• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I have a Remington 770 in 300 win mag. I was at the range today and after 7 shots, I could no longer slide the bolt back. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Should I just take to a gun shop? Who here works on bolt action rifles? Any advice or help I greatly appreciated. Thanks.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Does this t have a fired case in the chamber ????? If so, Wack the bolt handle with a rubber mallet.. Put a piece of wood on the bolt handle and wack it with a hammer.. Start soft and progressively hit harder until the bolt opens.
    Is this factory or reloaded ammo ?
    Was the bolt hard to close on a loaded round ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Put a proper sized rod down the barrel....Un-latch the bolt and pop the spent casing out. The bolt was not made to be hit with a hammer. Wood block or not.

Yeah it may survive but still.....same way t get a stuck steel cased spent cartridge out of an AR.......works.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This makes me wonder if you had an overpressure round.
    Once you're able to extract the fired case, carefully examine it for pressure signs.
    That would include a flattened or cratered primer, blown primer, deformed case head, or shiny spot on the back of the case head where the extractor plunger was.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Put a proper sized rod down the barrel....Un-latch the bolt and pop the spent casing out. The bolt was not made to be hit with a hammer. Wood block or not.

Yeah it may survive but still.....same way t get a stuck steel cased spent cartridge out of an AR.......works.

This right here. Listen to him!

Avoid whacking the bolt handle. I had one given to me last year that someone did not trim his reloaded brass. After he got it stuck he whacked the handle with a 2x4 and broke it off. I was able to get the round out and re-silver solder the bolt handle back on. Free rifle to me but a lesson learned for the fellow.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    IIRC, my bolt wouldn't unlock completely, don't know if using a rod to push out a spent case would work. Whacking maybe a strong term, it was more likely tap, tap, tap, until the bolt unlocked.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On a 700 the cocking pc rides along an angled edge on the bolt.
    Matte finish guns have a rougher surface and if not lubed will stick.
    This is actually a common problem......on new guns. Lube that section.
    Or disassemble the bolt, polish, reassemble and then lube.
    A little Shooters Choice grease and you should be good to go.

Angled surface in the pic

IMG_12681.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If that's OK and the gun rather new, you could have a burr in the chamber, proly right by the belt.
    I got a like new '74 tiger striped walnut BDL in .300 mag.............that had such a burr.
    It was like new for a reason! :)
    I was able to get the stuck case (about round 10) out and see the drag on it.
    Careful polish and it was fine.
    Took it to a gunsmith first, and he said he could do it..........but was going to use way rougher sanding material.
    I decided I'd rather do it myself, went more reserved and it took two attempts to remove the offending burr.
    40 rounds at the bench and they slid out slick as a whistle.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Seconded on wanting to see the brass, particularly extreme closeups of the sides and the rear of the case head.

Top Bottom