• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I have a hankering to pick up an automatic knife and from what I've seen, the Bokers are about the only thing that falls in my budget.

Are the Boker automatics decent knives? Looks like they have AUS-8 steel which I think has a good reputation. I've never had an AUS-8 blade - I hope it's better than 440 which I don't care for.

Are they reasonably well built? I've seen some Boker's that looked like cheap Chinese shinola and I also had a really nice copperhead with German carbon blades and jigged bone scales that was a really nice knife. I'm sure the Boker automatic knives won't be German quality, but I would be disappointed if they were junk.

Anyone know any place around Indy and east where I could get a look at one first hand?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    they're ok, I have two, one is black with a high polish dagger style blade, one is a blue handle with a black dagger blade, but if it were me, I'd add a little cash to my budget (or wait till I have more money) and buy a Kershaw launch, I think you can pick up a boker ak for about 50-60 bucks, or you can double that, and get a launch 2 for 80-110.00 (depending on blade/handle color combination), I paid 90 bucks for a od green handle with a satin blade launch 2(Christmas present for my dad) and 110.00 for a blue handle/stone wash blade launch 2(Christmas present for me)

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have a hankering to pick up an automatic knife and from what I've seen, the Bokers are about the only thing that falls in my budget.

Are the Boker automatics decent knives? Looks like they have AUS-8 steel which I think has a good reputation. I've never had an AUS-8 blade - I hope it's better than 440 which I don't care for.

Are they reasonably well built? I've seen some Boker's that looked like cheap Chinese shinola and I also had a really nice copperhead with German carbon blades and jigged bone scales that was a really nice knife. I'm sure the Boker automatic knives won't be German quality, but I would be disappointed if they were junk.

Anyone know any place around Indy and east where I could get a look at one first hand?

AUS-8 and 440 are pretty closely matched steels, so if you're not a fanf of 440 I'd recommend steering clear of AUS-8.

My advice would be to save for a Microtech if your heart is set on an Automatic. They're the best in the business for autos.

Here are a couple of bar graphs illustrating some popular knife steel attributes.

steels3.png

KnifeSteelChart.jpg

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Great charts! Thank you! I wish it showed some comparisons with 1095 or A2 because I'm most familiar with those alloys.

I don't care if I have $1,000,000 in my pocket, I don't think I could ever justify spending $100 on a pocket knife.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    One thing you need to realize about the Boker AK74 auto knives. They are not coming from the Boker Taiwan factory in the automatic mode. They are being converted to auto aftermarket, thus there is no warranty on them from Boker. For the price point (around $40.00) though, they are a decent knife. I'm not sure what price you are expecting to pay for a knife with better steel than AUS 8 or even 440C, but you will have to up your budget to do so. :twocents:

Note: Don't confuse 440C with 440A or 440B, 440C with the right heat treat is a very good steel. 440A and 440B suck, and shouldn't even be used for a knife blade IMHO.

Last edited:

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    I would recommend speaking with Brad as well. Either on here, phone, or at the 1500. He carries an assortment of knives and is always helpful. He can speak to what you are getting for your money. I don't own any autos, but it seems that the Kershaw Launch series is the standard recommendation for a budget auto. Better steel and overall better bang for your buck.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Great charts! Thank you! I wish it showed some comparisons with 1095 or A2 because I'm most familiar with those alloys.

I don't care if I have $1,000,000 in my pocket, I don't think I could ever justify spending $100 on a pocket knife.

Z Knives has a great interactive steel comparison chart loaded with specs and information:

Interactive Knife Steel Composition Chart Version 4.61

Spyderco Knives has an awesome "edge-u-cation" section where they explain a lot about the different alloys and qualities/properties each element imparts to an alloy. https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=3

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I only get to the 1500 every two or three years. It may be a while before I go there again. I may make it to the Greenfield show this weekend. Closer to home - $5 entry - free parking - I don't have to go into the city.

I found the Colonial Knife Co. Rescue knife - 1095 steel, which I really like, and made in the USA. $43 +shipping. This knife might make sense because one of my justifications for buying an automatic is that I should have a knife in my fire dept. turnout gear. The automatic would be easier to open with gloves on. Still, I hate to buy something without handling it first.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I only get to the 1500 every two or three years. It may be a while before I go there again. I may make it to the Greenfield show this weekend. Closer to home - $5 entry - free parking - I don't have to go into the city.

I found the Colonial Knife Co. Rescue knife - 1095 steel, which I really like, and made in the USA. $43 +shipping. This knife might make sense because one of my justifications for buying an automatic is that I should have a knife in my fire dept. turnout gear. The automatic would be easier to open with gloves on. Still, I hate to buy something without handling it first.

You will definitely want to handle one before buying because one of your objectives is being able to open it with gloves on. There are a lot of automatic knives that will be difficult to open with gloves on simply because of button location, and the fact that buttons can be recessed down into the handle to prevent accidental firing, which makes it difficult to fire with gloves on.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I have carried one for the last 4 years or so. It has served me well. I am no knife expert but it has done everything I've asked it to. Clean it every once in a while and it opens fast and smooth. Mine is one of the older ones that still have the lock on the back. I'm pretty sure mine is discontinued.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I bought and have daily carried an AK Bomer for over a year. I'm not nice to using knives and this one has performed fine for me. Nothing special, but it keeps a decent edge and sharpens easily. I mostly use it to cut fiberglass insulation off of pipe and opening boxes and plastic bags. It does a fine job for me. The aluminum scales are a bit bulky and have lost
    much of the tan finish, but it continues to open as it should and locks up fairly tight. No, it's not a perfect, custom knife but for $50, it's handled much use and some
    abuse and has come out just fine.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I bought just because. It's not bad. I use it in the warehouse so if I lose it or break it, oh well.

Not bad for the money

My boker ak74 was stolen. Not the best, but I don't regret buying it. Great auto knife at the price point!

Top Bottom