• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Went to the range yesterday and shot 30 rounds of new S&B FMJ ammo. Had 5 failure to fires after the triggerpull, and had one round stovepipe *before* it was fired (it stovepiped when loading and the bullet itself was stickup up in the air -- last round of the mag).

Friendly fellow at Indy Trading Post told me this is a problem with Bodyguards especially with european ammo. We took the rounds back out to the range with his Ruger LCP and of course there were no problems.

I also fired 50 rounds of S&B FMJ through my M&P 9mm with no problems. Same brand ammo, same brand gun, but different caliber and gun obviously. But it worked flawlessly (I've never had a misfeed or failure with my M&P 9 through 700 rounds.

I emailed S&W about it yesterday but I just had to gripe about it, and maybe see if others had experienced similar issues with european ammo and the Bodyguard. :xmad:

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    Sorry to hear it - there were the teething problems with the Bodyguard .380s that were discussed over at Big Blue, but the ones I've seen here on the street in friends' hands recently have all worked fine.

My LCP (also past the teething problems) has been a treat - I feel very pleased that it's worked so well for me.

Anyhow, here's hoping that S&W customer service resolves the problem quickly and completely for you.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Mine (and another I had but sold to a friend) have worked without problem with all the ammo I've tried in them, but I haven't tried S&B. WWB, PMC, and all the usual SD hollow point loads have been ok, though.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Mine fed pretty good. I had a very occasional issue. My problem was the way it shot and the accuracy. I sold it and went to Sig P238 and it has been perfect. Accuracy is much better too.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Annoying thing is that I was very accurate (at least at the 7 yard distance) without the laser. For whatever reason I was more accurate with it yesterday than with my full size M&P 9, which is not usually the case but I was really nailing it with the 380. Probably I was so frustrated with the feed that I forgot to do whatever it is I'm normally doing wrong - LOL

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    My buddy's 380 Bodyguard hasn't had a malfunction yet and he was putting all kinds of defensive ammo into it and he's pretty accurate with it up to 50 feet apparently

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Here is my take:

1) Everyone knows that S&B has hard primers that cause FTF on some pistols, so the ammo is obviously not compatible with your .380, and this doesn't seem like a big deal.

2) Stovepipe is more concerning, but again it may just be the shape of the bullet being incompatible. This can be a problem in any gun, which is why we test ammo, but I admit that it is unusual for a round nose FMJ to have problems. Maybe the size f these bullets are larger than supported.

S&W has a lifetime warranty, so if there is a problem, you are covered. I would think the feed ramp probably needs polished. This seems to be the most common remedy for feeding and stovepipe issues, and it is a simple one that does not require sending your gun in necessarily.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yahzMTOO34[/ame]

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I feel your pain, imagine having to trust your life on your bodyguard. My bodyguards are Glocks (27/23), never a failure .............yet?!?:dunno:

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I use Hornady critical defense in mine.
    Works great.
    I've used S&B, worked ok.
    I tried using some PPU in it and it didn't care for it.
    PPU seems hotter, works great in my cheap IO Hellcat.

Top Bottom