• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    After looking at the layout of the San Fran airport, where the tail of the triple 7 struck first, and where the aircraft stopped skidding, there is more to this than meets the eye.

I would not be surprised to find the pilot who at first appeared to have landed short worked a miracle by making the runway at all.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What I think I saw on TV showed the fuselage upright but setting on the ground. The wings looked as if they were upside down. Usually the wing tips are flipped up not down.

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville
    What I think I saw on TV showed the fuselage upright but setting on the ground. The wings looked as if they were upside down. Usually the wing tips are flipped up not down.

The wings are not upside down. The picture of the right wing appears to droop because it is broken. The slats can clearly be seen as deployed and in the correct configuration. The wings of the plane are attached to the fuselage.

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville
    After looking at the layout of the San Fran airport, where the tail of the triple 7 struck first, and where the aircraft stopped skidding, there is more to this than meets the eye.

I would not be surprised to find the pilot who at first appeared to have landed short worked a miracle by making the runway at all.

I will not speculate on the cause prior to the tail striking the sea wall, but after that event there is little the pilot could have done. It is all inertia and physics at that point of the landing with no tail attached.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I will not speculate on the cause prior to the tail striking the sea wall, but after that event there is little the pilot could have done. It is all inertia and physics at that point of the landing with no tail attached.

Agree, but he had to get it there first.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I watched the coverage of this for a while and it only went on to confirm my opinion that I've had for nearly 20 years. The general public, especially the media, are completely clueless and go into idiot mode when it comes to discussing anything related to the physics of flight, aviation terminology, and navigating in/around an airport.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    CNN video shows actual approach and crash of the airliner. (Airliner approaching from the right)

[video=youtube_share;-9tmljF1tH0]http://youtu.be/-9tmljF1tH0[/video]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom