• ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm heading out to pick up my new CZ 455 Varmint in a couple hours. :D

ETA: The CZ is a little over $200, but I plan on keeping it for awhile. I also thought pretty hard about getting a Savage MkII BV.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm heading out to pick up my new CZ 455 Varmint in a couple hours. :D

ETA: The CZ is a little over $200, but I plan on keeping it for awhile. I also thought pretty hard about getting a Savage MkII BV.

I've moved up in price range over the years. :dunno: My first rifle was a Stevens single shot that a friend of my Dad's gave me. Killed a barrel of squirrels and a few rabbits with it and .22 shorts. I was happy to hit a penny at 25 yds with the shorts and never spent any time seeking more accuracy from the gun. It probably would have done better if I had been more knowledgeable.
    .22's have morphed into a disease for me. ;) I've owned nearly 50 rimfires over the last 20 yrs. :nuts: :eek: My last three bolt action .22's have all been $800 or better. I've owned 5 different CZ's and still own 3 of them. I've got a 10/22 that has over 1000 dollars in it. :ugh: Shoots as good as my Savage/Anschutz 54 sporter. If a squirrel is looking at me at 40 yds and I can find a good rest, I can shoot him square in the nose. That Savage or Marlin is simply a gateway drug into the true addiction that is Rimfire. And I haven't even started with the Bench Rest Disease that some of my compatriots have contracted.:n00b::runaway:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hahaha, I have bench rest disease I think. I love shooting for accuracy and fun. Not much of a hunter myself in that I wouldn't know what to do with a squirrel or rabbit after shooting it short of getting rid of it.

I've taken the hunter safety courses and know how to field strip them and such, but have no interest in doing so.

That isn't to say I wouldn't go hunting with somebody and allow them to have whatever it is that i shoot - so long as it goes to good use :).

Oh, well, I have shot a few groundhogs ... Digging under the foundation of my house - those *@#%(@*#$s.

I have been looking for a higher-end .22 LR Bolt-action that is well made. Just about every rifle I've looked into, even the $800+ ones, tend to have minor issues that I find even in the lower end models. I'll be happy to spend $1200+ on a .22 LR bolt-action that is made well, but I will need to find one first. Most of the shops I've looked at in the last few days only carry a few .22 LR and even fewer that are bolt-action. I have yet to find one in a shop that is over $400 or so.

I'd hate to order a rifle without being able to handle/inspect it first.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Maybe I will make a new thread, how about - "Recommend best high-end rimfire bolt action rifle"? :)

Or how about "Recommend best high-end centerfire bolt action rifle"? :)

Wonder how many '50 cal for sure' would get posted?

Purple as required.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I hope you grow to love your Marlin. I sure do love my Marlin rimfire bolt guns. I have 3, a 983T in 22mag, a 981T in 22lr, and a Remington rebranded Marlin 514Y for my 5yr old.
    My 981T (pretty much the same as the one you bought) is tremendously accurate. Nearly as accurate and consistent as my $1k 10/22 for 1/5th the coin.
    ilkex0.jpg

3585oqr.jpg

2hhzmmu.jpg

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You need to take your new bolt gun to the nearest Appleseed event!

I took my Savage MKII BRJ (I think that is the model with the fluted barrel and laminated stock) and it shot like a champ (made me look good!)

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You need to take your new bolt gun to the nearest Appleseed event!

I took my Savage MKII BRJ (I think that is the model with the fluted barrel and laminated stock) and it shot like a champ (made me look good!)

How difficult was it to do Appleseed with a bolt gun? I've heard they generally recommend a semi.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    Hey guys!

I'm looking to get a 22 LR bolt-action rifle. I have been looking at the Ruger 77/22 which looks nice but is quite expensive. I also don't know anything about their "rotary magazine" as far as how well it works, and whether it's reliable or not.

On the cheaper end I see Savage Arms Mark II has a .22 LR Bolt-Action at the ~$200 mark.

Anybody have a 22 LR Rifle that is Bolt-Action that they love/would recommend?
    Mike I have a Savage MKII BV and love it. I did work on the trigger to lighten it some but my rifle will shoot less then one inch groups at 100 yards. I found CCI standard velosity to be the most accurate in it followed closely by CCI 40 grain mini mags. Ely target and sport also work about as well as CCI but the cost is more, and the Standard CCI 40 grain work just as well.
    Bill...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I hope you grow to love your Marlin. I sure do love my Marlin rimfire bolt guns. I have 3, a 983T in 22mag, a 981T in 22lr, and a Remington rebranded Marlin 514Y for my 5yr old.
    My 981T (pretty much the same as the one you bought) is tremendously accurate. Nearly as accurate and consistent as my $1k 10/22 for 1/5th the coin.
    ilkex0.jpg

3585oqr.jpg

2hhzmmu.jpg

when i started long range rimfire my first rifle was a marlin 883ss exactly like yours. it was great on accuracy, but i quickly learned if i was going to shoot that much rimfire it needed to be a 22lr due to ammo cost, plus i learned the extra speed is not a good thing at longer ranges

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    How difficult was it to do Appleseed with a bolt gun? I've heard they generally recommend a semi.

To do well, you would need to be fast with your bolt gun. It is also more of a challenge if you are using a tube fed, instead of a mag fed gun.

Many riflemen have been given to bolt action rifles.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010

Bolt actions are good to go for Appleseed. The fundamentals apply equally to all kinds of rifles, and you'll get some good practice working the bolt smoothly and quickly.

And I'd really like you to come with a cz 455 so I can admire it and push myself farther towards getting one.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Haha, I'll have to look into these "Appleseed" events, never heard of them.

NEVER HEARD OF APPLESEED?! :welcome: to :ingo:

Appleseed is a nationwide heritage and marksmanship program. We share the history of April 19, 1775. We teach marksmanship that allows you to deliver well-aimed rapid fire to 400+ yards. And we talk about the heritage that our ancestors have passed on to us. Much of our marksmanship instruction is done at 25 meters and can be done with a 22lr (saves time and energy walking back and forth to the targets and keeps ammo cost down), but if space allows we always shoot at the farthest distance available to show that what is taught at 25 meters still applies at full distance.

We are family friendly. It's not uncommon to see husbands and wives, as well children and grandparents on the line. It's also a very cost effective program.

Here's an AAR from a recent shoot: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_in_appleseed_6_23_24_12_epic_pics_vids.html

You can also find more info here:
    Project Appleseed Home
    Appleseed - INGunOwners
    Appleseed - Search States

I know of one guy that's done it with a Cricket. :rockwoot: But I know of many that have done it with a bolt action. Bring whatever rifle you have and we'll help you shoot better with it. If it causes you too much of a struggle, many instructors typically have a loaner rifle or two available.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I think I may have been the only bolt-action shooter at my Appleseed event; it was my first time and I had an absolutely fantastic time. One of the greatest things I've done that had anything to do with firearms. You owe it to yourself to attend an Appleseed event.

Having said that, I went in not having a ton of experience shooting my Savage but they taught me the proper way to work the bolt, especially when prone, and that made it just that much better. I wanted that Rifleman patch but looked at it realistically that it was my first ever Appleseed and many shooters have taken 2, 3 or more events to earn their patch.

A score of 210 out of 250 will earn you the patch (and a great big sense of pride when you hear the stories being told and how that type of marksmanship help build America). I shot a 211 on my first and a 222 on my second attempt of the day. I was stoked and even a bit choked up to have managed to put together 2 series good enough to earn my patch first time out. I cannot wait to attend another one and bring one or two family/friends with me!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So you can shoot larger rounds for appleseed, but it's doable with .22 LR, no?

I'm looking for a .223 rifle as well, but I'm working on the gun fund for that :).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Went down to Atterbury's Shooting Complex and dialed in my scope. I can tell you one thing - the rifle is more accurate than me. When I put it on the rifle rest - it shot darn near the same hole every time at 50 yards. When I shoot myself using the bipod the grouping was larger than I'd like to admit (so I'll be working on that).

All in all though, had fun :).

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    So you can shoot larger rounds for appleseed, but it's doable with .22 LR, no?

I'm looking for a .223 rifle as well, but I'm working on the gun fund for that :).

As long as the range allows it, you can shoot anything up to 8mm. We simply recommend using the .22s for a large part of it to help keep the ammo cost down.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Next Appleseed event that is within a reasonable distance seems to be in September. We'll have to see if I can swing that, my first son will be here no later than August 14th (induction date if she doesn't go into labor by then) and having no children (before him), I really am not sure what to expect... :)

If not this year, than next year for sure.

Top Bottom