• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    My dad recently stopped by and dropped off one of his rifles for me to have since he doesn't shoot very much anymore. It's a Browning A-bolt with iron sights chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. I don't think he has ever shot it but it looks like it will be a fun rifle. Now the question is, do I bother trying to shoot it with the iron sights? will the recoil make it harder to aim compared to a scope? I have a R700 in .308 that I like to shoot but I'm not familiar with 7mm at all. The rifle already has spots where I can install a mount. I have seen a few see-through scope rings that are raised up so you can still use the iron sights, but I feel like I wouldn't be able to get a good cheek weld on the stock if the scope is so high. anyone have any experience with these kinds of things? Should I just get a scope and mount and not worry about the iron sights? What do you guys think?
    20140408_191903.jpg

For some reason it wont let me attach the other pics of the actual sights. I'll keep trying to upload them.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    why not try it with the iron sights? Me, they are to far forward and close together.. I would want a rear tang mounted peep sight if I were going to dedicate it to iron sights... otherwise scope it.

Contact A and A optics and he can walk you through all the options and choices when it comes to scopes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    IMO see thur rings should not exist. To me its simple, shoot scoped well, or shoot irons well, but don't do either 1/2 ass'ed. With see threw rings a check weld is gone. If someone thinks they will be in situation's that would benefit from iron sights, but wants the scope for longer range, or more precise shots, I say chose your scope carefully and you can have the best of both worlds.

To determine if you want a scope or irons, you must first decide the purpose of the rifle. Purpose dictate's the proper equipment for the job.

Feel free to email me at alan@aaoptics.com, call me at 765-580-0986, or PM me on this site if I can be of assistance.

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll shoot around with irons on it first and see how I like it. Now is the task of finding an outdoor range where I can test it out.

IMO see thur rings should not exist. To me its simple, shoot scoped well, or shoot irons well, but don't do either 1/2 ass'ed. With see threw rings a check weld is gone. If someone thinks they will be in situation's that would benefit from iron sights, but wants the scope for longer range, or more precise shots, I say chose your scope carefully and you can have the best of both worlds.

To determine if you want a scope or irons, you must first decide the purpose of the rifle. Purpose dictate's the proper equipment for the job.

Feel free to email me at alan@aaoptics.com, call me at 765-580-0986, or PM me on this site if I can be of assistance.

Alan- I agree with you on the see-thru rings. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions on them. I will definitely give you a shout when if I decide to throw a scope on it. Maybe a scope with a quick-detach mount could work? Although wouldn't I have to re-zero after remounting?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll shoot around with irons on it first and see how I like it. Now is the task of finding an outdoor range where I can test it out.

Alan- I agree with you on the see-thru rings. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions on them. I will definitely give you a shout when if I decide to throw a scope on it. Maybe a scope with a quick-detach mount could work? Although wouldn't I have to re-zero after remounting?

Not with the right set of QD's

Beech grove firearms is the only rifle rated range in the area that I know of.... Don's is, but you take your life into your own hands going there.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    There was a time that scopes were considered a novelty, or at best, unreliable. Iron sights with a see through mount were a standard for hunting rifles when this was the accepted rule. Today, even a mid-price scope is probably more reliable than the average scope from 30-40 years ago, and as such, see through mounts and the like have gone to the wayside.

Shoot the rifle with irons first, and see what you can do with it. You might be surprised how accurate you can be. If you decide that irons arent for you, go good, since you have nothing in the rifle, the scope will be the only thing actually invested in it the total price of the package will be very reasonable for the end result.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I say scope it and handload for it! I used to have a 7mm Rem mag. That round is potentially a rocket ship! Close range shooting isn't utilizing much of it's potential, unless you need to put down a charging Grizzly! Have fun with her! (Kicks a bit harder than your .308!)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Serious safari hunters hunt dangerous game routinely with iron sights. You never see a scope on a .470 nitro express double rifle. (admittedly a cape buffalo is a bigger target than a praire dog) Multiple generations of Military riflemen used iron sights, mostly with single shots or low capacity bolt actions, and they won wars. I have seen VERY few people bragging about shooting tiny groups with a fine scope off the bench that can pick the rifle up, walk a few hundred yards and stand on their own two feet and even remotely replicate the accuracy. I had a scope on my squirel rifle. I took it off because I didn't like the restricted field of view. Shoot the thing. You might surprise youself.

Top Bottom