• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    My last Gun Broker purchase arrived in poor condition, the bolt-knob on the Savage Mark II BTV was sticking through the box and is badly scarred.
    The seller is unresponsive and even though UPS accepted the package for shipping and insured against they have no responsibility to me the property-owner, only to the shipper.
    Savage will repair the damage for about $135-170 including shipping and more FFL fees.
    I need to find a local smith who can do traditional bluing at a reasonable price. Who do you recommend?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If it's just the bolt handle, I can clean it up and reblue I for you. I've done a few handguns and they've turned out nice using Brownell's Belgian Blue.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Iv'e had one gun come in dmamged through UPS and they took care of it really well. Although it was the shipper/seller who had to do the work. I shipped out an AR-15 with a scope on it and it was delivered with the scope broken in half! I used USPS and it was a real pain, but ehty finally paid off. Again, it was all up to the shipper (me) to take care of!

Anyways, get ahold of me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Doug K

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It sounds like savage quoted a price to replace the entire bolt and to check headspace. Unless you are a perfectionist, I sure wouldn't spend that kind of money on a scratched bolt handle.

Especially since I wrap my bolt handles with plumbers tape anyway. I would just sand the scrapes out of it, use cold blue or paint it. But then, all my rifles are field rifles that get banged up anyway....JMO

Top Bottom