mentioned putting a ballistic shield into a school as a gateway to getting teachers armed. Even if a teacher was uncomfortable being armed maybe they'd agree to shielding themselves. Right now, we have a bunch of sissy's on the left & right that won't push anything other than disarming law abiding citizens. What would a UHMWPE shield weigh? The plates are only ~3.5 lbs.

BTW - AR500 refunded the sale price difference to my account today. Hopefully only one more week of back-order & I'll have my UHMWPE plate.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I only mentioned putting a ballistic shield into a school as a gateway to getting teachers armed. Even if a teacher was uncomfortable being armed maybe they'd agree to shielding themselves. Right now, we have a bunch of sissy's on the left & right that won't push anything other than disarming law abiding citizens. What would a UHMWPE shield weigh? The plates are only ~3.5 lbs.

BTW - AR500 refunded the sale price difference to my account today. Hopefully only one more week of back-order & I'll have my UHMWPE plate.
    The problem with sissy’s is actually lifting the shield!

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Be advised that level III may not defeat all 5.56 loads! Speed makes the difference.

Check out Patriot Armor. They have level III+ that will defeat the 55 grain 5.56 (M193), that most level III AR500 will not defeat. That is right, most level IIIwill not defeat the high speed 55 grain 5.56 rounds like Independence ammo.

I think even the III+ can be defeated out out of a 20" barrel.

This was an eye opener for me, since the M193 is fairly common, and it can defeat most rifle rated plates.

Just know what you are getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7NvKzzWFE

There are other dealers of higher than level III. I have been pleased with them and they have sales often. I think the carriers they had when I bought mine stunk. I bout the cheap Condor basic carrier, and I got a Testudo from AR500. I looked at the carrier from AWS as it was what I was going to go with before a killer black Friday deal at ar500.

Last edited:

tactrav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    Fishers
    I recommend starting with soft armor, then front and back ceramic plates, then sides plates (if you want them). This way you can build your protection over time as your budget allows. Soft armor will stop most pistol rounds and shrapnel, while you need hard plates to stop rifle rounds. Ideally you can get a plate carrier with a soft armor lining already in it and then add plates from there. I concur with the above, this probably isn't something you want to skimp on. Also, make sure you read what each piece of armor is rated for before purchase, ideally your hard plates can at least stop 7.62x39. Hope this helps.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Personally, living in the United States today, I see no reason to invest in any armor that cannot defeat repeated hits of XM193 or M855 out of a 20" barrel at close range. Those are the most common loads for the most common semiauto rifle in the country. You can buy an AR for $400 and you can buy Federal XM193 at Walmart. I think it's practically negligence to be selling these Level III steel plates without a big warning label that says "If you are shot by the most common load for the most common rifle in the country, it will blow right through our product and kill you".

Buy once, cry one. Which, coincidentally is why I haven't invested in body armor. If I gotta pony up for armor, I gotta get the good stuff, and if I'm gonna spend that much, I gotta get the good and light stuff, and if I'm gonna spend that much, I gotta get a good carrier to put it in...that $1000 mark comes fast. On the subject of weight, watch some guys spend a whole day out in the sun running stages with four steel plates strapped to their torso and then tell yourself you don't need to buy the lighter plates. Armor sucks; the amount of money you spend determines the severity of the suck.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I think it's practically negligence to be selling these Level III steel plates without a big warning label that says "If you are shot by the most common load for the most common rifle in the country, it will blow right through our product and kill you".

I agree 100%

I put it up there with the 30 day emergency food supplies that budget 700-1200 calories a day. It is not cool.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Be advised that level III may not defeat all 5.56 loads! Speed makes the difference.

Check out Patriot Armor. They have level III+ that will defeat the 55 grain 5.56 (M193), that most level III AR500 will not defeat. That is right, most level IIIwill not defeat the high speed 55 grain 5.56 rounds like Independence ammo.

I think even the III+ can be defeated out out of a 20" barrel.

This was an eye opener for me, since the M193 is fairly common, and it can defeat most rifle rated plates.

Just know what you are getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7NvKzzWFE

There are other dealers of higher than level III. I have been pleased with them and they have sales often. I think the carriers they had when I bought mine stunk. I bout the cheap Condor basic carrier, and I got a Testudo from AR500. I looked at the carrier from AWS as it was what I was going to go with before a killer black Friday deal at ar500.

This is another good reason to wear soft armor under standalone plates. In addition to additional cushion against the "blunt force trauma," soft armor will probably stop a rifle projectile that has lost significant velocity penetrating the plate.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The 1st rule of not getting shot is not being there in the 1st place. Mobility was one of my concerns. I probably won't be exposed, stationary & guarding some post. Targets like that get picked off from long ranges + it's not that hard to make head shots at 400+ yards.

I'm aware of UHMWPE capabilities and most tests I saw showed it failing at close range with M855 but stopping M193. Like Rhino says, at least mine's on top of soft armor. I still don't want to get shot at regardless but I'll be better off than most with this gear.

Top Bottom