• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    This just happened near where I live.... these thugs are getting bold and stupid.

MISHAWAKA — Four suspects were arrested Thursday night for their role in a home invasion in the 900 block of Merrifield Avenue in Mishawaka. Police say the victim was sitting on the couch when one of the suspects broke down the door.
    http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/39538847.html

Thursday night after dinner, Patti Heare was parked on the couch, watching her favorite TV show before joining her husband, who was already in bed, fast asleep.
    "I was watching Ugly Betty and I heard the door jiggle," Heare said. "I thought it was one of my children."
    Instead, bold, brazen thieves were lurking outside her home. Their eyes were on the 50-inch plasma television, visible from the window.
    "The next thing, it just exploded," she said, describing the impact as one of the men burst in.
    Inside the home, muddy footprints were all over the cream carpet, showing the path the burglar made on his way to the flat-screen.
    "Then he ran over to the TV and grabbed it," Heare said. "[He] pulled it off the shelf."
    Patti sat stunned. She screamed for her husband, Mike, who woke up and went after the burglar.
    "Mike ran out there and grabbed the kid through the window [of their car]," Heare said. "The two kids in the backseat said, 'Go, go, go!'"
    The Geo Tracker they were riding in accelerated on Merrifield Avenue. Heare's husband hung on.
    "I'm glad they didn't have a gun and shot my husband," she said.
    Mike eventually let go. He suffered bruises and scrapes. Heare said he possibly broke the bones in one of his fingers.
    Just before Mike let go, he pulled off the rain guard on the car, which was later used as evidence to help build the case.
    The suspects continued driving near Fifth Street.
    Eyewitnesses recounted what happened nearly two miles away from the Heares' home.
    "It was dark," said Ron Kinch. "The next thing I know, it was a whole lot of police cars down here."
    Witnesses tell WSBT News the four men abandoned the Geo Tracker at the intersection of Fifth and Center streets.
    Police believe the suspects got out of their car and scattered all over the neighborhood. South Bend's K-9 units were called in to find the men.
    Mishawaka police arrested:
    24-year-old Edward Sharick
    35-year-old Robert Wilson
    19-year-old Ronald Fisher
    A 17-year-old juvenile, whose name WSBT News cannot release
    Heare said officers told her that the suspects are all somehow related.
    "When somebody is home, the lights on, the TV on, when they break in your house, you don't feel safe anymore," Heare said.
    She points to bent nails and a damaged door frame — items that won't allow her to forget her fears.
    "I had the deadbolt on," she said. "I can't believe they could smash right through."
    St. Joseph County prosecutors are currently viewing the case.
    Charges aren't expected to be filed until Saturday, February 14.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Shotguns are wonder tools when working on burglars and their vehicles. I'm just glad the people are ok and that all the suspects have been caught.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    My Sons car was entered while setting in our driveway a couple of weeks back with several items removed. In talking to the deputy while he was completing the report, I asked him a few questions. He informed me that home invasions were seeing a dramatic rise for the following reason.
    Bad guys knock on your door, your'e not home, they come in but don't know where the good stuff is hidden, therefore the take is small. Lap tops, flat screens etc. Just in and out quick.
    When they bust down your door while your home, you want them out and FAST! You offer your wallet, cash, camera, guns, mother in law whatever to get them out.
    The key here is to be prepared, do you have a flashlight in the drawer in case of need? Extra rolls of toilet paper in the closet, of course you do.
    People, times have changed, Mayberry just ain''t what it used to be.
    We have to change with it. I keep the riot gun under the couch by the t.v.
    I have a kel tec sitting in the drawer of the kitchen (next to flashlight) and the long gun behind the headboard (next to the 45).
    If a few of these guys get blasted on the way in this type of crime will slow down.
    This type of crime is like taxes, if we don't attempt to curb it, it only increases.
    Come to think of it, they both have a lot in common.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Good thing no one was seriously hurt. Some people on this board would have had a body count of +4.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The story in my house would have ended with:

fpsdoug1ei.gif

BOOM, HEADSHOT!

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i wonder how long until charges get filed against the homeowner.

come on, people. these poor, disenfranchised gentlemen were just trying to survive! the evil people with the expensive TV in their locked home are the true criminals!

Top Bottom