• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedDragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    thanks for all the info! looks like I'll have to make a trip up to Indy to look at CZ's (I'm in Bloomington), and Dick's has Savages

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My CZ 452s are all excellent shooters and with the right ammo can make one small jagged hole with 5 shots at 50 yards. The CZ comes in a variety of models and rimfire calibers and ALL shoot well. KS&E on Pendleton Pike in Indy has the best prices around on CZ rifles. :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Any know anything about the CZ 453?

The 453 is a 452 with a single set trigger. You push the trigger forward to set it and then it has a very light pull to the rear like a normal trigger to fire it. Some ppl don't like the trigger b/c when set the trigger is pretty far forward. I have 452s but no 453s. The 452 trigger is very easy to modify. I used springs from ACE hardware, $.60, to modify mine. :yesway:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What is your budget? I have owned several Marlins, and for the money they are a great rifle. I just sold one that I bought as a package deal. It was $204 for the rifle and scope. Savage also makes a damn good rifle. My favorite being a MKIIFV with heavy barrel. I paid just under $300 for the rifle, and have roughly $500 total in it, with the rifle, scope, rings, and bi-pod. I have shot groups smaller then a nickle with match ammo. I have never owned or shot a CZ. For the money though, I think Savage is definatly tier one out of the box.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    good plinkers... not looking to spend a lot...

-.22LR
    -bolt-action
    -magazine-fed (not necessary, but it'd be nice)
    -wood stock
    -scope mount

Marlin 981T, I know, no wood stock, but the tubular magazine to me is more of a plinker that a box magazine.

photo_981T.jpg

Savage Mark II G

markiig.png

My favorite .22 is a savage Mark II BV, nice laminate stock but not really "cheap" or a "plinker" (too heavy).

Or just run around to a few LGS's and they'll probably have some good used ones on the rack.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Tube fed rifles are nice due to the variety of ammo they will eat. Especially if you are in an area where you might want to do pest control on the DL, with CB shorts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    My nephew has a marlin 22 bolt and the trigger is just terrible and it was this way
    when his dad bought it for him new.
    You have to pull so hard you couldnt possibly keep it on target

has anyone else had this experience

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I've got a CZ 453 Varmint and love it. When set, the trigger is about 14 oz. Very accurate. Nice wood and fitting. Get the CZ factory rings to fit the european grouved receiver. Over at Eagle Creek, the RO's and I would have fun chasing pieces of 45 brass around the 50 yd. berm. They aren't as low priced as others but the are a keeper for a lifetime. Have the feel of a center-fire rifle. Mine was about $350 at KS&E about 3 years ago.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    Take a look on rimfirecentral.com. Theres a lot of good information and helpful postings and mods. With alittle looking you find most of your questions have already been answered in one form or another. That being said I've got cz's, a savage, and an anschutz. The only downside of the CZ is the $30.00 per extra magazine. Although it's more expensive than the savage. Much better quality steel, fit and finish.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My CZ 452s are all excellent shooters and with the right ammo can make one small jagged hole with 5 shots at 50 yards. The CZ comes in a variety of models and rimfire calibers and ALL shoot well. KS&E on Pendleton Pike in Indy has the best prices around on CZ rifles. :twocents:

What ammo do you have the best results with? I have the Military Training Rifle.

Top Bottom