• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I bought the Savage BA10 Stealth in 6.5 CM. I like it but I got in at under a grand b4 they fancied 'em up. I like the accutrigger and the gun is accurate. That said, if I was humping it around on a long walk after coyotes, I'd buy a GRS or build an AR in .243 WSSM If 6MM was the caliber of choice.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My data indicates otherwise. The 110smk has a wind advantage at all ranges.

I compared the 110smk at 2900fps to the Berger 105 hybrid at 3100fps and the 95smk at 3200fps.

From a 100y zero on out, the 110smk is superior. At 500y, it has about 30% less windage than the 95smk— even though it starts 300fps slower.

But your point is still valid: the advantage of the heaviest bullets is small enough that you have to be at very long range for it to really matter. And it’s definitely not something to rile at the awesome .243 over.

IMO, the windage on ballistics charts have to be taken with a huge grain of salt because the calculation assumes both constant wind speed and direction which is basically the worst case scenario. Rarely is the wind speed constant over short distances let alone long ones and even wind direction is apt to vary quite a bit at long range. So while 30% less wind drift at 500 looks certainly looks impressive, in reality the actual real world difference in wind drift will likely be significantly less than that most of the time. If you shoot/compete a lot at very long range, have a very accurate rifle, and are very good at reading the wind you might see some real world difference.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    IMO, the windage on ballistics charts have to be taken with a huge grain of salt because the calculation assumes both constant wind speed and direction which is basically the worst case scenario. Rarely is the wind speed constant over short distances let alone long ones and even wind direction is apt to vary quite a bit at long range. So while 30% less wind drift at 500 looks certainly looks impressive, in reality the actual real world difference in wind drift will likely be significantly less than that most of the time. If you shoot/compete a lot at very long range, have a very accurate rifle, and are very good at reading the wind you might see some real world difference.

You are absolutely correct, a very salient observation. The real world difference in windage would be much smaller than the charts suggest-- and certainly less significant than the shooter's ability to read it.

One of the key factors for me in .243 vs 6CM is the availability of premium (Lapua) brass. Thankfully, Lapua offers both cartridges. But the 6cm has the advantage (for target use) of a small primer and the smaller flash hole from the 6BR. Lapua feels so strongly about these as accuracy enhancement measures that they offered their 6.5CM brass this way also, as well as their own 6.5x47.

For a dual-use gun for which target shooting is also desired, I think this would be nice to have. Yes, I know it's a pain for the decapping pins, but I can manage that.

And if one were concerned about the cold weather ignition reliability (I've seen reports of hang fires in cold weather with some powders and SRP/small flash hole combo), then it's as simple as using Hornady brass and large primers and working up a hunting load.

But there's something to be said for the ubiquity of the .243. And just because I plan on handloading doesn't mean that it's still not an advantage to be able to go buy some cheap CoreLokt at every store. And if the .243 factory twists can still push a 95smk, then that realistically should cover it.

I do have a few concerns about 6cm, but that's another post.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW.............I dislike the vertical grip of tactical stocks.
    Prefer a reg sporter stock for hunting.
    And lugging a heavy bbl around is a chore.
    For yotes, or chucks (we still have any?).........

I'd get a 700, put a sporter or maybe heavy sporter bbl on it (Remage) and drop it in an HS stock.
    Slap something like a 4-12X on it and be done.

That if punching paper too.

If just hunting, sporter w a 3-9X.

Or if you have the funds, build a sporter for hunting and a boat anchor for target.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My yote rifle is a sporter 700 in .243win. I used it on chucks and had a 4-12X on it.
    Reg Tupperware stock works fine (since it's been stiffened up w epoxy in forend).
    Put a 3-9X on it, and have yet to figure out what color HS stock I want ;)
    Being a sporter, it could work as a backup deer gun for crappy weather.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm painfully aware that a target rifle sucks for hunting and a hunting rifle sucks for target shooting. So I'm aware of the inherent challenge here of trying to square the circle.

I'm leaning to the Savage 12 Varmint Low Profile in .243.

I'm a sucker for wood and stainless.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw a stainless/walnut M70 featherweight a few yrs back, she was a looker!
    Was in wrong chambering for me though (whatever it was).
    Just remember it had color and figure that was stunning.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For a walking varmint rifle I thought a Ruger #1 A might be cool in .243 win.
    Or if I had lots of $, do one in 6mm 223
    Like #1 B just fine, but that's a bipod rig IMHO.

Yeah, I know the thread is bolt rifles for yotes.

I have one already ;)
    Just thinking about adding one LOL

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Is the a Rem 700 model I should be considering? Do they offer a .243 in a 9-ish twist with a heavy barrel?

I know very little about 700s.

On Edit: looks like a SPS Varmint and VLS might be contenders.

But for the same price I can get the 10 GRS from Savage with that awesome GRS Berserk stock.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For varmints I really like the 70 gr Nosler BT. Has shot well in five Remington .243's.
    Standard twist rate (whatever that is).

Dunno how they'd shoot in a bbl designed for the heavies.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Is the a Rem 700 model I should be considering? Do they offer a .243 in a 9-ish twist with a heavy barrel?

Oh, Big Green's .243 twist rate is off the wall for some reason. It's 9.125". The twist shoots flat-base hunting 100's just fine, but probably is not (no... WON'T)... run heavies like the 107 Matchking.

I use an old standby, the Sierra 85 Gameking, and run it at a moderate pressure load good for about 3/4 Minute. From an 18" Model 7 with a featherweight factory barrel, I'm totally okay with that kind of accuracy.

The 700 VLS and the SPS Varmint come in .243 with a heavy barrel.

The VLS' laminate stock is far superior. Superior enough that I strongly doubt it's much of a limiting factor. I pillar and glass mine anyway, but it's a pretty solid stock.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm back to the 6mm Creed because of 1) Lapua small hole brass and 2) 8 twist Savage and 3) It's $599 at Cabelas!

I real 10 FCP-SR style Savage at $599 is a good deal IMHO.

Word on the boards is that the 8 twist Savage will stabilize 115 SMKs. No word on DTACs (not that I could afford to be launching them regularly).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Model 7 stainless (w HS stock and 20" pencil bbl)...........did .75" with 70 gr Nosler BT handloads.
    I was happy with that, but not the feel of the gun.......just too whippy.
    Should have put on a heavier bbl and kept it...........but nope, I screwed up and let it go.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hohn said:
    Word on the boards is that the 8 twist Savage will stabilize 115 SMKs. No word on DTACs (not that I could afford to be launching them regularly).

The DTAC *is* a 115gr Matchking...LOL

In seriousness, the 115gr DTAC should shoot fine from a true 1:8 but the 110gr SMK is almost certainly going to be on the ragged edge of stability.

I shoot 107 SMKs @ 2800fps from my SIP-built 20" 1:8 6mm Dasher (which I'd have recommended except for your price point) because they.just.work.

Top Bottom