• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Has anyone built a Bomb/Storm shelter? I want to build one but I have a few obstacles. I live in a new construction neighborhood (small back yard). And I am currently unemployed:xmad:. As of right now there is an empty lot next door so construction equipment could be easily moved around (not that I could afford it now). I would like to build something that would work for long term occupation. I'm a bit of a pessimist I think when the SHTF it's gonna be BAD.
    Any suggestions???

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's a link to a .zip file that has numerous plans for shelters of various sizes. Some (many) are DIY projects and can be fitted in a small space. Unless you have a sizable lot, don't count on one being something for long term habitation. That takes a lot of space and cost. Your most likely need in Indiana, is as a storm shelter. For other things, you might actually be better off fortifying your house with good windows, shutters, secure doors, etc.

Shelters.zip

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    i have built a storm shelter on the side of a house block walls with rebar in every core and filled with concrete concrete roof about 10" thick with rebar in the entire roof then installed a heavy steel door from a metal building company and framed a roof on top of the shelter to match the house roof line and it's ready for furring strips and vinyl siding gets into some money but super nice:yesway:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    for me the water table is too high, too close to the lake

jake

You could emulate mjones and build one next to your house - or even reinforce an interior room. FEMA.gov and probably NOAA.gov have information on building a "safe-room" - which designs could serve a dual purpose up to a point. If you search the internet for Kearney's Nuclear Survival Skills, you should be able to find a copy in Adobe Acrobat. There is plenty of good info in there about building hasty fallout shelters and radiation detection equipment. Combine that with the info for safe rooms and you should be able to self-construct an above-ground shelter which will adequately protect you from tornadoes as well.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    If only I had the Spot and the Dough (and I wouldn't be filling it with Booze.... Well... not much anyways) :rockwoot:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

OR

http://www.texasshelters.com/jumbo.htm

Other then the fact that in my opinion the whole design is great until you get to a Outward opening door? Change the door to a inward opener with assist and you have a nice cave to wait out the worst!

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    If I remember, 5' culvert pipe, buried under 3+ feet of soil, is enough to protect against most fall out. Though not comfortably.

We haven't built anything yet.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If you have a basement then building a room inside of a room is an option. You could build a block room inside your basement and make sure to lower the ceiling a few feet and add insulation on the top to give you more shelter.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Does anyone know of a contractor that installs precast storm shelters in Southern Indiana?
    I have seen the units that go above ground, I am looking at the ones you bury 2/3rds below grade.

Top Bottom