• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Surely this has come up before. I shot my first deer of the year - antlerless. Am I ineligible to shoot an antlered deer now? The wording on the licenses seems funny.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If you shot an antlerless deer on a firearm license and not a bonus antlerless then you are wrong! The firearm license allows for only one antlered deer not a doe. Read and understand the rules and laws for the game you are hunting before you go into the woods.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If you shot an antlerless deer on a firearm license and not a bonus antlerless then you are wrong! The firearm license allows for only one antlered deer not a doe. Read and understand the rules and laws for the game you are hunting before you go into the woods.
    If You shot a doe using a bonus antlerless tag, you still have your firearms tag and are free to take a buck. This is assuming you bought a firearms deer tag, and a bonus at antlerless tag.

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I have had very experienced people tell me the opposite ruling, including the processor I took him to. The reason I am posing the question is to gain definitive knowledge from people more knowledgeable than me, preferably from someone with government insight.

However, thanks for the advice. I will try diligently to know everything.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You took "him" to the processor?..........that means you shot a buck.

Sex alone does not determine how the license applies.

A buck can be legally killed on a "doe tag" (notice they call them "antlerless tags")....if no antler is over 3" long.

To use a "buck tag", the deer must have an antler over 3" long.

Antlered does (over 3" antler) would be considered "antlered bucks".

Bonus/antlerless tags are not weapon specific.
    Firearms tags are "buck only" (3+ inch antler).

Buying the license bundle is not weapon specific...........is two antlerless and one antlered.

Due to the need for target identification.............the tags go by what's on top o' the head, not what's between the legs.
    If you want to shoot stuff that's right around 3".............best to have antlerless and antlered tags (just in case).

An archery tag is not sex specific and would allow you to take any deer within season.
    But should it go over 3" then you'd be "bucked out" and your "extra archery license" would be "antlerless" only.

Normal hunting seasons.......we are a 1 buck state.

Special and urban hunts may allow for added antlered deer take.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom